Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...ive been reading the forums for a while now, but have not encountered the info im really looking for..here it goes..has anyone successfully mated a j35a9 from an 06up pilot to a 05 or earlier transmission? Im in the process of attempting this as my 05 pilot dropped a valve effectively grenading the engine. I was able to get a j35a9 from an 06 for a steal and really want to make this work...somehow?! Any hints or info would be greatly appriciated...and im not opposed to "modifying" things if nessicary.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Not that I am aware of. Honda has a habit of programing the computer for a particular engine to be paid with a particular transmission, 2wd/Awd, same year, etc. There are those that have tried and had limited success due to this issue.

Vehicles aren't made today like the did when Johnny Cash was singing about them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I am aware of. Honda has a habit of programing the computer for a particular engine to be paid with a particular transmission, 2wd/Awd, same year, etc. There are those that have tried and had limited success due to this issue.

Vehicles aren't made today like the did when Johnny Cash was singing about them.
Haha....I appriate the song! However its not so much the ecu im terribly worried about, but more so the actual mating of the transmission to the engine..i actually have the engine in, flexplate connected to the flywheel...but NONE of the holes line up! Im considering fabricating some spacers to bolt into the bellhousing then to engine/trans..

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Are you sure this is a good idea?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Haha....I appriate the song! However its not so much the ecu im terribly worried about, but more so the actual mating of the transmission to the engine..i actually have the engine in, flexplate connected to the flywheel...but NONE of the holes line up! Im considering fabricating some spacers to bolt into the bellhousing then to engine/trans..
I'm interested in how things turn out. I'd be impressed if you got it to work if it wasn't an exact match.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The 05 to the 06 didn't change that much ..you have to match the model year 4wd to 4wd kinda deal .sounds like the engine is either a 2wd or vise versa..
the mounting plate should be the same for those two years. Also you cant install a A9 engine if you have the Z9 series .. or vise versa

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 05 to the 06 didn't change that much ..you have to match the model year 4wd to 4wd kinda deal .sounds like the engine is either a 2wd or vise versa..
the mounting plate should be the same for those two years. Also you cant install a A9 engine if you have the Z9 series .. or vise versa
Its an engine out of a 06 awd going into an 05 awd....bellhousing is definatelty different!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yes apparently the 06 is when they redesigned the engine ... it's not going to work without a lot of headaches .

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
yes apparently the 06 is when they redesigned the engine ... it's not going to work without a lot of headaches .
FIFY.....
"yes apparently the 06 is when they redesigned the engine ... it's not going to work without a lot of expensive headaches ."

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
FIFY.....
"yes apparently the 06 is when they redesigned the engine ... it's not going to work without a lot of expensive headaches ."
OMG you are so correct on this ...

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG you are so correct on this ...
Im about to let you guys know how this worked out...its in there! Flywheel attached to flexplate, starter in, half shaft in,....i have a little bit more " modifying" to ensure the transmission is secured to the engine. Then its just down to exhaust, oil and filter...and im firing it up and will check it see of trans is operational...i hesitate to say ill be putting the front end back on the car until its verified that this worked! Btw if anyone wants a walk through on how to remove the engine from the top let me know. I know not everybody wants to remove the entire k member and trans for an engine swap..

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Im about to let you guys know how this worked out...its in there! Flywheel attached to flexplate, starter in, half shaft in,....i have a little bit more " modifying" to ensure the transmission is secured to the engine. Then its just down to exhaust, oil and filter...and im firing it up and will check it see of trans is operational...i hesitate to say ill be putting the front end back on the car until its verified that this worked! Btw if anyone wants a walk through on how to remove the engine from the top let me know. I know not everybody wants to remove the entire k member and trans for an engine swap..
Awesome Job !

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, to all the naysayers....It works!! NOT that i would recommend it, and had I had it to do over again, I would have waited for an 05 engine and just took a couple days off work to get it done. ( would have been about the same finish time, since I could only work on it a couple hrs at night). I will say this, you cant be afraid to drill some holes and manufacture some brackets! But in the long run it saved me big by being able to source a low mile j35a9 locally for a steal! Cheers!!

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
So, to all the naysayers....It works!! NOT that i would recommend it, and had I had it to do over again, I would have waited for an 05 engine and just took a couple days off work to get it done. ( would have been about the same finish time, since I could only work on it a couple hrs at night). I will say this, you cant be afraid to drill some holes and manufacture some brackets! But in the long run it saved me big by being able to source a low mile j35a9 locally for a steal! Cheers!!
If what your saying is true, make a drill hole template and manufacturer the bracket, bolts etc. etc. and make your million.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should I include the tube of cailk im going to need to seal up the tranny? Lol...like I said, I really don't recommend it, but as I've found out over the last 25yrs of fixing shit..where there's a will, there is a way! And besides how many 03-05 pilots are left out there worth fixing?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Should I include the tube of cailk im going to need to seal up the tranny? Lol...like I said, I really don't recommend it, but as I've found out over the last 25yrs of fixing shit..where there's a will, there is a way! And besides how many 03-05 pilots are left out there worth fixing?
Your correct, nevermind.
Hope your repair holds.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Ya know what? My first reaction was going to be to say that if that kludging works for you, fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. But then you said you wouldn't recommend it either.

So on second thought, I'm going to tip my hat to you, sir, for your can-do spirit. Kudos. (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts