Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Headlight Protectors

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ruacop2 
#1 ·
Anybody try thise? They appear to be invisible soft plastic covers for the headlights.

Headlight Protectors

#2 ·
I was thinking of getting some of those 3M invisible covers which is usually used on the hood, like a bra. I called up a few places in town and they sell it to whomever wants it. I wouldn't even doubt if it's made from the same stuff. Also check out www.stoneguard.com. They have some neat stuff for the Pilot if you're interested in more protection.

#3 ·
Those covers look like they'd work on glass lens headlights or the "flat front" headlights like the ones in the picture and on my last car. I could have used them on my last car - lost two headlamps in two months due to gravel from cement trucks.

Do you think they'd be much benifit on the well rounded, lexan covers already on the Pilot?

#4 ·
I've tried them both and...the best is...

I ordered a pair of headlightcovers from stoneguard.com.they came in thick clear tape form.I tried to put them on and after I had put 1 piece on(about 25 min.),I did not like it,because it was not firmly or smoothly I should say,it was so thick and because of the way the headlight's curve,it was impossible for me to stick that biggle thick piece of plastic on.So I peeled it off and now I've stuck with one useless piece.Then I surfed the net and found apair of head light covers from Ventshade.This is much nicer and easier to install,if you have installed those window louver shades then you would know how to install these covers.They 're available in Smoke and clear.Mine are smoke,look real cool.

#6 ·
Be careful with the smoke covers. In most states they are not legal, including Texas. I don't know of anyone being ticketed for this but you could be. I have also seen some which cut down the light at night. I think that is why they are illegal.

#7 ·
4603pba said:
Be careful with the smoke covers. In most states they are not legal, including Texas. I don't know of anyone being ticketed for this but you could be. I have also seen some which cut down the light at night. I think that is why they are illegal.
Yes, you're right,they're illegal in Tx,but just like the tinted windows,there certain degrees of the darkness could be legal.Mine are not too dark,at nights the lights are still bright.So far,I have not gotten pulled over yet.
I'll take some pics and post them later.Promise.

#8 ·
XPEL

I had the Xpel headlight protection professionally installed for less than $100. I figured if I had to pay $50 for the material, might as well have a professional put it on so I don't screw up. I watched him do it and it is a tough job. He took approx. 20 minutes for each lens. He was constantly squeegeeing and watering the film but in the end, it was a perfect fit. I don't notice any degradation in light output and no residue. Plus it comes with a $1000 headlight replacement warranty. I would take some pics but you can't even tell its on.

http://www.xpel.com/headlight/applications.html

#9 ·
I bought the headlight protectors from MacNeil, where I bought my Weathertech mats. They were 39.95 I believe. I put them on the Pilot in about 30-40 minutes, with my 7 year old son helping. His job was to keep my fingers moist with a water alcohol solution, which is KEY to avoiding fingerprints on the finished product.
It came out GREAT, they fit perfectly, cover the entire light.

I have similar gaurds on my 99 Subaru, they are nearly 4 years old now, and have saved me big bucks. Here in New Mexico, there are lots of rocks and gravel getting kicked up all the time, ready to break lenses and windshields.:2:

#10 ·
Have you got a web link to the MacNeil protectors?

#12 ·
sandstonepilot said:
I bought the headlight protectors from MacNeil, where I bought my Weathertech mats. They were 39.95 I believe. I put them on the Pilot in about 30-40 minutes, with my 7 year old son helping. His job was to keep my fingers moist with a water alcohol solution, which is KEY to avoiding fingerprints on the finished product.
It came out GREAT, they fit perfectly, cover the entire light.

I have similar gaurds on my 99 Subaru, they are nearly 4 years old now, and have saved me big bucks. Here in New Mexico, there are lots of rocks and gravel getting kicked up all the time, ready to break lenses and windshields.:2:
SandstonePilot,
How thick were those pieces?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.