Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I can't stand driving this car. It frustrates me daily. I did my research before buying in May this yr. I steered clear of the 9 SPD. Well, did me no good. I regret buying it when I did notice somewhat during the test drive but didn't realize how aggravating it is.

I've had the two transmission TSB's performed and it did help greatly. What bothers me is how unsmooth the shifts can be, the slow response to pushing harder on the petal, and mostly how the transmission seems to hold the car back so much. I do mostly around town driving. Lots of in between stoplights, coasting, speeding up again, coasting, stopping etc. When I coast the transmission literally feels like it's braking the car. I have to give it gas again when I shouldn't. I drive in non-eco mode. In ECO mode it is undriveable to me. My gas mileage stinks, has been around 17mpg lately. I am a conservative driver, not driving crazy or anything to use up more gas.

I have my car listed for sale I'm so upset. Going to lose lots of $. I just can't believe this is one of the most popular cars if they all drive like this. We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey that drives better.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions as to what may be going on? Do yours drive like this? I've had it into dealership multiple times. They have no idea. Probably feel like I'm being too critical but seriously, none of my other cars are like this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If you can’t get it fixed under warranty, then selling it is another option. The worst thing to do would be keeping it when warranty is over and there is a legitimate transmission issue. Lose some money now to avoid spending big bucks later on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that. If you can’t get it fixed under warranty, then selling it is another option. The worst thing to do would be keeping it when warranty is over and there is a legitimate transmission issue. Lose some money now to avoid spending big bucks later on.
Agreed. I will fix it in a heartbeat if I only knew what the problem is or if there even is a problem. Perhaps it's how they all drive?? Our warranty is up in the spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
You are definitely not alone, I absolutely hate mine as well. I have a 16 and it's the laziest piece of trash ever with no manual control. my absolute biggest pet peeve is what I call snatch 22. That's when the car jerks everybody really hard against the seatbelts slowing down at 22 mph for no reason. I usually avoid by shifting to neutral when coming to a stop. I can't wait to give this lease back in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Transmission has been smooth - in fact so smooth, I don’t even remember I have a 9 speed transmission anymore. The only time I remember I do is when I start it and launch forward. And I believe the reason I sense it a bit is because it kicks off on the 2nd gear. I have seen a number of folks advising others to stay with the 6 speed but with all the whistles and bells on the Elite, I am glad I settled for the top trim. The 2019 transmission was tweaked and wasn’t transformed but it appears the tweaking has helped the MAJORITY of the Pilots that are on the road. The irony is the folks who don’t have problems don’t remember they signed up on this forum to share their pleasant experiences. I am inching close to 15,000 miles on mine and so far, I love it! Just came across someone else who has a 2017 9 speed who reported he’s also doing great so far with 44K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
779 Posts
Well I don’t understand why you’re unhappy that the transmission is slowing the car down when coasting....that’s called engine braking and it’s supposed to do that. You may not actually have a problem but you may just not understand how things are supposed to work.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Had the 6 in a Ridgeline, a 2017 pilot EX-L and in my 2019 EX-L. Not one issue with it. Works great and shifts fine. Far superior to the 9 speed. Maybe you just got a bad one. My car takes off pretty good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX with 41k miles and the tranny has been fine. I just hate the noisy, harsh suspension and the water that collects in my liftgate. (dealer says they fixed the liftgate problem)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX with 41k miles and the tranny has been fine. I just hate the noisy, harsh suspension and the water that collects in my liftgate. (dealer says they fixed the liftgate problem)
Let us know what they did to it, I'd love to have the answer to that problem!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll chime in here. I'm not sure if it will help or hurt. I have 20 EX-L 6 speed with 400 miles on it. I have found similar issues and as well, I don't like it downshifting for me. I have also noticed it feels like the clutches are slipping when shifting. Esp 1-2 and 2-3. I watch the tach go up several hundred RPMs when shifting. I am hoping both of these issues subside as the transmission "learns/adapts" to my driving habits. I am not a fast/aggressive driver. I drive like an old man. I am also VERY dissatisfied with the gas pedal response. While I haven't measured it, It seems like I have to push it down a an inch or more to get it to respond resulting in a delayed response. . It is dangerous when entering a traffic stream. I press on the pedal, I expect the car to go. I press further, and it finally goes, but by this time the lane I am entering has traffic creeping up my backside. Quite dangerous. My 2015 CRV doesn't do this. Nor do either of my other 2 (non-Honda) vehicles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll chime in here. I'm not sure if it will help or hurt. I have 20 EX-L 6 speed with 400 miles on it. I have found similar issues and as well, I don't like it downshifting for me. I have also noticed it feels like the clutches are slipping when shifting. Esp 1-2 and 2-3. I watch the tach go up several hundred RPMs when shifting. I am hoping both of these issues subside as the transmission "learns/adapts" to my driving habits. I am not a fast/aggressive driver. I drive like an old man. I am also VERY dissatisfied with the gas pedal response. While I haven't measured it, It seems like I have to push it down a an inch or more to get it to respond resulting in a delayed response. . It is dangerous when entering a traffic stream. I press on the pedal, I expect the car to go. I press further, and it finally goes, but by this time the lane I am entering has traffic creeping up my backside. Quite dangerous. My 2015 CRV doesn't do this. Nor do either of my other 2 (non-Honda) vehicles.
Have you checked to make sure that you are not using ECON mode, as some of that sounds similar to it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey TDude, thanks for the reply. Yes, I experimented a bit with and without it (Admittedly, not exhaustively). The pedal gets only slightly better with it off. I notice no difference in the downshift (engine braking) or high RPM upshifts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I don’t understand why you’re unhappy that the transmission is slowing the car down when coasting....that’s called engine braking and it’s supposed to do that. You may not actually have a problem but you may just not understand how things are supposed to work.
Yeah, I understand that maybe this car is designed to do that, which is what I was trying to clarify. It doesn't mesh well with my constant stop and go driving though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having such a negative experience with your 2020. Did you happen to test drive your Pilot prior to purchasing? We're these driving experiences just recently cropping up in your last few hundred miles?

My 2019 Pilot (1k miles), 6-speed, have not exhibited the symptoms that you have had. Throttle response has been as expected (good) and tach rpm has behaved as expected during grades. I've come from a long history of driving the Honda 3.5L w/6 speed. 5 Odysseys. I feel this 2019 has been the most responsive of the bunch.

Could it be you're still getting used to engine dynamics from your previous CRV V4 versus the Pilots V6? Although that wouldn't explain your rpm spikes and downshifts.

Sounds like something to mention during your 30 day dealer service visit and experience review.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pilots are honestly garbage now. I loved by 2007 Pilot. It was amazing and was never in the shop. My brand new Pilot is awful...has already been in the shop 6 times for 43 days and it is going back to the shop tomorrow.
They are honestly just total garbage now

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pilots are honestly garbage now. I loved by 2007 Pilot. It was amazing and was never in the shop. My brand new Pilot is awful...has already been in the shop 6 times for 43 days and it is going back to the shop tomorrow.
They are honestly just total garbage now
All the comments make me even happier with my 2012 Pilot EX 4WD. Gas mileage has averaged a little over 23 mpg (about 95% local driving) and the transmission is smooth. The car has just over 50,000 miles on it so I don't see getting rid of it in the foreseeable future. I've gotten used to the slight jerks in Econ mode and for the most part don't notice them. The vehicle has been exceptionally trouble-free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts