Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gonna shovel out $160 for some euro style aftermarkets but after taking a shot at my beater accord first I said to hell with it and tackled the pilot. They didn’t come out as good as the accord but worlds better than before.
Driver side
Before

After

Passenger
Before

After

I worked my way from 300-2000 grit and they still look slightly cloudy which is a bummer but from the looks of it the light has been resealed before so I’m wondering if it’s oxidation on the inside that I’m seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used the Meguire's headlight restoration kit on my '08 and was very pleased with the outcome. Unfortunately, I didn't save any "before" pics, but they were very similar to what yours looked like. I used an electric "Mouse" sander instead of sanding by hand and it worked very well. I just made sure I used plenty of water and not too much pressure. The kit had enough materials for me to do my Pilot and my daughter's CR-V.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the Meguire's headlight restoration kit on my '08 and was very pleased with the outcome. Unfortunately, I didn't save any "before" pics, but they were very similar to what yours looked like. I used an electric "Mouse" sander instead of sanding by hand and it worked very well. I just made sure I used plenty of water and not too much pressure. The kit had enough materials for me to do my Pilot and my daughter's CR-V.

View attachment 132613
View attachment 132614
View attachment 132615

View attachment 132616
Your afters look incredible!!! I did my commuter accord prior to doing these and they came out similar to yours, so I know I didn’t start with too aggressive of a grit or anything of the sort, here is my accord example.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you detail your vehicle, a mild to moderate compound with a buffer will do a pretty good job on the headlights quickly. I figure it will be an annual thing, but its maybe 15 minutes for both sides while I'm doing the rest of it anyway.

OP - you might try that to reduce the hazing that's left. By hand would be a chore, but a soft foam pad on a random orbit sander will give you results very quickly, if you're going to get anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you detail your vehicle, a mild to moderate compound with a buffer will do a pretty good job on the headlights quickly. I figure it will be an annual thing, but its maybe 15 minutes for both sides while I'm doing the rest of it anyway.

OP - you might try that to reduce the hazing that's left. By hand would be a chore, but a soft foam pad on a random orbit sander will give you results very quickly, if you're going to get anything.
I finished with my rupes Bigfoot DA and 3D Speed polish so that’s what has me questioning the outcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used the 3M kit. If you don't have a power drill for the buffing wheel it really doesn't work. Make sure you apply the UV coating at the end or you will be doing it again after a year

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need the restoration for my Pilot's lights and saw that my local Walmart with an autobody shop will do headlight restoration for $25. At that price I will give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts