Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about this for awhile and thought I'd check with my fine Pilot compatriates out there.

Has anyone had an experience like this:

About 2 weeks ago, I received an email message (at home) asking me, as a Pilot owner, if I would be willing to host a "Pilot Focus Group" meeting in my home. I should invite everyone I knew that owned a Pilot. As the host, I'd be paid $150; each guest would receive $100. I was told that the meeting must last at least 2 hours and should be scheduled within a certain time frame on the weekend, within a specified time period the following month. All Pilot owners were to frankly discuss their opinions of the vehicle, and recommend improvements. A representative from Honda would be in attendance. It was suggested that all info. would be passed along directly to appropriate corporate parties at Honda for close consideration.

You're probably wondering, Well, who exactly sent this message?
I read it once or twice, but then found my husband (gosh darn!) had deleted it, thinking it was spam. I can't remember the name of the sender, except it was a female name and the suggestion was made that she was acting on behalf of Honda.

What do you think? Could it be on the up and up?

·
Registered
409 Posts
HMMMM...

Don't know of anything like that..at least I have not had the e-mail show up in my in-box.

Does sound like a neat way to get some xtra options from hondacuraworld.com if they actually did pay you the cash.

Don

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
You too, Ziploc? Hmmm... I wonder if it's a Monkey County thing because (approx.) two weeks ago, my wife received the exact same request, only it was a phone call!!! She thought it was a prankster and basically hung up on him...

This is bizarre -- how did they get our personal info and how did they know we own Pilots...??? :confused: :8:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is VERY strange, guys. No email here but I hope we can find out where it's coming from.
Thanks for posting, Ziploc... Now we won't be so quick to delete as spam.

·
Registered
311 Posts
HOW DO THEY GET INFORMATION?

Some States readily give out, and I've heard even sell, vehicle registration information. Here in MO if you don't want the info given out you have to submit a special form every time the vehicle license is renewed - seems should be good until revoked or the vehicle is sold.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pilot Focus Group?

Sage said:
This is VERY strange, guys. No email here but I hope we can find out where it's coming from.
Thanks for posting, Ziploc... Now we won't be so quick to delete as spam.
Sounds like a good excuse for a Pilot ROAD TRIP and multi-state Honda-Pilot.org get-together!!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would go only if it's held, organized, sanctioned or what have you from Honda themselves. Seeing as how it said that a Honda rep would be in attendance, it sounds like it. Too bad the email's deleted now. I think it would've been a great way to relay some of the problems and thoughts many of us are facing in here.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kemosabe said:
You too, Ziploc? Hmmm... I wonder if it's a Monkey County thing because (approx.) two weeks ago, my wife received the exact same request, only it was a phone call!!! She thought it was a prankster and basically hung up on him...

This is bizarre -- how did they get our personal info and how did they know we own Pilots...??? :confused: :8:
Ahhh, kemosabe, so we both were deemed possible host material........

Your first reaction was the same as mine--how did whoever get my personal info. about owning the Pilot? It made me a bit uneasy. Call me paranoid, but scam artists are getting more and more sophisticated, and I wondered if I'd somehow fall into a trap if I pursued this.

One other thought, kemosabe--Didn't you also purchase your Pilot from Criswell Honda? Could it be Criswell that provided the information?

If this was indeed Honda authentically reaching out to us, guess we missed our big opportunity!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Pilot Focus Group?

havasu said:

Sounds like a good excuse for a Pilot ROAD TRIP and multi-state Honda-Pilot.org get-together!!!
Yea baby!! REALLY looking forward to something like that down the road.

Has anyone asked HONDA about the email?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:

Ahhh, kemosabe, so we both were deemed possible host material........

Your first reaction was the same as mine--how did whoever get my personal info. about owning the Pilot? It made me a bit uneasy. Call me paranoid, but scam artists are getting more and more sophisticated, and I wondered if I'd somehow fall into a trap if I pursued this.

One other thought, kemosabe--Didn't you also purchase your Pilot from Criswell Honda? Could it be Criswell that provided the information?

If this was indeed Honda authentically reaching out to us, guess we missed our big opportunity!
Now that you mention it, Ziploc, our only connection besides both of us living (probably) within 10 miles of each other is that we both bought from Criswell... they may have been the ones initiating this "group hug" get-together.

Still... it seems kind of strange -- why do we need to host it at our house??? Why can't it be held at the showroom and let the dealer organize/host it? I feel VERY uncomfy inviting a bunch of people into my house that I don't personally know, ya know...??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RipRocK said:
I would go only if it's held, organized, sanctioned or what have you from Honda themselves. Seeing as how it said that a Honda rep would be in attendance, it sounds like it. Too bad the email's deleted now. I think it would've been a great way to relay some of the problems and thoughts many of us are facing in here.
RipRock, if this were in fact sanctioned by Honda, I'm just surprised they would handle it in home gatherings reminiscent of Tupperware or Pampered Chef parties. I think it would have held more credence with me (and maybe kemosabe's wife, who got a phone call about the same thing) if the gathering were to be held, say, in a meeting room at a local hotel or community center.

Who knows, maybe someone else among our forum buddies will be contacted and will take Honda up on it!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kemosabe said:

Now that you mention it, Ziploc, our only connection besides both of us living (probably) within 10 miles of each other is that we both bought from Criswell... they may have been the ones initiating this "group hug" get-together.

Still... it seems kind of strange -- why do we need to host it at our house??? Why can't it be held at the showroom and let the dealer organize/host it? I feel VERY uncomfy inviting a bunch of people into my house that I don't personally know, ya know...??? :confused:
Yeah, me, too, kemosabe. Maybe they thought people would be uncomfortable at the dealership. It just seemed odd they were trying to hold it in people's homes (see my other post responding to RipRock).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: HOW DO THEY GET INFORMATION?

seadog said:
Some States readily give out, and I've heard even sell, vehicle registration information. Here in MO if you don't want the info given out you have to submit a special form every time the vehicle license is renewed - seems should be good until revoked or the vehicle is sold.
HMMM. I should know for sure what Maryland's policy is in this regard, but my memory is pretty vague. Seems to me that a while back, I dialed a special number to request that the Motor Vehicle Registration not give out personal info. about me. At least I think it was the MVA.....

Since kemosabe and I bought our Pilots from the same dealer, and seem to be the only ones on this board contacted (thus far, anyway), we're wondering if the dealer is "Deep Throat"....

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: HOW DO THEY GET INFORMATION?

Ziploc said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Since kemosabe and I bought our Pilots from the same dealer, and seem to be the only ones on this board contacted (thus far, anyway), we're wondering if the dealer is "Deep Throat"....
Oh... I could have so much fun with that last line!!!!!! But I shall contain myself and keep this thread rated PG..... :12:

If Honda called and said, "Hey we are having a focus group meeting at the dealership... wanna attend?" Then sure, I'd go since it's in a neutral location -- not sure if I would go if Honda called and said, "Hey, it's at so-and-so's house..." especially in this day and age (sad).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just registered my Pilot today and there were 2 checkboxes on the form that said:

"You may disclose my personal information for any use in response to requests for my individual driver or motor vehicle records"

and

"You may disclose my personal informatin for bulk distribution for surveys, marketing or solicitations"

The clerk did not even mention them and I did not check them either. I will let you know if I every get an email or phone call like you have experienced. If I do, it could be coming from somewhere other than DMV or maybe the rules are different in each state.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BigBarkingDog said:
I just registered my Pilot today and there were 2 checkboxes on the form that said:

"You may disclose my personal information for any use in response to requests for my individual driver or motor vehicle records"

and

"You may disclose my personal informatin for bulk distribution for surveys, marketing or solicitations"

The clerk did not even mention them and I did not check them either. I will let you know if I every get an email or phone call like you have experienced. If I do, it could be coming from somewhere other than DMV or maybe the rules are different in each state.
Very interesting. I hope someone didn't take it on themselves to check the boxes on my behalf. To tell you the truth, I don't remember seeing such a thing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll call..

I am going to drop by the dealership when I am in the area and ask them. Just tried to call our salesman and good friend in finance but they are out right now.

Maybe they can help shed some light..

Don

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
kemosabe said:
Hey kemosabe, I'm here for the meetin' and I found this cooler of beer on my way over...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: I'll call..

dandbtucker said:
I am going to drop by the dealership when I am in the area and ask them. Just tried to call our salesman and good friend in finance but they are out right now.

Maybe they can help shed some light..

Don
Don: if you find out anything, please let us know -- this mystery is starting to nag at me... :3: Thanks!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
tim.s said:
Hey kemosabe, I'm here for the meetin' and I found this cooler of beer on my way over...
Daggumit tim.s!! You stole my punchline!!!!! (shoot -- job security is gone on this board)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts