Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 Pilot that was parked outside for two weeks while I was visiting some family, and didn’t realize it was being directly hit by the sprinklers. The water there is very hard. Fast forward to today when I tried to clean it, and the car is a mess: the vast majority is covered in very visible water spots that won’t come off even after hand washing it, including the rims.

I called a detailer in my area and they said they’d be happy to take a look, and that depending on how severe it was they might even have to do polish/paint correction/wax. Does this sound normal? I’m happy to take it to a professional (the car has 5,000 miles and the last thing I feel like is making a mess), buy I’d like to know in advance what the options are to make sure I’m treated fairly, so any tips on this topic will be more than welcome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
345 Posts
Yes that sounds pretty fair, hard water spots are a pain in the butt to completely remove. So most of the time using buffing compound and a cutting pad is needed. And then an ultra fine polish, and one final step that eliminates the swirl marks from the previous two steps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Happened to me when I lived in the midwest. Hard water sports from a sprinkler when I was gone for 2 weeks. It essentially etched the paint. Had to use a rubbing compound then polish as well.
Ceramic coatings or the newer graphene coatings help with keeping water off and the vehicle cleaner.
Pan the organizer on youtube is great for car detailing info

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a 2020 Pilot that was parked outside for two weeks while I was visiting some family, and didn’t realize it was being directly hit by the sprinklers. The water there is very hard. Fast forward to today when I tried to clean it, and the car is a mess: the vast majority is covered in very visible water spots that won’t come off even after hand washing it, including the rims.

I called a detailer in my area and they said they’d be happy to take a look, and that depending on how severe it was they might even have to do polish/paint correction/wax. Does this sound normal? I’m happy to take it to a professional (the car has 5,000 miles and the last thing I feel like is making a mess), buy I’d like to know in advance what the options are to make sure I’m treated fairly, so any tips on this topic will be more than welcome.

Thank you.
Yes that's about right. Just another reason I ceramic coat dam near everything I own that's painted. Have it done or ceramic coat the Pilot yourself. Its not hard to do, just takes time. After the paint correction will be the Perfect time to do it.

I use Car Pro Cquartz, its Excellent! https://amzn.to/32XkzUc

Its very easy to do, just take time. Wash, Clay, Wash again and then wipe down the paint with Alcohol. Apply the coating, let haze and wipe off...Keep it in the sun and dry for 24 hours

Pan has a great video on it....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
In case enough haven't said it... yes polish and maybe compound are necessary. Many new vehicles also need iron removed (especially lighter colored).

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
You might try doing another DIY step with clay and dishwashing detergent before you call out the cavalry. You can get detailers clay at parts stores and even WalMart. I make a thick foamy bucket of Dawn suds and hand-wash the car, rinse, and then put the foam on a section at a time to use the clay. You'll make a thin pancake of clay big enough to go under your fingers, so maybe 3" in diameter. With just fingertip pressure, glide the clay over the paint in a front-to-rear direction. The clay should slide easily without dragging, and you'll be able to feel with your fingers when everything is off the paint. If the clay feels like it's dragging, add more foam. Rinse and move to the next section. Start at the top of the car and work your way down. Knead and turn the clay as it accumulates crud from the paint.

The clay suppliers want you to use their instant-detailer spray for the lubricant; Save that for after you wax or seal the paint as the final step. Dawn has water softeners that will help some with the calcium hard water spots. The clay takes off contaminants that stand proud of the paint surface, and lubricated correctly there is no abrasion to the paint itself. Still, use front-to-back to mimic the flow of air and airborne crud on the car while driving. This will help avoid any halo scratching that results from rubbing in circles. Same applies to waxing/sealing and buffing. Never in a circle, always follow the airflow direction.

Virtually all paint correction steps include abrasives that remove a tiny bit of paint. Judicious use of clay on its own as a step, or as a step before using abrasives, will extend the life of paint on the car. Protect the paint at all times with your favorite wax, sealant or coating, and re-apply before it "needs it" again. It's still super smooth that way the next time you do it, and a whole lot less work.

Reactions: FASTFJR

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your answers! I ended up taking it to the detailer (I'm not particularly handy and rather have a professional fix this) and after taking a look they said that unfortunately they will need to go with the most aggressive solution (compound/polish/paint correction).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Highly recommend Chemical Guys products. Here’s a quick video of the product used to remove water spots:
As some have suggested, more aggressive steps are needed if etched in the paint. CG has products & instructional videos as well.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
588 Posts
Highly recommend Chemical Guys products. Here’s a quick video of the product used to remove water spots:
As some have suggested, more aggressive steps are needed if etched in the paint. CG has products & instructional videos as well.
I bought their foam wash at Walmart and it sucks. I would return it but the fucking bottle top broke and I want to mail it back to them with a middle finger.

My buddy swears by their stuff but my tap water is slightly hard and it doesn't do well. Never ever had an issue with Maguire's products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to me when I lived in the midwest. Hard water sports from a sprinkler when I was gone for 2 weeks. It essentially etched the paint. Had to use a rubbing compound then polish as well.
Ceramic coatings or the newer graphene coatings help with keeping water off and the vehicle cleaner.
Pan the organizer on youtube is great for car detailing info by aperfectshinedetailing.com
Then what you did?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pan the organizer on youtube is great for car detailing info by blacktiedetailing
Link plz

·
Registered
426 Posts
Watch "How To Safely Remove Hard Water Spots And Mineral Deposits From Black Paint!!" on YouTube

-there's the water spots for starters.
- check out his channel for ceramic coatings.
-I use autogeek and detailed image for chemicals. They have %25 off every few weeks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts