Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For your cars? I just got a Costco membership, and I noticed I can get 10 quarts of Kirkland synthetic oil for $30 bucks. I usually put mobile one synthetic in and it cost me that for 5 quarts.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
423 Posts
That guy's high energy, Bert from Sesame Street sounding voice, and the way he kept pronouncing Kirkland like "Kirtland", really drove me nuts by the end.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That guy's high energy, Bert from Sesame Street sounding voice, and the way he kept pronouncing Kirkland like "Kirtland", really drove me nuts by the end.
haha yeah. The information was great! I’m going to save $120 a year in oil costs between my wife and my car. :)

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil claims you can go 15k miles between oil changes. I go no more than 10k using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter with it. If your changing your oil more often than that, then you can use a less expensive oil. I don't think I'd push the Kirkland Full Synthetic more than 5-6k miles. Going 5-6k you can use a lower priced filter and save more.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil claims you can go 15k miles between oil changes. I go no more than 10k using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter with it. If your changing your oil more often than that, then you can use a less expensive oil. I don't think I'd push the Kirkland Full Synthetic more than 5-6k miles. Going 5-6k you can use a lower priced filter and save more.
I do oil changes every 5k even with the mobile one synthetic extended. Reason being is the filter more then the oil. The oil can definitely go 10k miles, but I wouldn’t ever trust a filter for that long. My oil is pretty dark at 5-6k.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
423 Posts
Interesting. When I was last at my Costco two weeks ago, they only had 10W-30. I'll still stick with Mobil 1. They usually have their 6-pack on sale for $10 off every other month.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. When I was last at my Costco two weeks ago, they only had 10W-30. I'll still stick with Mobil 1. They usually have their 6-pack on sale for $10 off every other month.
That’s good to know. I’ll keep my eye out for that deal if I don’t use the Kirkland oil.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I do oil changes every 5k even with the mobile one synthetic extended. Reason being is the filter more then the oil. The oil can definitely go 10k miles, but I wouldn’t ever trust a filter for that long. My oil is pretty dark at 5-6k.
If your going to continue the 5k mile oil change.., You can buy a lesser priced filter or just change the Mobil 1 filter every other oil change (If you want to save more $ along with the Kirkland oil).
The Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter is designed to go 20k with the use of their Annual Protection Oil.
Have no fear going 10k.
I've got 8 vehicles using them for 10k mile oil changes, using the M1 Extended Life Oil.
Kirkland Full Synthetic < Mobil 1 Full Synthetic

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your going to continue the 5k mile oil change.., You can buy a lesser priced filter or just change the Mobil 1 filter every other oil change (If you want to save more $ along with the Kirkland oil).
The Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter is designed to go 20k with the use of their Annual Protection Oil.
Have no fear going 10k.
I've got 8 vehicles using them for 10k mile oil changes, using the M1 Extended Life Oil.
Doesn’t your maintenance minder tell you to change it about every 5k miles? Just reset it and go another round?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
423 Posts
Have no fear going 10k.
The filter finder tool on Mobil 1's website doesn't list an option for a 2004 Pilot. Does the M1-110A fit my year, or is it omitted from their website for a reason?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Doesn’t your maintenance minder tell you to change it about every 5k miles? Just reset it and go another round?
I keep a log book on every vehicle. So ya. The drivers know and clear the stealership money grab light.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
The filter finder tool on Mobil 1's website doesn't list an option for a 2004 Pilot. Does the M1-110A fit my year, or is it omitted from their website for a reason?
It fits my 2004 Civic. I'm pretty sure it's the same filter for the V6. I think it's just a little longer than the original size. Threads and circumference is the same

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Good to know. I’ll start doing 10k on those filters. But probably changing the kirkland oil every 5k.
That's what I would do if I didn't have all these vehicles im trying to maintain. The thought of them being back here every 5k miles gives me anxiety. Lol

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I do oil changes even with the mobile one synthetic extended. Reason being is the filter more then the oil. The oil can definitely go 10k miles, but I wouldn’t ever trust a filter for that long. My oil is pretty dark at 5-6k.
Some aftermarket oil filters are rated for up to 20K miles.

Cutaway photos posted online show that the standard Honda oil filter (made by Honeywell/Fram) appears to be quite similar to the Fram Tough Guard filter, which is rated for up to 15K miles.

If you check the maintenance minder codes, you'll see that Honda specifies that the oil filter only needs be replaced at every other oil change.

Dark oil doesn't necessarily mean that the oil needs to be changed.
Have a used oil sample tested by Blackstone Labs if you really want to find out what is the maximum oil change interval for your vehicle, the way it's driven and the oil and filter you use.

When you do your oil changes every 5K miles, are you letting the oil life monitor get down to at least 15% remaining oil life?
If not, and you are resetting it, then you may be missing the indicators for all of the required maintenance items that aren't displayed until the oil life reaches 15% or less.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts