Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched forum and cannot find solution. Our 2014 Pilot takes up to 7 seconds of cranking before it finally starts. We might go 2 weeks with no trouble; immediate start, and then the next 2 weeks it's "long cranking".

I cannot find the solution in the discussion... but I'm sure it's here somewhere.

Clearly this is a common issue. Please point me to the right discussion (hyperlink) that has the solutions etc.

Thanks everyone

Mike

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
No it’s not a common issue, otherwise it would be documented.
Start with the basics. Get your battery and alternator tested.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Milage? A check engine light?
This is usually an older vehicle problem. Has general maintanance been done?

·
Registered
910 Posts
The OP indicates it cranks for 7 seconds--a good battery and starter-- before it catches, and he doesn't mention any drivability issues or CEL after that. This symptom often points to a fuel system issue, and more specifically to a pump or pressure regulator fault. Less common a crank or cam sensor issue.

Reactions: dr bob

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
The OP indicates it cranks for 7 seconds--a good battery and starter-- before it catches, and he doesn't mention any drivability issues or CEL after that. This symptom often points to a fuel system issue, and more specifically to a pump or pressure regulator fault. Less common a crank or cam sensor issue.
Since we have no more information, it's kind of hard to speculate. If you have a set of spark plugs with 200k miles on them and have never been replaced, it would eventually be hard to start.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Without any additional information, you could try turning the key off and to the run position (not the crank position) about three times and then try to start it. See if that reduces the crank time to start.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Fuel system bleeding off pressure would be my first guess, but as others have said need a lot more info to say for sure. Huntertn has a good suggestion that should help prove / disprove this theoy.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
I would suggest you have a fuel system pressure test done, to check the fuel pump pressure, fuel line integrity and injection integrity.

If you are high mileage, have you checked/adjusted the valves? Have you check the air intake for cracks/leaks? Have you checked/changed the spark plugs?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

^^^^ This is where I'd start. A fuel pressure and bleed-down test would be my first real diagnostic step, after replacing the fuel pump relay just because. The pumps themselves very seldom "partially" fail, so the "works great sometimes / works poorly other times" would start me off with the relay. There's a little bit of diagnostics on the relay itself, but frankly i's cheaper-faster-easier to just put a new one in.

In my experience.

The relay in question is called the PGM-FI Main Relay 2, in the under-dash fuse/relay box. Top middle relay. Look at the diagram in the cover, or at your Owner's Manual if my description of the location isn't clear.

Other possible stupid things include the immobilizer chip in the key. Is your key intact, and for sure an original key? Immobilizer interrupts the fuel pump.

As others note, the fuel pump will run to pressurize the system by cycling the key quickly from off to run (position 0 to position 2) three times but don't turn it to start (position). The pump should run for a few seconds then stop.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 9 of 9 Posts