Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just check the oil on our 19 Pilot. 1700 miles and 70% olm. Is it usually .5 qrts low from the factory? Thanks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hard to say. They typically come from the factory with full oil but if you haven't checked it before, there's a good chance it was down to begin with. Or it might have used this much oil during break-in when oil consumption is sometimes abnormally high for a few hundred miles and then drops to a long-term average . Or you might just have gotten a bit unlucky with a car that uses one qt every 3500 miles or so which, while not optimal, is well within normal tolerances. My 2006 is usually down 3/4-qt between 6K oil changes which works out to be about a qt every 8K - been this way since new.

Just monitor more closely going forward to see what the trend is. And, of course, top off if necessary to keep above the "Add" mark.

Tire pressures and fluid levels are one of the first things I check on a new car after getting it home. Dealers are notorious for poor pre-delivery inspection.

- Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say. They typically come from the factory with full oil but if you haven't checked it before, there's a good chance it was down to being with. It might have used this much oil during break-in where oil consumption is sometimes pretty high for a few hundred miles and then drops - stabilized oil consumption is a strong indicator that break in is over. Or you might just have a car that uses a qt every 3500 miles or so which while not optimal, is well within normal tolerances.

Just monitor more closely going forward to see what the trend is. And, of course, top off if necessary to keep above the "Add" mark.

Tire pressures and fluid levels are one of the first things I check on a new car after getting it home. Dealers are notorious for poor pre-delivery inspection.

- Mark
Thank you sir. I’ll keep an eye on the level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts