Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Head Light Guard this morning from Xpel. Will apply this after.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damage Good

Well, sorry didn't take a pics, because I f... up the right side this afternoon. The 3M tape are very thick and it is not to apply.

:mad: There go my $40.00. I re-order the right side and will getting it next Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Just curious, what went wrong. Were there instructions? Can you post them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WWong

Well, mistake was I used hair dryer to put some heat like the instruction said, but I put too much and it kind of bend out of shape. Also because it too thick make it very hard to do it yourself. I am an amateur, I guess I need the professional to do that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You really need

two people to install the headlight guard from Xpel. They are very thick to begin with (about 1.5 mm) and are not very pliable. They can conform to the Pilot's 3-dimensional headlight with a bit of heat applied to it, but not too much heat.

What I recommend is having a dedicated "heat guy." This guy's job is to apply the heat to the headlight guard so that it becomes more pliable, softer and a bit easier to work with. The caveat with working with this headlight guard is that if too much heat is applied to it, it will shrink and harden up, rendering it useless. I would also recommend an adjustable heat gun rather than a hair dryer. Even though the hair dryer has a hi/med/lo setting, you really need a lot more control of the amount of heat being applied to the 3M material. The other job of the "heat guy" would be to spray the anchor solution of rubbing alcohol and water while the headlight guard is being positioned and fastened down in place.

The other set of hands would be for the guy actually positioning and removing the anchor solution from the headlight guard. What's being done here is that the headlight guard is being applied "wet" style as opposed to "dry." Applying it wet provides better results in my opinion. As long as there is some sort of liquid between the headlight guard and the headlight unit, you can safely lift the headlight guard and re-position it.

What makes this job a two person job for the novice user is that you're dealing with a headlight that has 3 axes (x, y, z). The unfortunate thing about this is that you're dealing with all THREE axes at the same time. It's hard to visually describe, but what you're trying to do is to position the headlight guard, achor it down to the headlight unit by removing the water/alcohol mix with a squeegee. It's frustrating to say the very least.

I hope this kinda helps you out.

-Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's a picture

of part of the installation:

The picture below is what I'm trying to describe in my first response... see the ripples of the headlight guard? That's where you need to apply the heat gun... to shrink it just enough to make it stick to the headlight. What's being done right now is the anchor solution (alcohol/water mix) is being squeegee'd out.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts