Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though Honda won’t acknowledge the problem, the hard brake pedal in the mornings, is a faulty booster or master cylinder. Bought our 19 Pilot in February..4300 Miles. Took to dealership in town, and they’re putting us in a rental for the weekend. Would’ve had fixed today, but they sent wrong part, so says service manager. The shop foreman got in it this morning and was like wow, something is wrong. I said ya don’t say lol. Well hope this helps some of y’all

·
Registered
137 Posts
Even though Honda won’t acknowledge the problem, the hard brake pedal in the mornings, is a faulty booster or master cylinder. Bought our 19 Pilot in February..4300 Miles. Took to dealership in town, and they’re putting us in a rental for the weekend. Would’ve had fixed today, but they sent wrong part, so says service manager. The shop foreman got in it this morning and was like wow, something is wrong. I said ya don’t say lol. Well hope this helps some of y’all
We took our 17 in numerous times for this issue. Been told that it's not an issue and it's supposed to be this way. It wasn't that way when we bought our car. . It used to only do it on very cold mornings. Now, it does it whenever the car hasn't been driven for a few hours.

The dealership only seems to care that
  • the car will start when pressing on the hard pedal
  • the pedal returns to normal behavior when the car is running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We took our 17 in numerous times for this issue. Been told that it's not an issue and it's supposed to be this way. It wasn't that way when we bought our car. . It used to only do it on very cold mornings. Now, it does it whenever the car hasn't been driven for a few hours.

The dealership only seems to care that
  • the car will start when pressing on the hard pedal
  • the pedal returns to normal behavior when the car is running.
Sounds like your dealership is garbage, mine has taken care of me. They replaced master cylinder, and now it’s doing it again...so they’re replacing brake lines and brake booster. I’d contact the BBB and maybe start lemon law proceedings. I’ve played this game too many times with Chevy/GMC now we are having issues with a Honda lol, go figure. But my dealership is working with me. We have 4700 miles on our Pilot. Just stay persistent, threaten them with the Better Business Bureau. My service advisor told me today that Honda is finally realizing something is wrong with these brakes. Hope you get your issues resolved and ours too. The brakes are very hard after a few hours. Hopefully this resolves it and it’s no longer an issue. In Louisiana they have to attempt to fix 3 times in a year and I can start the lemon law buy back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh also, it’s the brake fluid going around a faulty seal getting into the booster. Or so I’ve been told

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had this problem on my 2016 Pilot and it was a bad brake booster. It would happen after you let the car sit over night. Once you start the car it would be perfectly fine. They fixed it with out a problem. I had the same thing happen to my wifes 18 HRV it was about 4 months old when it started to happen and it was not easy getting them to fix it but they did after WORDS with the service manager

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this problem on my 2016 Pilot and it was a bad brake booster. It would happen after you let the car sit over night. Once you start the car it would be perfectly fine. They fixed it with out a problem. I had the same thing happen to my wifes 18 HRV it was about 4 months old when it started to happen and it was not easy getting them to fix it but they did after WORDS with the service manager
Yeah, I’m playing nice right now. The service advisor said he was going to try and get Honda to replace the booster. Honda needs to realize they obviously have a design flaw in certain boosters. I wouldn’t want to mess around with brakes, if I were Honda....Lawsuits fixing to happen.....well hopefully I’ll get a new booster and it’ll get resolved. Honda fixing to pay a pilot note too! Lol, my wife wants her ride back

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got a 2019 Pilot 2 days ago and every morning the pedal is stiff. I checked again after 4 hours and it is stiff again. It's been happening for me frequently

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I’m playing nice right now. The service advisor said he was going to try and get Honda to replace the booster. Honda needs to realize they obviously have a design flaw in certain boosters. I wouldn’t want to mess around with brakes, if I were Honda....Lawsuits fixing to happen.....well hopefully I’ll get a new booster and it’ll get resolved. Honda fixing to pay a pilot note too! Lol, my wife wants her ride back
Did you end up getting a new booster replaced? What was the outcome?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this morning will be the 4th time my wife’s Pilot has been to the dealership for hard brake pedal. It didn’t do it when we bought it, and after 2 master cylinder replacements and 3 booster replacements it still does it. Hopped in a brand new 2019 on the lot to compare, brake pedal depressed a good 2-3 inches and it started. My wife’s might have an inch or less. This is extremely aggravating. Now when she drives you barely tap the brakes and it wants to send you flying forward. Brakes are way too sensitive. Literally barely any pedal movement, just slight foot pressure and you’re locking them up almost. I’m fixing to contact the BBB and start the lemon law. My buddy just did this on his mustang and was successful. Didn’t pay almost 40k for this Pilot touring model for it to do this. Also the transmission is now being really stupid, jerking and can’t find the gear it wants. Honda has really let me down with this Pilot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, did I mention the brakes get stiff after the Pilot sits for about 5 minutes?? This was immediately after the tech replaced the booster. I’m done, lemon law it shall be.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The problem of the brake booster losing vacuum is due to a defective check valve in the vacuum line from the booster to the intake manifold. No amount of replacing the booster itself or the master cylinder will correct this. All you need to do is replace the failed check valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That must be what the dealership called about yesterday. Tuesday I dropped it off and said don’t call me back until it’s fixed and it stays that way a while. Well service manager called me, and says “it’s something we’ve been overlooking” so I bet the
valve is what it is. Thanks Sleepwalker, we shall see in a little bit. I’ll keep everyone updated on the solution

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any update?
I went and got the Pilot last week, they told me it was a loose clamp on the brake line somewhere. I told them about the valve and he said he didn’t think it was the issue. So guess what? Get in to warm it up this morning for the wife and BAM!!!! Stiff brake pedal. Now this will be the 5th time it’s been in the shop. I will absolutely request the valve in the booster line be replaced. I’m a pretty laid back individual, but this is getting out of hand!!!! I’m so sick of dealing with this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll add this, the clamp helped somewhat. It was losing vacuum after 5 minutes, now it’s back to 10-12 hours (overnight)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Probably a combination of Alabama stupidity and dealer stupidity. These things aren’t hi-tech. Heck, vacuum brake boosters have probably been around 50 or 60 years now. Sorry for the rant, just way too many stupid people in this world that are ruining the lives of the rest of us. The movie “Idiocracy” was a very accurate harbinger of the future of humanity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably a combination of Alabama stupidity and dealer stupidity. These things aren’t hi-tech. Heck, vacuum brake boosters have probably been around 50 or 60 years now. Sorry for the rant, just way too many stupid people in this world that are ruining the lives of the rest of us. The movie “Idiocracy” was a very accurate harbinger of the future of humanity.
That’s actually one of my favorite movies. We are most certainly moving towards Idiocracy lol. Dropping off next week so they can replace valve. I’m also going to try and see if Honda will pick up a payment? It’s been in the shop a total of 16 days since we’ve had it since February

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think asking Honda to pay for one payment is reasonable, especially if you do bi-weekly instalments.
It's funny that you mentioned bi-weekly installments. I don't think those type of payments are very common at all (except from perhaps a buy here pay here type of used car lot) in the United States. I'm not sure why it is prevalent in Canada compared to here in the states. Perhaps the higher cost of automobiles? A few banks are offering the option, but not anything like I have read about there in Canada.

I understand the savings involved when making bi-weekly payments, but I couldn't imagine having to write a check every other week for a car payment. Once a month is more than enough, even though naturally that check amount is a little more than double of the bi-weekly amount. Just hasn't caught on here much at all, yet!

·
Registered
240 Posts
In canada we’ve stopped using checks almost altogether. Same with cash. Plastic and electronic are the preferred methods here. Funny thing though that nobody wants to be paid with PayPal anymore. I think only fleabay is keeping it alive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts