Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately need to get ride of this static. Has anyone attempted putting a aftermarket antenna on their truck? I was thinking of getting a shark fin unit for the roof.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
You mean for your FM broadcast band radio? Are you using the factory head unit, or aftermarket? Have you always had static, or is this something recent? Or do you live really far away from the city you're listening to?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, speaking of the FM reception on factory unit. I think I've always had it but been driving more lately and it's really annoying. No I do not live far from my stations and have heard others complain about this issue. So I was thinking of throwing up a aftermarket shark fin w/ booster but wanted to see if it was worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
The antenna is in the glass in the back side window, and has an amplifier inline that must be powered when the radio is on. If you're getting bad reception, then either your antenna is damaged, the feed line is damaged somewhere between the antenna and the head unit, the amplifier isn't working, or the antenna simply came unplugged from the back of the head unit. Have you pulled the unit recently, or done anything that might have pulled the antenna cable out of the back, or something that might have damaged the cable going to the back window?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No but if you do a search seems like the window antenna on these trucks is no good from new so just seeing if anyone tried an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
No but if you do a search seems like the window antenna on these trucks is no good from new so just seeing if anyone tried an aftermarket one.
When I used to listen to the radio the antenna on the '04 was never an issue. Shark fins are cool but you'll probably need to drill a hole in the roof but it won't be coming off anyway.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I've had no problem with FM reception on my 04 Pilot, with either the factory head unit or an aftermarket Kenwood unit I installed a few months ago. In fact, I pick up more stations, and from further away, in my Pilot than I could in any of my previous 4 or 5 vehicles, and that includes ones that had the old-school 30-inch metal whip antennas. If you've always had a problem with you Pilot, then there's something physically or electrically wrong with your antenna, wiring, or radio.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if it's the fishing rod on the roof that's causing the interference. I've been spending a lot of miles lately fishing and have an 11ft graphite fishing pole on the rack.... I still feel there is a weak point or like you mentioned a bad part somewhere in the chain. I did a search and seemed to be enough threads regarding bad reception to merit bringing to topic back up. I guess I'll just give a aftermarket something a shot and report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts