Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there are bits and pieces of info out there that I may be able to piece together but I would really like a concise conversation about current options available to me.
I have a 2005 EX Pilot.I’m looking to replace the stereo with a touch screen/car play head unit.Currently have an analog double Din up top and a multi disc changer below. here are my questions.
1.) what head units are people using out there. I’m fine with main stream products but would prefer an Android based system like a Pumpkin or something similar. Cant seem to find something that is confirmed to work and use all functionality.
2.) I do not want to lose use of the stock sub so please if there is any advice on this, I would love it.
Any and all info is helpful. My Pilot is our 3rd car and it’s super low miles with a full off road set up on it currently so I want to make sure we have the best set up for the adventures we take. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That’s kenwood got it from crutchfeild they have everything you need to hookup your head unit including the adapter for steering controller
Agreed....Crutchfield is the way to go since they have the install sheets, adapters and know what fits etc.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
That’s kenwood got it from crutchfeild they have everything you need to hookup your head unit including the adapter for steering controller

What model? Is your sub woofer working still? Kicker 10 inch and the amp to power it up is kicker also because when you change head unit you lose the amp for the sub the new stereo has an amp inside for your door speakers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed....Crutchfield is the way to go since they have the install sheets, adapters and know what fits etc.
I appreciate the obvious in Crutchfield. My post actually says I’m looking for something like the pumpkin units if possible. I want access to the odb2 via bluetooth that a lot of the newer android units have. Crutchfield is great but also doesn’t have anything like this.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
I appreciate the obvious in Crutchfield. My post actually says I’m looking for something like the pumpkin units if possible. I want access to the odb2 via bluetooth that a lot of the newer android units have. Crutchfield is great but also doesn’t have anything like this.
This kenwood mirrors off androids and if you wanted to find information for a fault code an obd2 scanner wood do the trick and harbor freight has a nice Zurich for about 180 and it does airbags wheels sensor oil light reset

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you add an amp? Not sure why this needs to be a game of picture show and tell. I’m actually interested in dialogue about what to do with my vehicle. If I wanted to do a google image search I would have. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you need to add an amp to power the sub? As far as Crutchfield says, the sub is powered by a channel is on the stock head unit. If I get a shallow mount sub and that Kenwood head unit, will I need to run an amp as well or can I power off of a channel in the head unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good timing. I was just exploring options for my 2008.

If you still have the 2006 - 2011 factory head unit as I do, iSimple CarConnect to Select Honda Vehicles shop now seems like a great option because I like the knob layout, factory road noise cancelling sub in the back, and simple text display which I plan to hack. I have a 7" android tablet with a docking station mounted beneath "not an ashtray" that is my computer interface so I can take it with me if. The dock has a USB host port so if I want to connect a real computer, I connect a USB network adapter and VNC to use the tablet as a PC display.

PAC led me to this page https://catalog.pac-audio.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=713 which revealed the XM receiver used GA-NET which lead to IEBus - Wikipedia and to Audio System Description and to GA-Net+ Acura / Honda - car bus, monitor, buttons, carPC - Adapter which will be useful for my wife's car and adding a computer.

But you have a 2005 without the factory head so ISHD751 is irrelevant except the part about maintaining the factory sub. Look at the other PAC solutions for your ride like PAC AAI-HD3 and the various steering wheel integration kits. Raspberry Pi Car Project : DIN Slot Starter Guide Liymo Double DIN Raspberry Pi PC There is a guy that has open sourced the sheet metal DIN mounts. PUMPKIN: PUMPKIN as you already mentioned is a fine option.

Perhaps the Pumpkin combined with some PAC products gets you everything you want. In lieu of PAC, there are other aux adapters like Car Music CD Interface Adapter Cable AUX Input For Honda Accord Civic Odyssey | eBay
The nice thing about PAC or PIE http://partydown.com/manuals/HON03-AUX.pdf adapters is that they can be set to emulate a CD changer OR a XM receiver depending on your needs. Most generic units are CD changer emulators only which makes hacking the text display less flexible.

Edit: if you need to mount an android screen there is always this option 10 Best Rearview Mirror Android Of 2021 | Reviews By Qteros, Inc.
Macchina for extra fun OBD2 stuff.
And The only road rage fixer site. - in case you want to do something altruistic with your car android device.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I dunno - visited the website, looks like this Pumpkin stuff is similar to other various Android units from China, like Seicane, Carnaviplayer, etc. You wanna experiment with those, it is up to you.
My own setup is built around an Alpine ILX-207 head. Not sure what you want to be able to do in your car, but I would say vast majority of people just want navigation, playing music of their choice and phone call handling. And proper Android Auto/Apple CarPlay support should give you all of those.

Rear camera - my Alpine works best with an Alpine camera, but will support any aftermarket one with a standard RCA composite output.
Steering Wheel controls module - I opted for Maestro SW, but if I wanted to, I could go with Maestro RR, which has an ODB2 plug, and via iDataLink (which ILX-207 supports) can give whatever info/control options available on the car model. I.e. can get full gauges etc. Most US built cars also allow climate control via iDataLink, but Honda supposedly doesn't.

XM - if you car about it - I can get a Sirius SXV300V1 module, My Alpine is fully XM ready.

Now, about that sub - factory sub is downright anemic. One fairly easy option is to replace door speakers with wider frequency response two-way ones- you will never notice that the factory sub is gone, and your sound will be 10x better.
Another option is to get a small amp. Something like this
Can be powered from accessory socket, and perfectly capable of driving OEM sub.

Or you go all out, and put in a proper sub and a proper amp to power it (I got a 5-channel 75Wx4 + 300 RockfordFosgate)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dunno - visited the website, looks like this Pumpkin stuff is similar to other various Android units from China, like Seicane, Carnaviplayer, etc. You wanna experiment with those, it is up to you.
My own setup is built around an Alpine ILX-207 head. Not sure what you want to be able to do in your car, but I would say vast majority of people just want navigation, playing music of their choice and phone call handling. And proper Android Auto/Apple CarPlay support should give you all of those.

Rear camera - my Alpine works best with an Alpine camera, but will support any aftermarket one with a standard RCA composite output.
Steering Wheel controls module - I opted for Maestro SW, but if I wanted to, I could go with Maestro RR, which has an ODB2 plug, and via iDataLink (which ILX-207 supports) can give whatever info/control options available on the car model. I.e. can get full gauges etc. Most US built cars also allow climate control via iDataLink, but Honda supposedly doesn't.

XM - if you car about it - I can get a Sirius SXV300V1 module, My Alpine is fully XM ready.

Now, about that sub - factory sub is downright anemic. One fairly easy option is to replace door speakers with wider frequency response two-way ones- you will never notice that the factory sub is gone, and your sound will be 10x better.

Or you go all out, and put in a proper sub and a proper amp to power it (I got a 5-channel 75Wx4 + 300 RockfordFosgate)
Thank you for the response. Most of this is 100% what I needed to know. Only thing that I don’t believe will work is the maestro rr. I think that is only good for 2006 or newer. I have a 2005. That is the functionality I want though. The gauges and other ODB2 Info, as well as the other capabilities it gives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now, about that sub - factory sub is downright anemic. ... you will never notice that the factory sub is gone, and your sound will be 10x better.
That may be true, but the factory sub does actively cancel road noise. I can't be sure that feature is in your vehicle or which systems contain it. My manual didn't mention it and there was no way to turn it off other than disconnecting it, but we had it malfunction a while back and it started actually amplifying road noise as we went faster. That was how we discovered it was there. Dealer replaced the factory amp. There was a very noticeable difference between malfunction, off, and on working properly.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ANC system is either in the factory head or it is a separate module that talks to the factory head and factory amp. It is calibrated to the factory sub, so people who leave factory head and update speakers/sub can end up with some major overcompensation - the general advice for those who do that is to disconnect their ANC microphones.
However, if one replaces the audio head, ANC system is pretty much out of the window anyway.

I can't say I noticed much difference in road noise (2013EX) between having all-OEM audio with ANC and going full aftermarket (head/amp/speakers/sub)

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Plenty of inforamtion in the audio section of the forum. People put all various brands into their First gen pilots

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

You mention going with a door speaker with a wider frequency (2-way). Any recommendations?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Hey @scorrpio, I was thinking of doing a modest speaker upgrade myself in the spring. The Kicker speakers you linked to don't ship to Canada, but the Crutchfield site for Canada seems pretty good, too. I found these.

Kicker 46CSC54 CS Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield Canada

I understand these are not top of the line speakers, but do you think they would provide a noticeable upgrade from my 2006 OEM speakers or not really that much? Also, if you were buying just one pair, would you put them in the front doors or the rear doors? Why?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts