Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many watts "RMS" into how many channels the head unit on the EX provides? Anyone would need to know this before upgrading speakers and deciding if an external amp was needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe it's 30 watts per channel into 5 channels. The woofer gets its own channel, and the dash tweets are in parallel with the fronts. Since it's unspecified, I'd bet that's 30 watts peak. I'll leave it to you to do the conversion to RMS.

The stock speakers are rated for 30W max (see Bernie's install pics that show them clearly marked). These are the same Alpine speakers that are stock in the MDX. Many of the MDX folk replace them with the Infinity 652i, which fits in pretty easily.

The woofer is somewhat of a pain to get to, since you have to remove the rear door sill trim, the tailgate sill trim, the D-pillar trim, and the 3rd row seat before removing the side trim panel.

For a quick hit, upgrade the speakers to improve sound quality dramatically. This won't address the power limitations, though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, seems like if I wanted to go to a less efficent yet better speaker, ie MB Quart; I would need an additional amp.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not necessarily - you can always sacrifice a couple of dB for better sound. Bad sound is hard to listen to at any volume level.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I guess if I were going to listen to the MB Quart at low levels the 30 watts (if that's RMS) would work. However, all the research I've done, indicated to drive the MB quarts QSD mod to mid or higher volume levels require 60+watts RMS.

Joe

·
Registered
991 Posts
How do the Pilots speakers sound? for factory or they just ok?

rob

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their pretty good for factory speakers. I'm looking for more detail, tighter bass, better imaging.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts