Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
If you look closely, you will notice that the plug is actually an IX as the ground electrode is not iridium tipped.
Drats, must be another Amazon fake. :mad:

Could also be the lighting. :D

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The NGK IX is a lesser plug, needing to be changed more often. This thread was to bring awareness to its existence, and the possibility of it being offered to you as an acceptable replacement. It's not acceptable if your following the MM or expecting to get 100k miles from your spark plugs.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
10,276 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I’m about to do change my plugs. Where should I look for the best deal on OEM plugs? Links appreciated 🤙🏻
Www.RockAuto.com
Take a Piloteers 5% discount until February 12, 2021.
Enter this code where it says "How did you hear about us"
31517DFA058403
Click the choice of shipping for the discount to be calculated into your final cost.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Here's a pic of one of the plugs I pulled yesterday at 60k miles. Very little carbon buildup and the gap was still in spec but there are these deposits at the bottom of the porcelain that look like they have been leaking. It was evident on all the plugs to varying degrees.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Here's a pic of one of the plugs I pulled yesterday at 60k miles. Very little carbon buildup and the gap was still in spec but there are these deposits at the bottom of the porcelain that look like they have been leaking. It was evident on all the plugs to varying degrees. View attachment 143922
Your speaking of what looks like burn Mark's? Seems this is common.
The electrodes of your plugs are nice and dry with the evidence of a once active VCM. 😁

·
Registered
869 Posts
Your speaking of what looks like burn Mark's? Seems this is common.
The electrodes of your plugs are nice and dry with the evidence of a once active VCM. 😁
I wonder if it is the gasket/sealing material in the plug that is burning off. All the other plugs looked similar with no difference between banks. I was expecting to see more of a difference due to 40k plus miles with an active VCM though. VCM has been disabled for about 10k so that probably cleaned thing up a bit.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
A misfire CEL light code does not necessarily mean you have a bad plug.

If that were true, a few months ago my Gen 1 would have had 5 of the 6 plugs replaced!!
I would have to 'Adjuster the valve rockers too!
I basically had an all cylinder misfire codes, etc. -I did a thread on it.
It ran fine.
I did NOTHING- reset the codes by disconnecting the Neg. terminal and turning the key, reconnected it.
To this day- has not had ! CEL light come up.

Come on people.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A misfire CEL light code does not necessarily mean you have a bad plug.

If that were true, a few months ago my Gen 1 would have had 5 of the 6 plugs replaced!!
I would have to 'Adjuster the valve rockers too!
I basically had an all cylinder misfire codes, etc. -I did a thread on it.
It ran fine.
I did NOTHING- reset the codes by disconnecting the Neg. terminal and turning the key, reconnected it.
To this day- has not had ! CEL light come up.

Come on people.
Which post on this thread are you referring to? Old, wrong or fouled spark plugs can cause misfires.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I wonder if it is the gasket/sealing material in the plug that is burning off. All the other plugs looked similar with no difference between banks.
I'm sure there is an answer. I know it doesn't take long for them to get these marks.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Here's a pic of one of the plugs I pulled yesterday at 60k miles. Very little carbon buildup and the gap was still in spec but there are these deposits at the bottom of the porcelain that look like they have been leaking. It was evident on all the plugs to varying degrees. View attachment 143922
It's probably staining from high voltage corona discharge across the gap between the grounded nut and the insulator as the high voltage pulses travel down the plug it ionizes the air in that area.

The giveaway is the shape of the peaks all around the top of the discoloration. If the plugs were leaking you'd have carbon and possibly oil all over the place. If the gasket were leaking the nut wouldn't be so shiny and clean.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's probably staining from high voltage corona discharge across the gap between the grounded nut and the insulator as the high voltage pulses travel down the plug it ionizes the air in that area.
That's what I was thinking too. We'll see if the new plugs do the same.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts