Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlights on my 08 are a bit too far gone. I did a restoration kit on them year and they are hazy again. I am sure if I do it again, I will do permanent damage to the headlights.

I've been searching on car-part.com for several weeks trying to find some decent condition headlights off a wrecked Pilot, but they end up costing about $80/piece and they aren't in great condition. I found a pair on Amazon for about $120. I am sure they aren't the nicest, but I don't anticipate keeping this car long enough to car.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on places I should search? I really would prefer OEM Honda and would be fine buying used, but I don't want to pay the same for crappy headlights.

Also, I'm getting conflicted info on whether you have to fully remove the front bumper or whether you can get by without it.

If anyone has done this to their Pilot, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Keep buffing them. You can use regular swirl remover if you're already detailing - that's a lot cheaper than a kit. Even a little polishing rouge and a buffing wheel in a drill will help, but it will be harder to get an even buff.

I really doubt that you'll damage anything, but if you do you're no worse off than you are now.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
If you decide to replace them, here's how.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep buffing them. You can use regular swirl remover if you're already detailing - that's a lot cheaper than a kit. Even a little polishing rouge and a buffing wheel in a drill will help, but it will be harder to get an even buff.

I really doubt that you'll damage anything, but if you do you're no worse off than you are now.
Why are you recommending that over just replacing them?
I believe the headlights are worn through so if I do any more sanding/polishing they’ll end up cracking. There are some small cracks already there.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The headlights on my 08 are a bit too far gone. I did a restoration kit on them year and they are hazy again. I am sure if I do it again, I will do permanent damage to the headlights
The ones you find in the wreck yard might be as old or bad as yours. Partly because of this post and that my bumper is already off I may consider some aftermarket headlights that might interest you. Won’t be OEM quality but they’re also not OEM priced.
Did you coat the headlights after you did the restoration?

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Why are you recommending that over just replacing them?
I believe the headlights are worn through so if I do any more sanding/polishing they’ll end up cracking. There are some small cracks already there.
Polishing shouldn't remove much material, and a few small cracks won't matter. That said, I'm not looking at what you have, so I'm just speculating on what's appropriate. To answer your question, though -

1. As aggrex notes, junkyard replacements aren't likely to be in better condition than what you have.
2. I have more faith in old OEM than new low-cost replacements.
3. I usually try the quick, cheap solution first, and for me, buffing headlights is basically free and takes 10 min.
4. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to an old Pilot.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polishing shouldn't remove much material, and a few small cracks won't matter. That said, I'm not looking at what you have, so I'm just speculating on what's appropriate. To answer your question, though -

1. As aggrex notes, junkyard replacements aren't likely to be in better condition than what you have.
2. I have more faith in old OEM than new low-cost replacements.
3. I usually try the quick, cheap solution first, and for me, buffing headlights is basically free and takes 10 min.
4. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to an old Pilot.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Yea that makes sense. I guess for me $120 to see really good at night doesn’t seem too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts