Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so out of bordom I decided to tinker around with the Boss's Pilot ..yah one of those days when they nagg the #$%^%& out of you on your day off ..LIKE we got NOTHING to do on our ONLY day off... anyways i noticed oil around the trans and the oil pan....digging deeper in the issue I discovered the darn thing was leaking around the OIL pump seal ... so after like others here searching Youtube ..nothing on the J series 3.5 ... has anyone actually done the reseal and is it actually worth it since this pilot has over 200k and runs like the first day i bought it at 10 miles .....

thoughts , tips , would be awesome ....

-Pokey

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did mine last summer with the timing belt change at 200k. I was in the same boat - it wasn't dripping or leaving a mess on my driveway, but the mess on the pan was enough to make me tackle the job. I was also worried it would eventually seep into the timing belt area, so I bit the bullet and tackled it while in there. The way I saw it, I plan on keeping it until it dies, and will probably give it to one of my kids eventually. It is essentially the timing belt job, plus you have to drop the exhaust to drop the oil pan, in order to get the oil pump off. Not really that hard, just takes patience. You will spend some time removing all the old HondaBond and gunk off the old pump and pan, to properly clean and prep for reinstall. I had already replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket, as that is where I thought the leak was originally coming from, but was not the case. I would replace that while you are there, since it has to be removed anyways, and the gaskets and o-rings are cheap.

A few tips for you. To drop the exhaust, I removed the nuts holding the exhaust onto the front and rear cats, then dropped the entire exhaust onto the floor, as I didn't want to mess with the cruddy bolts holding the front exhaust portion to the 3-way cat, or anything behind that. Simply remove all the rubber exhaust hangers from front to back, and drop the whole thing. I found out that a few of the rubber hangers needed to be replaced as well. I was more worried about snapping off the studs holding the exhaust to the cats, but was able to remove by heating each nut with propane torch, then touching with a candle, and the wax gets sucked into the threads, and came off pretty easily. A couple of the studs spun out, but I was able to replace them with some Dorman studs I got locally at Oreilly.

This time lapse video of a guy doing a TL is pretty much what is involved, except you will not need to raise the engine to drop the pan. There is enough room to drop it without having to do that. Also, I didn't remove the front collectors from the rest of the exhaust, just dropped the whole thing from there back as mentioned above: TL reseal

This post from the Ridgeline forums, with pictures, helped as well: Ridgeline Reseal

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome ..i have been down the oil pan replacement already with a stripped oil pan bolt (this is why not to go to jiffy lube LOL ) Thanks for the tips :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Parts I ordered from Honda. You should be able to see all of these from the Ridgeline post:

08718-0004 HondaBond HT
15115-P8A-A01 Oil Pump Gasket
91310-PH7-000 O-Ring for Oil Strainer
91212-R70-A02 Crank Seal (if you hadn't replaced during a previous TB job, now is the time to do it)
15825-P8A-A01 Spool valve gasket (oil filter housing)
36172-P8A-A01 Solenoid Base gasket
91319-PR3-003 O-ring for solenoid switch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts