Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not pointing to get political but over the last few months I have seen the prices for the simple crap as oil and other basic means go up in price. Here in upstate Ny the 5 gal jug of mobile 1 in Walmart for an example went from 22.95 to 38.95 !. For those who shop on amazon I also notice that the price of oil including the amazon basics stuff it went up in price. It’s getting unreal out there unless your making a good salary it’s getting to the point of wtf .

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not at all, just the opposite. Quality motor oil prices are the lowest they have been since I can remember.

$30 for 10 quarts delivered: https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-0w-20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart,-2-pack.product.100518855.html
FREE OIL: Want some FREE motor oil?

Walmart around here is still $25.47 for Mobil1, and $28.68 for EP. You can buy it online, and pick it up in the store.... not sure why your local is charging more. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-20-5-qt/36019107

This has NOTHING to do with tariffs. Tariffs impact pricing on items imported from China. Motor oil is refined, blended, and distributed in the US.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Not pointing to get political but over the last few months I have seen the prices for the simple crap as oil and other basic means go up in price. Here in upstate Ny the 5 gal jug of mobile 1 in Walmart for an example went from 22.95 to 38.95 !. For those who shop on amazon I also notice that the price of oil including the amazon basics stuff it went up in price. It’s getting unreal out there unless your making a good salary it’s getting to the point of wtf .
Have you checked prices at Home Depot?
Selecting the Rochester area for a location shows a 5-qt jug of Quaker State Ultimate-Durability full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $22 and 5-qt jug of Castrol Edge 5W-20 full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $23.
Also, there's a 5-qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum full-synthetic 0W-20 for about $28.

On the Walmart site, and again selecting the Rochester area for a location, there is a 5-qt jug of Super Tech full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $15 and 5-qt jug of Castrol Edge full-synthetic 0W-20 for about $25.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked prices at Home Depot?
Selecting the Rochester area for a location shows a 5-qt jug of Quaker State Ultimate-Durability full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $22 and 5-qt jug of Castrol Edge 5W-20 full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $23.
Also, there's a 5-qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum full-synthetic 0W-20 for about $28.

On the Walmart site, and again selecting the Rochester area for a location, there is a 5-qt jug of Super Tech full-synthetic 5W-20 for about $15 and 5-qt jug of Castrol Edge full-synthetic 0W-20 for about $25.
Yes the cost of living of extremely cheap up in rochester cause nobody lives there .. But i'm not going to drive 4 hrs for a $23 thing of oil . AS you drive closer to the City of NY it gets more and more expensive . I also looked on the walmart site close to the next town over in the mountains it's going for 28.31. So in different regions there are also different prices it seems.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazon basics appears to be a good alternative to Mobile 1 and its $22 bucks for the 5 gal

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think Costco has their own Kirkland brand full-synthetic selling now. While I haven't seen any hard data on it, I suspect it is probably equivalent to the name brand synthetics.

I just watch for the periodic coupons Costco runs on M1. I think this brings the price down to something like $4.50/qt which is cheap enough for me.

- Mark

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Yes the cost of living of extremely cheap up in rochester cause nobody lives there .. But i'm not going to drive 4 hrs for a $23 thing of oil . AS you drive closer to the City of NY it gets more and more expensive . I also looked on the walmart site close to the next town over in the mountains it's going for 28.31. So in different regions there are also different prices it seems.
"Upstate" New York could just as easily be Albany or Buffalo.
You weren't specific, so I picked someplace in between.

Using Poughkeepsie, for example, still yields the same prices at Walmart as listed above.
Same for Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"Upstate" New York could just as easily be Albany or Buffalo.
You weren't specific, so I picked someplace in between.

Using Poughkeepsie, for example, still yields the same prices at Walmart as listed above.
Same for Home Depot.
Interesting considering this Walmart that is close to where I live has the oil Mobil 1 38.99 . So of course I asked the manager why the online it’s one price and in the store it’s another. The reply was the online store price is not regulated as to what you see in the store. It’s also up to the stores location discretion if they will price match or not. So in other words for Walmart and walmart.com is two different worlds. As for the homedepot What is online does not match what is physically in the store as tested tonight with two locations near me. Online with the discount crap coupons I just went ahead and ordered two five gal for the same price you mentioned above and free shipping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our CRV beater that burns some oil gets the Walmart Supertech synthetic jug for like $16 for top offs. The Mobile 1 goes in the other vehicles and its around $25 at our Walmart and just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Amazon basics appears to be a good alternative to Mobile 1 and its $22 bucks for the 5 gal
$22 for 5 gal! You should be all over that!

OK I know you meant qt, couldn't help myself.

Guess I should be thankful I'm far enough away from DC and Philly that M1 is maybe $25 for the jug at my Wal Mart.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$22 for 5 gal! You should be all over that!

OK I know you meant qt, couldn't help myself.

Guess I should be thankful I'm far enough away from DC and Philly that M1 is maybe $25 for the jug at my Wal Mart.
yah it’s one of those days :)

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
618 Posts
I go to advanced auto and get the M1 specials they run 32.99 or 35.99 with M1 filer BUT I only do so when Mobil1 is running a promotion to get $17 back on the purchase of oil and filter. So I stock up at that time. I think they allow 4 now. So I get 4 5 gallon jugs and 4 filters basically for the price or 2.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd just go to Walmart.com and have it shipped to store at the online price. My son wanted a game figure a little while back, went into the store and it was $19.99 but he had checked online at home and it was $11.99. So I logged onto the walmart wifi, clicked the one he wanted, chose pickup in store sameday and an hour later after shopping we went to the counter and picked it up. That was in Maine and they did tell us we could have just shown the screen and they'd have matched it but is sounds like your store is a bit more anal. Also I didn't chose the pickup location until I had the item in the cart with no store preference chosen so the site gave the lowest price. If I had of chosen the store first the higher price may have been what shows. Or if I had a cookie in the browser showing I had been on that store's page etc. You can have 3 people these days go online to the same site looking at prices and get 3 different ones depending on what cookies etc are in their devices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts