Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife would LOVE to buy a Pilot, but I want something with head AND side airbags, preverabley side curtain airbags for all three rows. Does anyone know if the 2004 model will have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
markhoot: Sorry, but it's still too early to know for sure what the feature(s) changes & additions (or subtractions) will be for the 2004 Pilot. Many discussions have been hashed out here on honda-pilot.org, but mainly, it's been speculation thus far... :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping they are added in 2004!

If you hear anything, drop me a line please. I'll be checking back here on occasion to see if anything appears. Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
markhoot said:
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping they are added in 2004!

If you hear anything, drop me a line please. I'll be checking back here on occasion to see if anything appears. Thanks again.

Mark
markhoot: Not a problem! Please continue to check back here when you get the time -- I'm sure many of us (me included) are scouring the Internet and waiting for the next issues of "Road & Track", "Car & Driver", "Motor Trend", etc... to see if there's any concrete information from Honda about the 2004 models!!! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
sale 2003 for 2004

I know this might sound crazy but lets think it out. How much off a hit would one take to sell a 2003 Pilot and buy a 2004 Pilot. Only if the 2004 is much better. Say if you had 7500 miles on it and no other problems. I guess it also depends on who you sell it too and for how much. Any ideas.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Well, if the '04 is "much better", then the price of the '03 will begin to drop pretty fast (which is part of the reason models aren't revised each year).

You would probably take a big loss unless:
  1. You got your '03 at a really low price.
  2. You find someone to buy your '03 at above market value.
    [/list=1]If the '04 isn't much different, then there wouldn't be a good reason to trade.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Guess~$9000-$10,000 +your Pilot

My guess is that it would cost someone with a low mileage(under 10,000) about $9000-$10,000 +your Pilot on a trade in deal.I think the dealer wouldn't give more than $22000(he could buy a new one for under $26,000,so he certainly wouldn't pay more),and he would initially want close to full list for the 1st month or 2.Full list on an EX~$30000,add $2000 for TTL,and you get close to $10,000.Is any feature worth $10,000? You could do better selling it privately(loose the sales tax advantage,of course),but it is hard to sell a pricy vehicle-~$25,000 or so.Luck,Charlie PS If they start to discount the 2004,you might get closer to just $8000 for the switch.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Or you could just suck it up and buy a Volvo.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Guess~$9000-$10,000 +your Pilot

charlie said:
My guess is that it would cost someone with a low mileage(under 10,000) about $9000-$10,000 +your Pilot on a trade in deal.I think the dealer wouldn't give more than $22000(he could buy a new one for under $26,000,so he certainly wouldn't pay more),and he would initially want close to full list for the 1st month or 2.Full list on an EX~$30000,add $2000 for TTL,and you get close to $10,000.Is any feature worth $10,000? You could do better selling it privately(loose the sales tax advantage,of course),but it is hard to sell a pricy vehicle-~$25,000 or so.Luck,Charlie PS If they start to discount the 2004,you might get closer to just $8000 for the switch.
I agree, charlie. And while I like all the safety features in the new models, us old farts survived driving in cars without them. I even remember, but never had, suicide knobs on the steering wheel.

Plus, airbags, while saving many many lives each year, have also created a new group of disabled. You may live, but at what loss of quality of life. A diiferent, albeit morbid, view of airbags.

·
Registered
367 Posts
no seat belts till late 60's

Jay,we didn't even have a AC for out 1st 3 cars,not till a 62 Rambler stationwagon(piece of junk with one of the 1st alloy heads,maybe block also,but the "new" tech of the alloy gave problems).
I am not sure when seatbelts came in-maybe about 1965;and they were just a single belt around the hips,no shoulder belt-no collapsible steering till mid 70's or so.Vehicles are so much safer.Oh,I forgot the crummy drum brakes.
I would love the side curtain bags,and if the 2004 has them,I will regret not waiting,but it won't even make my top 100 goofs,so no big deal.
If I were betting(and I did by buying a 2003),I would bet the 2004 won't have them.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: Guess~$9000-$10,000 +your Pilot

jay said:
Plus, airbags, while saving many many lives each year, have also created a new group of disabled. You may live, but at what loss of quality of life. A diiferent, albeit morbid, view of airbags.
Mark is looking for side curtain airbags, which are safer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me, too!

Lack of side curtain airbags are the main reason I haven't bought a '03 model.

The other thing I'd like to see is the ability to roll the back window down or have a separate 'hatch' from the current all-in-one back door (don't know what this is called in car lingo) for toting things too long to fit inside.

Like many, I, too, am anxiously awaiting arrival of the '04 models. (But it sounds like the two features I want are too major a change for a second year vehicle.)

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
markhoot said:
My wife would LOVE to buy a Pilot, but I want something with head AND side airbags, preverabley side curtain airbags for all three rows. Does anyone know if the 2004 model will have this feature?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark & MellowMama:

Consumer Reports Online is reporting that the '04 MDX will have head protection airbags. See the following thread:

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5019

Also, check out the '04 thread on our sister MDX site:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12730

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just bought my pilot this week (EXL RES) - I find it annoying that next month the 04's will be in the showrooms, but we are not allowed to make an intelligent decision about whether to wait or not as there is NO info available about the 04 - if there are side curtains and heated seats I will be a little PO'd - I guess the dealers would not be able to get MSRP, as many are now, if the new features were announced (I was luckily able to get it for 1700 below MSRP) - they are accepting orders for the 04's though...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I'd be surprised at any major changes for 2004. Side curtain air bags, for example, would require a major re-engineering effort. Not gonna happen. The biggest change I can envision is the addition of heated seats, only because ...
  1. It's already been done for the Canadian model.
  2. The uproar from them not being available from the beginning.
    [/list=1]
    But I doubt it will be a separate option. It will come with leather. And it will add to the cost (even though, for what we paid for leather already, it's disgraceful that they're not heated).

·
Registered
236 Posts
krygny said:
I'd be surprised at any major changes for 2004. Side curtain air bags, for example, would require a major re-engineering effort. Not gonna happen. The biggest change I can envision is the addition of heated seats, only because ...
  1. It's already been done for the Canadian model.
  2. The uproar from them not being available from the beginning.
    [/list=1]
    But I doubt it will be a separate option. It will come with leather. And it will add to the cost (even though, for what we paid for leather already, it's disgraceful that they're not heated).

1. Isn't Canada cold all the time, hence the need for heated seats. :) Here in Arizona I would like nice cool air conditioned seats :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
michaelp95 said:

Isn't Canada cold all the time, hence the need for heated seats. :) Here in Arizona I would like nice cool air conditioned seats :)
:werd:

Yeah I've mentioned that once or twice on this site.

But in every other car I looked at that has leather seats, heat is included (not a separate option). Just the thought of what I had to pay (~$1200) for a few yards of leather (and not great leather, at that). It's an insidious pricing scheme. They know the kind of consumer who wants leather, and they reason "If you're willing to pay $400 for leather seats, you're willing to pay $800. And if you're willing to pay $800, you're willing to pay $1200."

For that kind of money, they should be heated with Shiatsu massage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts