Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I bought my Honda pilot in 2016 and I drive about 500 miles a week. It has 96,000 miles on it, but I have followed the maintenance guides to ensure that it keeps running. When it hit 33,000 miles the dealership/service dept. had to do all the fuel injectors which thankfully they covered due to my service record with them. Well, they are having to replace the cam shaft, the thruster plate, and sensor which is going to cost over 2500 dollars. I feel like there is something fishy about having to replace these parts this soon especially when I know that I have taken great care of the car. Has anyone else had issues with their 2016? Thank you..

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Did you have a check engine light?
That is a high price for something located right on top of the engine.
Is the timing belt water pump job being included in this price?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have a check engine light?
That is a high price for something located right on top of the engine.
Is the timing belt water pump job being included in this price?
Yes, the dash lit up with 5 different issues. It made a jerking motion before the dash lit up. No, they didn't say anything about the timing belt.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Yes, the dash lit up with 5 different issues. It made a jerking motion before the dash lit up. No, they didn't say anything about the timing belt.
It be nice to know the trouble codes so we can give better advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If a cam shaft has to be replaced, then the timing belt will have to come off. At 96,000 miles it's almost due for a TB replacement anyway, so I'd find out if that $2500 includes a TB and water pump. It would be silly not to replace them.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
This is an uncommon problem to have. I wouldn't go forward with this repair until I knew more of what's going on. The thrust cover is near the ERG valve. Have they removed the EGR valve to remove the thrust cover to examined the wear marks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If a cam shaft has to be replaced, then the timing belt will have to come off. At 96,000 miles it's almost due for a TB replacement anyway, so I'd find out if that $2500 includes a TB and water pump. It would be silly not to replace them.
Good idea. I am totally "not car savvy", just an old lady. I didn't think to ask them, but I am calling to find out right now. Thank you...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an uncommon problem to have. I wouldn't go forward with this repair until I knew more of what's going on. The thrust cover is near the ERG valve. Have they removed the EGR valve to remove the thrust cover to examined the wear marks?
Not sure, I brought the car in last Friday and they called me at home. My mind went blank as soon as she stated the price and was to shocked to ask any questions. They just got the parts in this morning and are working on it right now.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Not sure, I brought the car in last Friday and they called me at home. My mind went blank as soon as she stated the price and was to shocked to ask any questions. They just got the parts in this morning and are working on it right now.
I'm I'm speechless.
I sure hope the timing belt water pump job is included.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have read posts about earlier Pilots that suffered from premature camshaft failure. The camshaft was not properly hardened, and wore rapidly, leading to excessive lobe wear, noise, and poor valve operation. Don't know if this was ever covered by a Honda TSB, probably not. They don't fix these things unless they are forced to. I am not aware that this problem has reappeared in the 2016 model year. Just why did the dealer feel that your cam was worn out? You deserve a clear explanation of why you need to do this expensive job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI,
I bought my Honda pilot in 2016 and I drive about 500 miles a week. It has 96,000 miles on it, but I have followed the maintenance guides to ensure that it keeps running. When it hit 33,000 miles the dealership/service dept. had to do all the fuel injectors which thankfully they covered due to my service record with them. Well, they are having to replace the cam shaft, the thruster plate, and sensor which is going to cost over 2500 dollars. I feel like there is something fishy about having to replace these parts this soon especially when I know that I have taken great care of the car. Has anyone else had issues with their 2016? Thank you..
Tried changing the gas for Chevron 91 at the pump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts