Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I recently bought a Sage EX. We frequent the Outer Banks of NC where they allow vehicles to travel on the beach... This isn't the packed sand like Daytona... This is deep, rough and loose sand. The kind that requires a 4wd vehicle.

I have taken many typical 4wd vehicles on the beach there (Z71 Chevy, Toyota 4wd p/up, 4Runner, Blazer, Expedition etc.) But we have yet to take the Pilot. My experience with the Expedition which had Ford's "Full time 4wd" was that it was still necessary to lock the transfer case.

Has anyone driven on the beach with their Pilot? Was the engaging of VTM-4 lock necessary? Overall, how did it do?

Thanks,

Allan

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have driven ours...

...down in pismo beach, ca. the oceano dunes. the pilot handles very well on loose sand, i did'nt even engage the vtm-4 on lock, did'nt even get stuck on loose sand upon moving from a complete stop and i did'nt even deflate my tires, and the best part of driving on sand is when you turn at a speed you do this power slide maneuver, kinda like gran turismo rally style. just don't run over sunbathers though!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been out on the Oregon coast with my Pilot and it does great in the sand! I don't lock the VTM-4, just leave it in it's normal driving mode. The deep loose sand around the dunes can get tricky, it's far from fool-proof - you can get stuck. If you have to stop or park in the real deep loose sand, try to accelerate gently without spinning when you leave.

Have Fun out there!

-Pete

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Luv all those pics of Pilots on the beach...my God, they're sharp-looking enough for a magazine photo spread.....

I had planned to submit my own Pilot-beach photo taken on a recent trip to Point Lookout State Park (at the tip of Southern MD, w/Chesapeake Bay on one side, Potomac River on the other).

But--boo hiss--a couple situations intervened to make that impossible:

1. It absolutely POURED the whole time I was in the beach area :(

2. Since I was last there several years ago, the state has seen fit to place rip-rap (rocks) along the whole area that used to provide vehicle access to the beach.

Ahhh well......

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've driven mine is some deep sugar sand areas along the beach and along the waterline (wet sand) and it does great.

Here is a pic of me driving along the waters edge with the SunShine Skyway in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anyone take theirs to Assateague national seashore along the off-road trail?

I'm planning on doing it but would like to know if any other Piloteers did it and have advice for me.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
TheRanger said:
Anyone take theirs to Assateague national seashore along the off-road trail?

I'm planning on doing it but would like to know if any other Piloteers did it and have advice for me.
I haven't yet, but hope to get over there before the summer's out. I'll be anxious to see how you make out!

Gee, until now I've never had a vehicle suitable for taking that off-road trail!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Getting ready to take mine to Myrtle Beach. To bad I can't drive on the beach. An y takers to bail me out if I get arrested for driving on the precious sand?? lmao!!:1:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
drm1111 said:
Getting ready to take mine to Myrtle Beach. To bad I can't drive on the beach. An y takers to bail me out if I get arrested for driving on the precious sand?? lmao!!:1:
In case you're arrested, just pull out one of these from your wallet... :D

Enjoy your trip to Myrtle Beach!!! :7:

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
kemosabe said:
h3xme and the Pilot at Kalaeloa Moon in Hawaii...
Kemo

Actually, it's titled Kalaeloa NOON! ;) :) I do appreciate you reposting my photo!

Actually, my Pilot's not ON the beach. Though it's not discernable in the photo, there's a three foot drop-off at the grass line to the actual beach. It would be easy to get closer to the water, just step on the gas and go (fall). Getting back up would've be 'interesting'.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts