Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Nice, and even gives it a sealed beam quality look.

I wonder if good old glass headlights will ever make a comeback someday, either in sealed beam format or other.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts

I wonder if good old glass headlights will ever make a comeback someday, either in sealed beam format or other.
Why would it? Plastic lenses can be molded into any shape dictated by the design much more cost effectively than glass lenses. Not to mention the weight savings and I'd argue the flexibility in the lens makes them tougher against things like stones thrown up on the highway vs. a glass lens.

I'm open to any benefits they may provide other than taking you back to the good old days...

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
Now that you got them all pretty again, you might want to look at one of the film covers to keep them that way with little to no work as well as to protect them from chips and scratches. There are several makers such as Lamin-X, and Xpel, to name a couple. Fairly easy to put on if you have patience.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts

For obvious reasons, like side markers built into the the head light, I doubt sealed beam will make a comeback. Glass headlight assemblies would be great. Easier to clean. If it gets a Rock chip, it could be covered under insurance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used the Meguiar's heavy duty kit on my old Pilot. It lasted well over a year. Lights still looked like new when the car was totaled.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
In my limited experience, petro-based car wax and polish products seem to take the biggest toll on plastic headlights. They yellow, craze, and fog up. Moral: Tape 'em up when you do paint correction or waxing. If you want to save them a little, a water/alcohol coating like Rain-X will do a little to keep them clean, and more important make it easier to remove bugs and tree sap.

I put plastic 3M shields on the German glass lenses. Seems to protect them better from rocks and road junk. The shields cost about as much as a new Pilot aftermarket headlight.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Why would it? Plastic lenses can be molded into any shape dictated by the design much more cost effectively than glass lenses. Not to mention the weight savings and I'd argue the flexibility in the lens makes them tougher against things like stones thrown up on the highway vs. a glass lens.

I'm open to any benefits they may provide other than taking you back to the good old days...
At least in the good old days you had the option of installing replacement headlamps from either Cibié or Hella so that you could get decent forward lighting.
Now, as the IIHS tests demonstrate, headlight performance varies from excellent to abysmal.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
In my limited experience, petro-based car wax and polish products seem to take the biggest toll on plastic headlights. They yellow, craze, and fog up. Moral: Tape 'em up when you do paint correction or waxing. If you want to save them a little, a water/alcohol coating like Rain-X will do a little to keep them clean, and more important make it easier to remove bugs and tree sap.

I put plastic 3M shields on the German glass lenses. Seems to protect them better from rocks and road junk. The shields cost about as much as a new Pilot aftermarket headlight.
Oh boy! One of the first things I did on the new Highlander last Fall was to get a coat of wax on it-and the plastic headlight lenses thinking it would offer some protection!

I'm glad you said something-won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

For obvious reasons, like side markers built into the the head light, I doubt sealed beam will make a comeback. Glass headlight assemblies would be great. Easier to clean. If it gets a Rock chip, it could be covered under insurance.
Right: they didn't yellow or glaze over nearly as much or as fast, came in standard sizes that were less expensive than most of today's headlight assemblies, and were generally easier to swap out, not to mention the uniformly decent illumination.

But I know, I'm not holding my breath. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Now that you got them all pretty again, you might want to look at one of the film covers to keep them that way with little to no work as well as to protect them from chips and scratches. There are several makers such as Lamin-X, and Xpel, to name a couple. Fairly easy to put on if you have patience.
I can vouch for Lamin-X. I At first I felt they were overpriced, but now after a few years, I can't believe how good and long-lasting they are.

Report back at the end of the summer with how long the treatment lasted.
With pics, of course. :)

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
Right: they didn't yellow or glaze over nearly as much or as fast, came in standard sizes that were less expensive than most of today's headlight assemblies, and were generally easier to swap out, not to mention the uniformly decent illumination.

But I know, I'm not holding my breath. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I can vouch for Lamin-X. I At first I felt they were overpriced, but now after a few years, I can't believe how good and long-lasting they are.

With pics, of course. :)
I used Lamin-X. Especially like how the yellow fog light film looks and work now.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
118 Posts
I have refinished with a couple of different kits and the foggy milky appearance has returned. I am almost tempted by the RA replacement headlight units. They are inexpensive and look identical to oem. My only question is how long the nice new appearance with last.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I have refinished with a couple of different kits and the foggy milky appearance has returned. I am almost tempted by the RA replacement headlight units. They are inexpensive and look identical to oem. My only question is how long the nice new appearance with last.
There's that, and unlike the easy-peasy taillight housing replacement, for the headlight housing replacement you have to remove the whole gol-dang bumper.

Seeing the testimonials, I'd try the Cerakote first (as soon as they start shipping to Canada again, sheesh).

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
118 Posts
There's that, and unlike the easy-peasy taillight housing replacement, for the headlight housing replacement you have to remove the whole gol-dang bumper.

Seeing the testimonials, I'd try the Cerakote first (as soon as they start shipping to Canada again, sheesh).
I went with clear coat second time. I am convinced there is really no long term solution. Especially if your vehicle is not garaged all the time and is exposed to lots of uv sun light.

Yes, the bumper cover must come off to install new units. YouTube diy videos detail the steps. Not for everyone but I am certainly up for it. Just not sure if aftermarket RA’s will hold up though.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Oh boy! One of the first things I did on the new Highlander last Fall was to get a coat of wax on it-and the plastic headlight lenses thinking it would offer some protection!

I'm glad you said something-won't be doing that again.
What wax? Many of the synthetic formulas are much safer for plastics. Personally, with how good the spray sealants/spray ceramics/spray graphene (still not 100% about the graphene sprays) have proven to be the last 3-4 years I would only use an old school paste or solid wax on my classic car. And all of those sprays are excellent on plastics too.

Yup, same here. I found Wipe New wipes seemed to last as long as anything else and were 100 times easier to do. I'm interested in this Cerakote kit, if it leaves behind a durable coating that lasts more than 4-6 months it would be worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yup, same here. I found Wipe New wipes seemed to last as long as anything else and were 100 times easier to do. I'm interested in this Cerakote kit, if it leaves behind a durable coating that lasts more than 4-6 months it would be worth it in my opinion.
The Meguiar's kit that I used had an acrylic that was applied after sanding and buffing. The lights still looked new after more than a year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts