Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to crutchfield, this model is compatible, and requires a trim kit they also include

Boss Elite BE10ACP Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield

I am wondering if anyone has done this for a 2nd gen and what it involved? Is it plug and play in terms of the harness? Do I need to splice, run wires, take apart more than just the original radio? pictures of the final product would be nice as well!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unless something has changed, the trim kit is for mounting a single din in the cubby hole below the hvac controls. That unit you linked is a single din chassis with a floating screen mount (it will sit on top of the trim rather than within it). The harness kit that Crutchfield supplies is plug and play for everything except the backup camera (can be tapped), steering wheel controls (extra adapter needed) and the mounting of the external mic. I'm speaking from memory and possibly outdated information so take this with a grain of salt.

You can mount a double din within the stock location but it's more effort. You'll need to trim the side trim a bit, fill in the gap at the top of the radio (or not if you are ok with the new vent hole) and, in my case, I needed to remove the metal cage around the head unit to drill mounting holes in a location that aligned the head unit better in the stock space. Again, if you are looking for function over form, this is all optional. You can certainly mount it recessed a bit which removes the need to trim any plastic.

There are other posts with a lot of information if you search for them. Also of note is that you will lose your radio display on the top screen as well as compass and time display.

If you do end up going with the single-din floating screen, consider something better than Boss. Both carplay and android auto use the head unit's processor to draw the screen and process commands. Do your research and make sure that whichever head unit you pick is powered properly for a lag-free experience now and into the future as the software continues to evolve and get more feature-rich.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts