Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what some of us would do if you're being tail-gate. In New york this bound to happen quite a bit. Here is what I do. I start spraying water on my windshield. This action will cause some amount of water to hit the windshield of the car behinh you. So the close the car to you the more water hit the car. This I find annoy the HELL out of the driver behind you and usually the driver behind you will back off or change lane and leave you alone.

:2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Turn On--

the headlights. During the day I have been known to reach up and switch on the headlights. Of course the taillights also come on. It's usually a few seconds before the tailgater realizes you didn't hit the brake. By then they may have already slammed on the brakes.:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had that exact thing happen to me tonight. Some teeny-bopper in a blazer was in a hurry and was about 6 inches off my back bumper. The person next to me was going the speed limit (what a shame ;) ) so I just went alongside of them.

I used to get more freaked out with my Integra but the Pilot sits so high that I thought "bring it on".

Needless to say she backed off :4:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I intermittently, very lightly, depress the brake pedal, just enough for the light to come on and not enough for the brakes to engage. This usually makes them hit their brakes hard ... after a couple of times they pull away ...

PrG

·
Registered
340 Posts
I definately would not recommend this, but I have tried it and it works. When they get in close, pop the emergency brake real quick and release. You car doesn't nose dive, but you slow a just a little and very abruptly. Usually scares the poop out of 'em.

Also, I certainly wouldn't do this in a nice new vehicle or one with a plastic bumpers. Trucks are best for this technique :31:

BTW, it's pretty hard to do if you have the under the dash type you have to press with your foot. I would only try it with the hand release kind where you can keep your finger on the button.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Whoa ... that's pretty ballsy ... maybe not to smart though ... something I would try in a POS though ...

PrG

·
Registered
340 Posts
PrG said:
Whoa ... that's pretty ballsy ... maybe not to smart though ... something I would try in a POS though ...
I didn't say it was a good idea :22:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r_hammel said:
Or you could just wave your gun in the air. That'd calm 'em down.
in Many part of the world, including US, would get you kill. If you are not going to use it , DONT take it out. :D .

·
Registered
102 Posts
I find a safe place to pull over and do so immediately. I have taught (with much difficulty) my wife to do the same. She would be one of the ones to hit the brakes fast and back off them. It is not worth it. Many tailgaters are simply daydreamers or on autopilot and you risk a potential accident for nothing. If the one behind you is an aggressive driver let him/her by. You are always better off having this type of driver in front of you because usually they drive well beyond their ability to control their vehicle.

I want to be around to go home, have a beer and pet the dog.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
340 Posts
r_hammel said:
Or you could just wave your gun in the air. That'd calm 'em down.
Here in the wild west, eveyone else has a gun and flashing some steele just starts another shootout :11:

But it does make the commute more entertaining ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
djs said:
I find a safe place to pull over and do so immediately. I have taught (with much difficulty) my wife to do the same. She would be one of the ones to hit the brakes fast and back off them. It is not worth it. Many tailgaters are simply daydreamers or on autopilot and you risk a potential accident for nothing. If the one behind you is an aggressive driver let him/her by. You are always better off having this type of driver in front of you because usually they drive well beyond their ability to control their vehicle.

I hate it when people post an intellegent and thoughtful reply :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
djs said:

#09131 SS EX

Amen. Let it go. Who knows, maybe someone slipped a laxative in their lunch, and their in a hurry for a reason! :2:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Threadhead said:
I definately would not recommend this, but I have tried it and it works. When they get in close, pop the emergency brake real quick and release. You car doesn't nose dive, but you slow a just a little and very abruptly. Usually scares the poop out of 'em.

Watching 3TV for any accidents on I-17 with a Sandstone Pilot...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My solution

Along with the "Tapping the brake peddle" to flash the lights.
I figure that the space in front and behind me is my safety zone.
For ever car length the person behind me takes, I give another in front. I don't brake to slow down, just drift to a slower speed.

1. That way I an sure I will not have to react fast enough to have him hit me.
2. It REALY pisses them off :)

as soon as they are off my bumber I resume my normal 5 to 10 MPH over, so passing me is a real pain.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like the let them go by idea. However, most of the time, after they pass you, they go the same speed limit as you were. In this case, it's very tempting to tailgate them back. What a shame that life is so important. Couldn't I buy another one so I can get back at the tailgater? lol :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tailgaters

Yeah,

This is one of my pet peeves. Normally if I am in my M3 I just mash down the accelerator and make them a tiny dot in the rearview mirror. If I am in the Pilot, I am normally with the wife and baby so I just move over and let them by. I like the bumper sticker I saw on the back window of an old pickup a few weeks ago.

As an NRA Member and Texas resident I love this type of humor.

Don't honk in Texas this bumper sticker might be a real warning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the optional moonroof, I mean launching pad. I always keep a supply of Hostess Chocolate creme filled frosted cupcakes in the glove box. Any turkey tailgates me and...BAM, they will be sporting a chocolate mess on their windshield!

All kidding aside, I just move over and let the jerk move on to someone else, hoping that they tailgate an unmarked state cop!

It always amazes me when some moron flies all over the road, speeding, tailgating and weaving only to meet up again at the next set of lights!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts