Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil claims you can go 15k miles between oil changes. I go no more than 10k using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter with it. If your changing your oil more often than that, then you can use a less expensive oil. I don't think I'd push the Kirkland Full Synthetic more than 5-6k miles. Going 5-6k you can use a lower priced filter and save more.
10,000 miles is too long on oil change if your planning on keeping your car for a 100,000 miles. Going by the Maintance Minder?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
10,000 miles is too long on oil change if your planning on keeping your car for a 100,000 miles. Going by the Maintance Minder?
Well we been doing it. I got a Honda Crosstour V6 that we bought new at 240k and a 5.6 V8 Nissan NV we bought new that's at 203k amongst others that are well over 100k. ¯\(ツ)
I've got my own maintenance records.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The BMW guys with 250k+ miles are pretty much all doing the extended oil change intervals called by the cars system. Typically 15,000 - 17,000 mile interval and seems completely fine. Modern oils and filters are great... I’m still afraid to do it myself though. ;-)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The BMW guys with 250k+ miles are pretty much all doing the extended oil change intervals called by the cars system. Typically 15,000 - 17,000 mile interval and seems completely fine. Modern oils and filters are great... I’m still afraid to do it myself though. ;-)
I'm doing it because I have 9 vehicles I'm caring for. Some associated with a small business. If I were doing them every 5k, I'd go nuts. I already make a lot of trips to the oil disposal tank a few blocks away.
If you put on synthetic fiber filter, you can easily go 7.5k .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm doing it because I have 9 vehicles I'm caring for. Some associated with a small business. If I were doing them every 5k, I'd go nuts. I already make a lot of trips to the oil disposal tank a few blocks away.
If you put on synthetic fiber filter, you can easily go 7.5k .
No argument from me. I figure if 17,000 miles is safe I’ll do mine at 10,000 on the BMW. On the Honda, I basically just follow the maintenance minder and use synthetic. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Ok, because @xGS found a product made by a company who's oil I put faith in already because their Diesel oil goes in my BMW. I have made the decision to give the Rotella Gas Truck oil a try in some of my vehicles. My decision was based on evaporation, better wear protection proven on the Project Farm video and I saved $40 on 20 gallons 😁. Thank you @xGS .

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Ok, because @xGS found a product made by a company who's oil I put faith in already because their Diesel oil goes in my BMW. I have made the decision to give the Rotella Gas Truck oil a try in some of my vehicles. My decision was based on evaporation, better wear protection proven on the Project Farm video and I saved $40 on 20 gallons 😁. Thank you @xGS . View attachment 136653
Would have figured that this oil would be your product of choice.
Valvoline™ Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife™ Technology Motor Oil : Product Catalog - Valvoline<br />

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Quaker state from Walmart and synthetic fram filter. My wife works there so get a 10% discount. I haven't had any problems with the engine except for the high oil usage that 2010's have. It's used as much as 1 quart per 1,000 miles which I've read about here. Avoiding highway driving, when possible, has helped that problem.:)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I use Quaker state from Walmart and synthetic fram filter. My wife works there so get a 10% discount. I haven't had any problems with the engine except for the high oil usage that 2010's have. It's used as much as 1 quart per 1,000 miles which I've read about here. Avoiding highway driving, when possible, has helped that problem.:)
Is it burning it or is it leaking out? Maybe we can help with some solutions? Post some photos possibly?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
If the oil consumption is higher when driving on the highway, it could well be a side effect of the VCM function.
Installing one of the "muzzler" VCM-defeat devices might help.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
If the oil consumption is higher when driving on the highway, it could well be a side effect of the VCM function.
Installing one of the "muzzler" VCM-defeat devices might help.
Yes, get a VCMuzzler type device to prevent some of your cylinders from shutting down due to VCM, ostensibly for minimal fuel economy, but in reality it causes those cylinders to foul up with oil.

Here's one good place you can get one, and the sooner you install it, the less damage your engine will incur.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The operation of the VCM may cause a little oil loss, but not this severe.
What is your milage?
Is there signs of oil leaking where you park?
Is there any oil leaking around the dip stick area or around the head on the drivers side, particularly around the VVT solenoids?
Are your valve covers leaking?
Do you have a check engine light on?

81 - 93 of 93 Posts