Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in WallyWorld yesterday, getting some Dot 4 Brake Fluid for my GSXR1000, to bleed the front brakes after I installed a newer Master Cylinder on it- to match the upgraded calipers I put on it too.

Remember this guy on Saturday morning cartoons?

I always think of him when I think 'the Master Cylinder' LOL,

Anyways, as I'm looking for the Dot 4 stuff, I see these:

Yeah, Why do all that work if your head gasket goes out? Just dump in one of these bottles, good to go, right? LOL

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Personally I'd say it's worth a try or at least could help kick the can down the road a couple months. A head gasket might only take a half a day on a small block chevy but I imagine it's quite an ordeal on most modern cars with the wiring, high pressure fuel lines, etc. Not to mention the multitude of plastic and aluminum parts combined with cheap hardware.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear, I'm NOT using any of this stuff,
just wanted to share. I think they'd be a poor bandaid for a radiator leak, or a leaking head gasket IMHO

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
If you but that, order a heater core and about 50% of the time, a radiator too. Japanese cores use smaller passages then domestic, generally plugs them up.
Statements like this make me want to reverse my statement... I'd say it's worth it to kick the can if it doesn't increase what needs to be replaced, but throwing a heater core into the mix is creating another huge PITA.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Statements like this make me want to reverse my statement... I'd say it's worth it to kick the can if it doesn't increase what needs to be replaced, but throwing a heater core into the mix is creating another huge PITA.
I think it's worth a shot if the car is already so far gone that you'll never be truly fixing it. If it's a $5 can that might make it run a few more months or send it to the scrap yard... sure - give it a go. Otherwise, NOPE.

I had a friend who had an old Mazda that we called the "Mazdaratti" that lived off of these instant fixes. That thing just kept running - admittedly 1/2 of the car didn't work, but it did drive down the road consistently.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm NOT using any of this stuff,
just wanted to share. I think they'd be a poor bandaid for a radiator leak, or a leaking head gasket IMHO

View attachment 145878
When the second rear main seal started leaking on the 1993 Quest with 248,000 miles, I dumped some Mobil 1 for high mileage cars in it. That slowed it down but didn't stop it. So I tossed some AT-205 in there and no more leak. Then the radiator decided to start leaking. So I put some Bar's radiator stop leak in it. No more steam. Heater still works but don't need it. So far the transmission is holding it's own.... literally. Basically keep the van to haul stuff I don't want to use the Pilot for. Just not worth putting any more money into it. For anything you plan on keeping any amount of time, I wouldn't suggest using any of these things, but they serve a purpose and do work if you don't care for how long.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think it's worth a shot if the car is already so far gone that you'll never be truly fixing it. If it's a $5 can that might make it run a few more months or send it to the scrap yard... sure - give it a go. Otherwise, NOPE.

I had a friend who had an old Mazda that we called the "Mazdaratti" that lived off of these instant fixes. That thing just kept running - admittedly 1/2 of the car didn't work, but it did drive down the road consistently.
When the second rear main seal started leaking on the 1993 Quest with 248,000 miles, I dumped some Mobil 1 for high mileage cars in it. That slowed it down but didn't stop it. So I tossed some AT-205 in there and no more leak. Then the radiator decided to start leaking. So I put some Bar's radiator stop leak in it. No more steam. Heater still works but don't need it. So far the transmission is holding it's own.... literally. Basically keep the van to haul stuff I don't want to use the Pilot for. Just not worth putting any more money into it. For anything you plan on keeping any amount of time, I wouldn't suggest using any of these things, but they serve a purpose and do work if you don't care for how long.
Yup both of you highlight where I'm at with our '08 Sonata... 165k, my wife drove it new off the lot and it's been excellent for us. But 2 years ago when we got the Traverse we were offered $750. So it's helped my MIL twice now when her car needed work and otherwise I alternate it and the Traverse as my DD. But it's got some switched going bad and I really don't feel like putting money into it since it's worth so little, so I will limp it along until something major happens.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yup both of you highlight where I'm at with our '08 Sonata... 165k, my wife drove it new off the lot and it's been excellent for us. But 2 years ago when we got the Traverse we were offered $750. So it's helped my MIL twice now when her car needed work and otherwise I alternate it and the Traverse as my DD. But it's got some switched going bad and I really don't feel like putting money into it since it's worth so little, so I will limp it along until something major happens.
The curb is about 275' from the house so it's a trek to get all the garbage out there on pickup days. So I just use the van to haul the garbage out to the street. Pretty disrespectful of a steed that has served me so well for so long. Sorry old girl.

I'm amazed these cars can go for so long and so many miles. My van is almost 30 years old, AC still works great, so do the engine and transmission. It has literally gone from here to the moon, over 240k miles. The moon is only 238,000 miles from earth. I wonder how much driver time behind the wheel that equates to? Or how many times the same original pistons have gone up and down in their original sleeves?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The curb is about 275' from the house so it's a trek to get all the garbage out there on pickup days. So I just use the van to haul the garbage out to the street. Pretty disrespectful of a steed that has served me so well for so long. Sorry old girl.

I'm amazed these cars can go for so long and so many miles. My van is almost 30 years old, AC still works great, so do the engine and transmission. It has literally gone from here to the moon, over 240k miles. The moon is only 238,000 miles from earth. I wonder how much driver time behind the wheel that equates to? Or how many times the same original pistons have gone up and down in their original sleeves?
It is truly amazing. You think about the much heralded engines of the past, like the Chevy Small Block... well guess what, those engines needed constant tweaking and love to run right. Sure, they could run forever without major rebuilds but our Sonata hasn't asked for anything other than a pulley that went up. Everything else has been done preventatively. What is @The Todd famous quote... "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me tell you about my 01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7L V8, RWD posit, manual 5 spd, etc., w/
269K miles on it. I still drive it and take short trips in it! (It's in the side yard this winter for the 'snow' though.) Original everything IN the motor, newer alternator, newer clutch. It ain't worth fixing (the front end ball joints), or selling LOL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Let me tell you about my 01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7L V8, RWD posit, manual 5 spd, etc., w/
269K miles on it. I still drive it and take short trips in it! (It's in the side yard this winter for the 'snow' though.) Original everything IN the motor, newer alternator, newer clutch. It ain't worth fixing (the front end ball joints), or selling LOL
The Sonata spends a lot of time as "yard art" too... my neighbor has a son who regularly has 4-5 friends over and their cars... living on a court most can't park right and end up angled across my driveway making it harder for me to get in and out. So the Sonata sits there, defending my driveway's honor.

During the week I'm OK, usually I try to park it Thursday evening after work the way I want it so over the weekend when the kids are over I don't have issues.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
when I worked at advance auto parts in some of the less well off neighborhoods we would sell the sh_t out of those stop leak bottles!! we even had a mechanic on our delivery route who would fix customers cars with blue devil products exclusively !!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I’ve had excellent results with the powdered AlumAseal. No issues at all.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
I was in WallyWorld yesterday, getting some Dot 4 Brake Fluid for my GSXR1000, to bleed the front brakes after I installed a newer Master Cylinder on it- to match the upgraded calipers I put on it too.

Remember this guy on Saturday morning cartoons?

View attachment 145869

I always think of him when I think 'the Master Cylinder' LOL,

Anyways, as I'm looking for the Dot 4 stuff, I see these:

Yeah, Why do all that work if your head gasket goes out? Just dump in one of these bottles, good to go, right? LOL
My grandpa had an old (around) 1983 Nissan pickup truck. He drove it almost every day on his farm or just around town. He beat the shit out of it, rodded the piss out of it, never changed the oil or checked it LOL one day he figured out the head gasket was on its way out, pressurizing the coolant system. So he opened a can of that one morning. Dumped it all in and never had a problem after that. It lasted for probably two more years before his health took a turn and he stopped driving. In certain instances this stuff works, but it’s not something you can ever rely on. But screw it, if it’s going out might as well try it!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
So I tossed some AT-205 in there and no more leak.
I can't speak for all the other snake oil, but I'm telling you, that's snake oil that works. :)

It has literally gone from here to the moon, over 240k miles.
It literally makes my head explode
when someone misuses literally.

The ultimate unkillable engine was the slant six like I had in my 1964 Plymouth Valiant. I regret parting with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts