Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights have burnt out three times in the last two years. Not always on the same side. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
My headlights have burnt out three times in the last two years. Not always on the same side. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks for the help
What brand of headlight elements are you using, what year pilot:confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Same thing happens to my 05 Pilot. Those bulbs just suck.

·
Administrator
15,369 Posts
FWIW, the original plain jane halogens in my Pilot lasted over 100k miles. The "fancy" silverstars barely made it five thousand on one side and the other blew out at 4am in the morning just before a 960mile drive.....

I use plain jane Halogens now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you replaced the lights, did you by chance by the brightest ones advertised on the packaging? The brighter ones are usually overdriven to get you that extra brightness, so they don't last as long. That's normal.

If you buy the plain jane, regular cheapo ones, they usually last longer. Kinda counterintuitive, but it's the truth.

Or you can just convert to HIDs and get the best of both worlds! :29:

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, the original plain jane halogens in my Pilot lasted over 100k miles. The "fancy" silverstars barely made it five thousand on one side and the other blew out at 4am in the morning just before a 960mile drive.....

I use plain jane Halogens now.
What is the brand of this plain jane halogens light?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think the dielectric grease will help? When I replaced the first set of headlights last year, there was this light yellowish dielectric grease on the connector.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Certainly that can help. But what kind of bulbs are you using? There could also me a moisture leak in your headlights.

@megatron. Dude is right. I've gotten about 3 years on my HID bulbs so far and they are still going. Granted one of my ballasts burned out a while back but that's another situation all together. Just a tip, don't get cheapo kits and get the 35w ones. I heard 55w kits burn out alot faster. (that is if you do a drop in kit ofcourse)

·
Registered
301 Posts

Thanks for the help
Maybe this is too basic a question, but you don't touch the bulbs with your fingers when installing them, do you? You need to have gloves or use a cloth (like a handkerchief) so no body oils get on the bulb. If you touch them their life is noticably shortened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2008 Pilot and it is an excellent vehicle. Like several others, I was frustrated with replacing headlights three times in 12 months. I did some research and some bulb manufacturers had the nerve to publish expected bulb life in hours in their literature. One bulb manufacturer warrants their H11 bulbs to last 180 hours. Really? That's 90 days of me traveling back and forth to work in the dark.
I have owned cars before where I replaced the headlights after several YEARS!
So these bulbs are only doing what their manufacturers say they will do. (Sylvania, Osram and even PIAA were bulbs I used).
My last bulb blew out in January. I decided to try Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED headlights. The pair cost $150. But that will save me money over time instead of three pair of halogens per year.
Since installing the SL1s I have only used my high beams three times. These 'low beams' are that effective.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,490 Posts
Out of curiosity is the beam pattern on these the same as the OEM bulbs? I looked on the manufacturer's website, and they claim they are the same. If you have the time I'd love to see OEM bulb on one side and the LED on the other, pointed towards a garage door or wall 20 feet away.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I decided to try Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED headlights. The pair cost $150. But that will save me money over time instead of three pair of halogens per year.
Since installing the SL1s I have only used my high beams three times. These 'low beams' are that effective
It's challenging to select a good LED headlight bulb among the many LED headlight bulb choices out there given the expense and unknown quality. On any given night it's easy to see plenty of drivers have upgraded to LEDs but some are poorly focused with glaring intensity that can be hazardous to other drivers. Your pictures with the Diode Dyn SL1, show a good improvement in lighting up the road over the old halogen bulbs. Post up your experience with any flashbacks from other drivers, re-aiming of the light housing and LED performance in the rain.

·
Registered
752 Posts
As mentioned in the above posts the SilverStars halogen bulbs may be a bit brighter but they burnout like clockwork so stick with regular halogen bulbs if you don't want to replace them every year. And keep your oily fingers off them too.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have a 2008 Pilot and it is an excellent vehicle. Like several others, I was frustrated with replacing headlights three times in 12 months. I did some research and some bulb manufacturers had the nerve to publish expected bulb life in hours in their literature. One bulb manufacturer warrants their H11 bulbs to last 180 hours. Really? That's 90 days of me traveling back and forth to work in the dark.
So these bulbs are only doing what their manufacturers say they will do. (Sylvania, Osram and even PIAA were bulbs I used).
My last bulb blew out in January. I decided to try Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED headlights. The pair cost $150. But that will save me money over time instead of three pair of halogens per year.
Since installing the SL1s I have only used my high beams three times. These 'low beams' are that effective. View attachment 135001 View attachment 135002
Your the guy ?

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,490 Posts
As mentioned in the above posts the SilverStars halogen bulbs may be a bit brighter but they burnout like clockwork so stick with regular halogen bulbs if you don't want to replace them every year. And keep your oily fingers off them too.
When the original OEM bulbs in our Pilot kicked the bucket at the 12 year mark, I gave the super bright halogens a try. They lasted less than a year, so back to OEM bulbs for my wife’s Pilot. And to add insult to wasted money the light output wasn’t much better compared to the OEM bulbs.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,415 Posts
Since installing the SL1s I have only used my high beams three times. These 'low beams' are that effective. View attachment 135001 View attachment 135002
You don't say where you live. If you live in a cold climate have you tried them in snowy conditions? My 2020 Passport touring is all LED and one of the issues reported with LED headlights is snow build up, as they just don't get hot enough to keep the lenses clear. Bought it in January and haven't had enough snow to test them where I live.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts