Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
If you do a search you will find lots of posts. Most use major prand bulbs, Sylvania, Phillips, Hella; rated for either +30% or +50% light output.
Most find somewhat shorter life.
Some find it is worth it, some do not.
I purchased from www. powerbulbs.com, but there are other sources.
I find bulbs sold for the european market are usually +50% where the same named bulb in the US may only be a +20% or +30% type.
e.g. Silverstars

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have the Sylvania Silverstars and have been very satisfied with them. They give off a trace of blue hue in the light, like the HID's and I found them to be definitely brighter than the stock bulbs. Some have reported otherwise, but I noticed a marked improvement.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars

I've used the $10 HID bulbs commonly sold on eBay (80W/100W) in my Maxima and PIAA superwhites ($80 on eBay) in my Landcruiser.

All produced brighter, whiter light.

I didn't perform a side by side comparison, but I don't feel the PIAA's are worth the extra $. The Sylvanias perform well. I've had them in now for about six months and they don't pull the higher current that the low cost HID like bulbs require.

For the $, I'll probably buy the cheap HID bulbs when the Silverstars burn out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
N_Jay,

I tried to go on to the powerbulbs site you mentioned but they don't show any bulbs for the Pilot. Not sure if I did something wrong

Thanks in advanve for your help.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
mylehigh said:
N_Jay,

I tried to go on to the powerbulbs site you mentioned but they don't show any bulbs for the Pilot. Not sure if I did something wrong

I believe the Pilot uses the standard "HB2" bulb size (combo hi/lo beam). If I'm not mistaken, the HB2 bulbs can also be labeled H4 or 9003.

·
Registered
367 Posts
100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

The stock headlights are really very good,well aimed,good coverage,but I wanted more light ,so I got 100/90 Phillips Rally bulbs($15 each) at www.suvlights.com.I also got a heavy duty wiring harness to take the extra wattage(~$50).
They work great,much better than any(PIAA ETC) of the bulbs that claim 55=100w and 60=115 or 50% brighter.Those bulbs will give you 50% more light,but only thru a specific area(BRIGHTER IN THE MIDDLE ,BUT DARKER ON THE EDGES)..The total light they put out won't be 50% more,it will be the same,or a little less,if the bulb is tinted.I even tried 80/80 PIAA's-and they were good,with a nice white light-but these 100/90 Phillips produce more light;granted it is typical halogen(slightly yellow) light.Luck,Charlie PS The true HID's will produce 3 to 4 times as much light as regular halogens with the same wattage draw,but none of the halogens will.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
mylehigh said:
N_Jay,

mylehigh: The PowerBulbs web site's "bulb" choosing selector hasn't been updated to include the 2003 Pilot, yet...

However, if you choose the H4 (aka 9003, aka HB2) bulb, then that size will fit the Pilot -- I just ordered mine last week (don't forget to convert the price from Great Britain pounds to U.S. dollars)...

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:

mylehigh: The PowerBulbs web site's "bulb" choosing selector hasn't been updated to include the 2003 Pilot, yet...

However, if you choose the H4 (aka 9003, aka HB2) bulb, then that size will fit the Pilot -- I just ordered mine last week (don't forget to convert the price from Great Britain pounds to U.S. dollars)...
These guys are good.

Yes the Pilot uses HB2/9003 bulbs. THese are the DOT certified version of the H4.
Only H4 bulbs that meet certain focus and brightness specs are labled HB2/9003.
Any H4 will fit fine, but a cheap H4 may be out of focus. Good H4 bulbs will be in focus, but might be brighter than allowed by USDOT.
:2:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
RE: PowerBulbs

N_Jay said:

These guys are good.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Just as a follow-up on this and to close my loop...

...I ordered my bulbs from PowerBulbs on 7/29 and they arrived 7 days later (today, 8/5) from the United Kingdom... :29:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: 100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

charlie said:
The stock headlights are really very good,well aimed,good coverage,but I wanted more light ,so I got 100/90 Phillips Rally bulbs($15 each) at www.suvlights.com.I also got a heavy duty wiring harness to take the extra wattage(~$50).
They work great,much better than any(PIAA ETC) of the bulbs that claim 55=100w and 60=115 or 50% brighter.Those bulbs will give you 50% more light,but only thru a specific area(BRIGHTER IN THE MIDDLE ,BUT DARKER ON THE EDGES)..The total light they put out won't be 50% more,it will be the same,or a little less,if the bulb is tinted.I even tried 80/80 PIAA's-and they were good,with a nice white light-but these 100/90 Phillips produce more light;granted it is typical halogen(slightly yellow) light.Luck,Charlie PS The true HID's will produce 3 to 4 times as much light as regular halogens with the same wattage draw,but none of the halogens will.
I'm not sure what wattage the stock bulbs are, but be a little cautious to not go TOO high of wattage when installed in a housing with a plastic reflector. It is possible to discolor the reflector surface. For example, the OEM bulbs on my ST are 45/45 and some of our group have used the some of the high wattage alternatives only to ruin their reflector.

Good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Re: 100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

colorider said:

I'm not sure what wattage the stock bulbs are, but be a little cautious to not go TOO high of wattage when installed in a housing with a plastic reflector...
Hmmm good point. I wonder if anyone knows where to find the wattage. I'm looking for a replacement but don't want the wattage to vary too much...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

yolk said:

Hmmm good point. I wonder if anyone knows where to find the wattage. I'm looking for a replacement but don't want the wattage to vary too much...
Actually, it is probably in the owners manual but I was too lazy to go look this morning (besides, I rode my MC to work). :)

Kemo has the manual "on line" - we can look there.....

EDITED
I just looked at the manual - it indicates 60/55 for the headlights.

·
Registered
234 Posts
N_Jay said:
I find bulbs sold for the european market are usually +50% where the same named bulb in the US may only be a +20% or +30% type.
e.g. Silverstars
Hmmm, Sylvania's (same company as Osram which sells Silverstars in Europe at +50%) US website has this FAQ:

# What’s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?

* The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have an amethyst blue coating to help give the whiter light appearance. The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light. Both bulbs offer greater luminance or increased brightness.

I wonder if its this amethyst blue coating that makes the difference in the +30% vs +50% output. Also, could the US version be whiter ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

colorider said:

Actually, it is probably in the owners manual but I was too lazy to go look this morning (besides, I rode my MC to work). :)

Kemo has the manual "on line" - we can look there.....
Thanks Colorider. I found the post.
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=56401#post56401

Kemo: Have we thanked you enough for putting the manual on-line ? If not, thanks again ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Colorider-thanks for tip-guess I'll be guinea pig

Colorider,thanks for the tip;that hadn't occurred to me.Frying the wiring was an obvious concern,but the reflector melting didn't cross my radar.
Is the whole reflector plastic?There is the reflector directly in front of the bulb,and the reflector behind the bulb-both plastic??Hmm?Guess that is another advantage of true HID;less heat.
The ST is the Honda Sport tourer they have made forever-your icon?Much handier than the Wings,and just as highway capable.I have a handful of old(read cheap) bikes-3 SR500 Yamaha's(78-81 vintage kickstart street singles)-a XT500(dual purpose version of SR's-and a SV650 modern Suzuki Vtwin (cheap also).We ride all year in Louisiana,no real winter.
I love the SR's,spent $$$ on one of them to dramatically increase the power-29hp to ~44hp.Ha,Ha,it is still the slowest MC on the streets,but I am addicted to them.No reason to it,I just like the sound,feel,and look of them.
Thanks again for the tip.Charlie
PS Guess I will be the guinea pig.Your tip will keep me on my toes;I will eyeball the lights every week or so.I have the same sort of setup on my Tundra,but I use 130/100 Narva bulbs on it.Better check it also_Oh,I should have mentioned that these bulbs aren't DOT approved,so they are illegal even though they put out less light than the legal stock HID setups.I am not too concerned,since I keep then properly( very slightly lower than stock) aimed):doubt any cop will make a night stop to pull my bulbs and check the wattage,or DOT approval.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
bulbs/reflectors and such

Charlie,
One other thing that I guess will enter into the formula is that on motorcycle the headlight is on all the time - thus more heat and chance of damage.

I'm assuming that the Pilot reflector is all plastic - so it would still be a bit of a concern to me if considering higher wattage bulbs.
:)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Colorider-thanks for tip-guess I'll be guinea pig

charlie said:

The ST is the Honda Sport tourer they have made forever-your icon?Much handier than the Wings,and just as highway capable.I have a handful of old(read cheap) bikes-3 SR500 Yamaha's(78-81 vintage kickstart street singles)-a XT500(dual purpose version of SR's-and a SV650 modern Suzuki Vtwin (cheap also).We ride all year in Louisiana,no real winter.
I love the SR's,spent $$$ on one of them to dramatically increase the power-29hp to ~44hp.Ha,Ha,it is still the slowest MC on the streets,but I am addicted to them.No reason to it,I just like the sound,feel,and look of them.
Now were talking!!! Yes, the ST has been around a LONG time - first introduced in Europe. I've owned 4 of them (never wore any out though) dating back to 1991.

7.4 gallon fuel tank and 50+ mpg makes for a VERY nice range - better than a Wing or virtually any other bike on the market.

XT500 is a COOL bike!!!

(sorry for the Thread Drift)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 100-90 phillips wiring harness upgrade

yolk said:

Thanks Colorider. I found the post.
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=56401#post56401

Kemo: Have we thanked you enough for putting the manual on-line ? If not, thanks again ;)
yolk: Not a problem -- glad the online manual was helpful!!! As long as at least one person found it useful, then it was worth all the effort getting it scanned and uploaded!!! :)

1 - 20 of 127 Posts