Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to ship my Pilot overseas in a few months, and I was going to look into rustproofing the undercarriage of the Pilot. I don't know anyone locally who does it (Utah), and I can't find much on the web about it except from ziebart.com, and that site doesn't tell you much...

My father-in-law suggested using the spray on bedliner stuff to coat the undercarriage....anyone know anything about that?

Thanks in advance!

Sponge

SS EX-L RES

·
Registered
725 Posts
I Don't Know If You Need To Do It

Automakers these days have a pretty damn good corrosion process that new cars are put there. In many cases, the undercarriage of the car is already treated with an anti-corrosion material.

I know that the body panels of the PILOT has already been treated to prevent rust, so I don't believe you need to spend your money on rust-proofing your PILOT - because it's already done!

Save your money and buy some stuff overseas!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, Maybe Sound Deadening

In the 70s and mid 80s I had all my new vehicle purchases rustproofed using various materials/techniques offered by different companies. In most instances, I sold the vehicles before the time when there would have been any detectable benefit from the rustproofing so not money well spent; just spent! Now, I did keep an 80 model until last year and believe that the rustproofing probably accelerated the development of rust (particularly on the bottom of the doors) because the material sprayed on the inside of the door panels tended to block the factory weep holes at the door bottoms. That said, the Pilot would probably benefit from the application of sound-deadening material since it does suffer from an excess of road noise.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Modern vehicles have rust protection built in. In fact if you have additional "rust protection" applied, it will undo the rust protection that Honda had designed into the vehicle.

That's why you don't see many rust protection companies any more. They ended up doing more harm than good. The manufacturers themselves are doing a better job at using the right materials and vehicle design.

Old habits are hard to break ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
JungleJim said:
In fact if you have additional "rust protection" applied, it will undo the rust protection that Honda had designed into the vehicle.
Have to call BS on this one:rolleyes:

Some rust preventatives may counteract what the factory designed in, but a proper anti-corrosion treatment will NOT.

A product called Fluid Film ( http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/auto.htm ) is a lanolin based anti-corrosive. It is great stuff and will not damage OEM rustproofing, which usually is galvanized steel panels. In fact there is very little this relatively inert product CAN damage. In fact they say it can even be used as a car wax!

I've thoroughly covered the underside of my pickup with it after I was shocked at the rust that developed in one week after a trip to a salted road area in the Rockies. More rust in one week that had occured in six years prior. They don't normally use salt where I live in the southeast, we get very little road freezing.

I haven't yet inspected the underside of the Pilot to see if it's application is justified, but if it is I will do it without concern of damaging anything.

Al

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sponge
I had rust protection done to my pilot. The main thing is that you have it done when the car is brand new. It can't have any dirt or water spots under your car. I drove the car from the Dealer straight to the shop. They did a great job and only cost me $130 for the bottom and top (inside doors and panels). I do know that the manufacture already takes good care when it comes to rust. I figure it will never hurt an extra protection. Now if your car is used, IMHO, will be a waist of money. Where over seas are you going to?
Because I'm in Hawaii.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Well, Maybe Sound Deadening

seadog said:
[snip]
That said, the Pilot would probably benefit from the application of sound-deadening material since it does suffer from an excess of road noise.
It was my understanding that rustproofing has nothing to do with reducing the road noise. I thought that at first too, but I was told by one of the members in here that something called undercoating is the one that's supposed to do reduce road noise. I could be wrong though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts