Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(As a backdrop: the older 4x4 2005 Pilot automatically uses 4 wheels when accelerating from stop, giving you a fast acceleration.)
Unfortunately, there are few 2nd gen used Pilots in my area to test-drive. I need to know how the FWD and AWD 2009-2011 models accelerate from stop, on standard pavement conditions?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(As a backdrop: the older 4x4 2005 Pilot automatically uses 4 wheels when accelerating from stop, giving you a fast acceleration.)
Unfortunately, there are few 2nd gen used Pilots in my area to test-drive. I need to know how the FWD and AWD 2009-2011 models accelerate from stop, on standard pavement conditions?
sorry can't see how to edit typo in this new forum format... please tell me how to edit the title to show "2009-2011"?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have driven both and own an 11 AWD. It starts in 4WD until it senses no slip and then goes to FWD it has a higher tow rating because of this. I didn't really feel the FWD was any faster but I wouldn't own one as I had a FWD CRV and it was TERRIBLE to get up my driveway in even a little snow. The Pilot with VTM locked drives up like nothing in 2 feet of snow. I think if you gave the FWD only pilot the beans it would chirp the tires. My AWD doesn't ever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have driven both and own an 11 AWD. It starts in 4WD until it senses no slip and then goes to FWD it has a higher tow rating because of this. I didn't really feel the FWD was any faster but I wouldn't own one as I had a FWD CRV and it was TERRIBLE to get up my driveway in even a little snow. The Pilot with VTM locked drives up like nothing in 2 feet of snow. I think if you gave the FWD only pilot the beans it would chirp the tires. My AWD doesn't ever.
Thanks very much for your reply. I understand "The Pilot with VTM locked " means you pushed the 4WD button to turn the 4x4 TO get up your driveway?
Your Pilot is an "AWD", this means the "AWD" on the 2009-2011 gen is actually, the same transmission system as the 4WD on the 2005 Pilot ...?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Well, I/we own an 08 FWD, and a 15 4WD. Does that count?

On our 15, after reading about it, is only really locked when put manually in 1st or 2nd, or reverse. And once you reach 18mph, it's no longer 'locked.l
The 4WD still activates and works in any gear, like D.

Our 08 FWD pilot is REALLY good in snow too. In fact, well over 50% of all vehicles in this area Milwaukee WI, are FWD only. It's just what they make the most of these days.

If you have steep hills, Lots of unplowed snow, or lots of ice, then the 4WD/AWD might be better.

The 4WD has lots more moving drive train parts than the FWD obviously.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our driveway is super steep and until I clear it I need to get to the house. Fwd was fine until we moved to this house. Now 4wd is needed if heavy. Our little yaris rips right up where the crv with studded winters couldnt. Anyway the first gen awd I believe worked like the first crv and started in fwd and if slip was sensed activated the awd/4wd. That sucked and the changed them to reverse. Start in 4wd/Awd then turn off if no slip sensed.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Our driveway is super steep and until I clear it I need to get to the house. Fwd was fine until we moved to this house. Now 4wd is needed if heavy. Our little yaris rips right up where the crv with studded winters couldnt. Anyway the first gen awd I believe worked like the first crv and started in fwd and if slip was sensed activated the awd/4wd. That sucked and the changed them to reverse. Start in 4wd/Awd then turn off if no slip sensed.
No the first generation Pilot starts in 4WD and switches when no slip is detected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts