Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warning tones for leaving my headlights on, and keys left in ignition quit working years ago. Not fun to come back to the truck only to find a dead battery so finally decided to try and fix it. After a number of information searches came across a recommendation to replace the door switch or at least swap it with the one from the passenger side. Did that an magically the warning tones started working again! It appears the control module (or whatever it is) couldn't tell when the door was open. Anyway, a potential and inexpensive fix that might save you from being stranded at some time.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Did you replace, or swap one side for the other?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
329 Posts
With that symptom, did you notice your dome lights coming on when the driver door was opened? Sounds like the switch froze shut.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at Pull-A-Part picking up some CRV trim when I decided to see if there was a sound module or something I could get off one of the Pilots to fix my problem. Figured it had to be something you'd plug into an inside fuse relay or something (wrong). Wife did a search and said a couple of posts mentioned the door switch so I picked one up there off an Odyssey since they were identical. Came back, slapped it in, and my key and headlight warnings started working immediately. One search result said to swap the passenger and driver side switches to see if that fixed the problem. I would assume you'd still have two working switches so this would just be a test? I'm praying it also fixes the problem I'm having with my vehicle locking itself unexpectedly, sometimes with the door open, sometimes with it shut. It will also sometimes set off the alarm when I go to start the truck. Thinking that may also be tied to the switch being bad, time will tell. I know my neighbors don't appreciate the alarm after their young kids have already gone to bed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't remember there really ever being a problem with the interior lights coming on/off when they should, and that would certainly be reliant on that same switch? Makes me wonder about that aspect now that you mention it. I rarely ever use the interior lights and usually keep them toggled off just to frustrate anyone that might want to break into my truck. I do want to replace the bulbs with something much brighter when I do though.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I don't remember there really ever being a problem with the interior lights coming on/off when they should, and that would certainly be reliant on that same switch? Makes me wonder about that aspect now that you mention it. I rarely ever use the interior lights and usually keep them toggled off just to frustrate anyone that might want to break into my truck. I do want to replace the bulbs with something much brighter when I do though.
Some inexpensive LED T10s from Amazon will brighten up the interior. Nearly any T10 replaces the 168/194 etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't popped the lens covers off yet. Do all the interior lights use the same type bulb? Map, center, and back?
Here it is over a month later after switching out my drivers side door switch. Still haven't had the first problem with the doors locking themselves or the alarm going off when starting. The headlight and key in ignition warnings are still just chiming away like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Fellow Piloteer @wingnit kindly posted this a couple of days ago. (y)

I just changed all my lights inside and out, what a difference. Here is the list of all the replacement bulbs.

Headlight Low WhiteH11
Headlight High /Running Lite White9005
Fog light WhiteH11
License Lite White194
Door Lite White194
Dome Lite White194
High Stop Lite Red194
Back-up Lite White921
Brake Lite Red7443
Map Lite WhiteDE3175
Side Markers Front Amber194
Side Markers Back Red194
Tail Lite Red7443
Cargo WhiteDE3175
Turn Signal Front Switchback W/A3457
Turn Signal Rear Red7443
Vanity Mirror White6615F

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Then there's this from my 2006 Owner's Manual.

Caveat! I think they got the low beams and the high beams [email protected]$$wards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts