Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Have you carried anything on your roof rack yet?

• No, I probably won\'t ever use it

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • No, not yet, but I likely will use it

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Yes, once or twice

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Yes, frequently

Votes: 5 13.9%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe I've ever seen a Pilot with anything being carried on the roof rack. Just wanted to see how useful the rack has been/will be for our board members.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does air count?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yup!

We installed the cross rails and a Yakima "Basket Case" before our recent trip. Then we added a Weather Tech "Rack Sack" and that is where all our non-esentials went. It was so nice traveling without all those extra bags and such on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
No pics yet, but we've loaded up the rack with our skis, a toboggan and our rooftop box. Have the bike racks on the roof right now and plan to load it up again this weekend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Isn't bbcker's rack on backwards?

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Yup!

dandbtucker said:
We installed the cross rails and a Yakima "Basket Case" before our recent trip. Then we added a Weather Tech "Rack Sack" and that is where all our non-esentials went. It was so nice traveling without all those extra bags and such on the inside.
How much does it affect your gas mileage??

Thanks

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
gksmith said:
Isn't bbcker's rack on backwards?
Hmmm... you're right, gksmith!! Good eye!! Unless of course, Honda has them on backwards...!!! :eek: Perhaps they can be installed in either direction... :8:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kemosabe said:
mcannon has two bikes on the roof...
Are the bikes as much of a hassle to mount on a top carrier as it looks?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:

Are the bikes as much of a hassle to mount on a top carrier as it looks?
Depends on how tall you are, how strong you are, how heavy the bike is, how tall your vehicle is, and what kind of mechanism you're using to secure your bike(s).

I had no problems whatsoever hoisting a Trek 1220 21-speed onto my Yakima rack system (with the LockJaw) which was on top of my Nissan Maxima. I am 6 feet tall. With the Pilot, still doable, but requires standing on the running board. My wife, who is shorter and not as strong, has a terrible time!!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kemosabe said:

Depends on how tall you are, how strong you are, how heavy the bike is, how tall your vehicle is, and what kind of mechanism you're using to secure your bike(s).

I had no problems whatsoever hoisting a Trek 1220 21-speed onto my Yakima rack system (with the LockJaw) which was on top of my Nissan Maxima. I am 6 feet tall. With the Pilot, still doable, but requires standing on the running board. My wife, who is shorter and not as strong, has a terrible time!!!
I'm 5'-8", but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try. Don't know if Mr. Ziploc would think it was too much trouble. But I sure as heck don't want to carry the bikes inside the Pilot.......maybe on a carrier in the back.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:

I'm 5'-8", but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try. Don't know if Mr. Ziploc would think it was too much trouble. But I sure as heck don't want to carry the bikes inside the Pilot.......maybe on a carrier in the back.
Ferdball was successful in getting his mountain bike inside the Pilot (not sure about my road bike -- it's got a 58cm frame...) so that's an option... but since you have the trailer hitch (with your towing package), you might want to get the carrier in the back -- here's a related thread: Trailer Hitch Bike Carriers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I've carried up to four bikes up top on my Yakima setup. This winter I carried my skis too.

It's easy getting the bikes up and down. I'm 6' 5"!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts