Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you asked a parts store employee for spark plugs for your Pilot and unknowingly bought the lesser version NGK Iridium IX spark plugs? On two occasions at two different parts stores, I've been offered these knock off OE plugs. I've had a family member who was sold these at our local parts store (returned). These are a lesser quality plug and will not last as long.
Let us know if you have accidentally bought these, thinking your getting the recommended OE plugs. You may want to see what's installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I actually just installed those. Yeah, they are single-tipped instead of the OEM double-tipped plugs, but they are cheaper than the OEM ones! I've used the Iridium IX plugs in my other cars before and been happy with them. I replace plugs every 60k to 80k in my cars... depending on when I remember to do it. These last well past that interval.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
No I have rarely replaced spark plugs in my vehicles... I don't see the point unless I'm getting a misfire.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually just installed those. Yeah, they are single-tipped instead of the OEM double-tipped plugs, but they are cheaper than the OEM ones! I've used the Iridium IX plugs in my other cars before and been happy with them. I replace plugs every 60k to 80k in my cars... depending on when I remember to do it. These last well past that interval.
So your claim is they last longer than the article states?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then maybe we should all go to IX then.
I honestly didn't know that they were only designed to 50k. I thought I was actually being on top of things by replacing it every 60 to 80k, haha. But I haven't had any misfires and they look like they still have good life after that interval.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's just minus the extra tip on the ground electrode. Possibly re-gap the plug at 50k miles and go another 50k? Would need the gap tool that will not break the electrode or insulator.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Then maybe we should all go to IX then.
You quoted me, so I'll respond...

If I got a misfire I'd replace with OEM or very similar plugs... many times over the years have "premium" spark plug replacement been debunked and I'm also not cheaping out with replacements.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it's just minus the extra tip on the ground electrode. Possibly re-gap the plug at 50k miles and go another 50k? Would need the gap tool that will not break the electrode or insulator.
Possibly. Personally, I'm kinda scared manually gapping these really fine Iridium tips. I used to do that with the old copper ones, but this one seems so fragile :D. So I've just been plugging them in directly from the box.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Possibly. Personally, I'm kinda scared manually gapping these really fine Iridium tips. I used to do that with the old copper ones, but this one seems so fragile :D. So I've just been plugging them in directly from the box.
The ground electrode is flexable. You can not pry against the thin center one with the insulator. That will break. Theses tools can be use dto gap this plug without damage.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You quoted me, so I'll respond...

If I got a misfire I'd replace with OEM or very similar plugs... many times over the years have "premium" spark plug replacement been debunked and I'm also not cheaping out with replacements.
When 90k miles rolled around for my TB change, my plugs looked so black because of the VCM, it was time to change plugs. It's routine to change plugs at the same time. Who knows, this next time, with the VCM disabled, I'll check it out. I don't cheap out on plugs either. 6 plugs equals things that can go bad on my engine.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Still not 100% sure what happened to my PO's sparky no. 5... Not torqued to spec? Backed out? Her mechanic just installed a busted one hoping no one would notice?

Name That Engine Noise (Video) - Solved

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm 99% sure I used them on my Lexus IS300 a long time ago. Basically they were "performance" iridiums but not long life. I got about ~55k miles out of them before I started getting misfires. I saw no performance difference. I've avoided them since and recommend everyone do the same unless you just want a short life plug.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm 99% sure I used them on my Lexus IS300 a long time ago. Basically they were "performance" iridiums but not long life. I got about ~55k miles out of them before I started getting misfires. I saw no performance difference. I've avoided them since and recommend everyone do the same unless you just want a short life plug.
Your reason is why I brought up the subject. Some might expect their plugs to go a 100k. Thank you for your experience.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your reason is why I brought up the subject. Some might expect their plugs to go a 100k. Thank you for your experience.
No problem. That’s EXACTLY what got me. I installed them during a tbelt job and was shocked to get misfire codes 2 years later. (Drove a lot more back then) I was NOT impressed, and swear some copper plugs likely hold up better. They were truly trashed when I removed them. Conversely OEM plugs looked new at 89k miles. I would have been better off leaving the original plugs in the engine.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Just installed a set in my 16EXL before realizing that they are not the OEM plug. I had used them in a 2nd gen engined Saturn with good results so I am not concerned and the price was right too. The nice thing with the IX is that you can regap them as the ground electrode is a nickel alloy. Regapping the lazers is not recommended . It's a pretty easy job to change the plugs on the 3rd gen as there is enough room especially around the rear bank and it only took me about an hour to change them this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts