Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to crutchfield, this model is compatible, and requires a trim kit they also include

Boss Elite BE10ACP Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield

I am wondering if anyone has done this for a 2nd gen and what it involved? Is it plug and play in terms of the harness? Do I need to splice, run wires, take apart more than just the original radio? pictures of the final product would be nice as well!

·
Registered
695 Posts
The million-dollar question is: what does your dashboard look like? On an EX-L 2009 non-Nav, it should look like this:

If that is the case (no color screen at top, you are good. You can install the new head. You would need a factory main harness adapter, as well as an AM/FM antenna harness adapter. AM/FM should be just plug and play, the main harness you would need to properly connect the wires on factory adapter harness to the head unit harness. I think Crutchfield can do it for you for a bit extra, though.

Now, the caveats:
1. Honda OEM head powers the rear subwoofer directly. As in, it has a built-in amplifier channel for it. No aftermarket head will have that. Means if you just do plug'n'play, you lose the sub. The alternative is installing a small amp somewhere in the dash, powering it off the accessory outlet, and tapping its output to the wires going to the sub (they are on a separate factory head connector)
2. Parking brake - the Boss harness should have a wire (typically light green) that goes to parking brake engage contact. If you wanna do it "right" you will have to look for where it is. For some heads, simply splicing that wire to ground will bypass the parking brake restriction. On some heads, you need a special extra device.
Amazon.com: DIYBypass Parking Brake Bypass, Multi-Pulse Video in Motion, w/LED Power Check Light: for All Sony & Boss Radio Models: XAV & BV: Automotive - this lists 'Boss BE7ACP', but not BE10ACP. So no idea if you do need it. You can try just grounding it first, and see if that works.
3. Steering wheel controls: if you want to use those with the new head, you will need to buy an interface unit, such as Maestro SW. It might require tapping into wires not provided by the factory adapter harness.
4. Rearview camera: If you want one, you will need to buy and install it (most common solution is by using a 'license plate frame camera'), run the wire through tailgate, into main body, all the way to dash and into the new head. You would also need to tap into reverse lights circuit so the head knows when to turn rear camera on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info! Yes- that is my dash

1. No big loss
2. Sorry for my ignorance, but what does the parking break have to do with the OEM radio?
3. makes sense
4. I have the kind built into the rear view mirror - will I lose that?

Will I still maintain the HVAC info on the top display that also currently also houses the audio information?

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is a regulation that car audio makers restrict video features and in-depth menu access unless parking brake is engaged. I.e. if I wanna play with EQ settings on my Alpine, it is restricted unless parking brake wire is properly connected and brake is engaged. Most DIY installers bypass the feature. (At their own risk)
For some systems, simply grounding the brake wire is enough. For others, like my Alpine, it is more complex, I needed to install a bypass chip.

If you got in-mirror screen, that will continue to work. And if you want, it should be a relatively simple to diplicate camera output to your head unit.

The display unit has an independent input from HVAC control unit, and should continue working normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts