Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious about the subject. Having a 17 Pilot that has been in an accident, obviously a broken motor mount may have occured. But I've read many threads where people have said they took thier new Pilot to the dealership and found out it had a broken motor mount. Good grief, a 2019 you just drove off the lot. Are these 3rd Gen Pilots more prone to have broken motor mounts? Any insight, would be appreciated. Which mount and why?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can you tell if a new motor mount is needed? I’ve been hearing a squeak over bumps and can’t find the source. Perhaps it’s a motor mount.
I've seen a broken mount on the front of a 3rd gen model Pilot (wrecked one). To the eye it was difficult to see, but when you rub your hand over it, you could feel broken rubber separated underneath the thin rubber lining that covers it. This was from the engine being forced upward in a rollover. I can't visually see or feel any broken rubber in my mounts, but as you, I'm curious about how to spot or diagnose a broken mount. I know you can type in Google to search this kind of question. I'm looking for personal experiences, specifically on 3rd Gen Pilots. I must admit I'm not entirely sure if I have a broken one or not. By sight and touch isn't revealing any problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back in the early years of the VCM implementation, Honda had failures with the hydraulic engine mounts especially on higher mileage vehicles, but has often occurred on lower mileage too. Some of the mountswould rupture and leak fluid because of the vibration and harmonics when the VCM engages. As years gone by, I believe Honda “improved” their active motor mount design by associating it with the ECU(I could be wrong), but as what I have observed, it still has an inherent finicky design that still leads to premature wear.

My cousins 2012 Odyssey had his piston ring recall and front engine mount done at 90,000 miles. He drives a lot of highway miles where the VCM is mostly active to save gas. After the repair, he disabled the VCM using a muzzler. Currently his Odyssey have 145,000sh miles now and no oil consumption, vibration or any problems associated with the motor mounts.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in the early years of the VCM implementation, Honda had failures with the hydraulic engine mounts especially on higher mileage vehicles, but has often occurred on lower mileage too. Some of the mountswould rupture and leak fluid because of the vibration and harmonics when the VCM engages. As years gone by, I believe Honda “improved” their active motor mount design by associating it with the ECU(I could be wrong), but as what I have observed, it still has an inherent finicky design that still leads to premature wear.
Like a doctor treating a symtom and not fixing the cause. Double down.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
VCM man, all those vibrations that you don't feel from the uneven firing goes somewhere.

Reactions: Silverwolfe

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had all 3 (I think) on my 18 Pilot replaced due to an annoying squeak. I think they even replaced one twice. Quiet now!
Did you have a big jolt upon start up?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
3 Posts
Im just curious about the subject. Having a 17 Pilot that has been in an accident, obviously a broken motor mount may have occured. But I've read many threads where people have said they took thier new Pilot to the dealership and found out it had a broken motor mount. Good grief, a 2019 you just drove off the lot. Are these 3rd Gen Pilots more prone to have broken motor mounts? Any insight, would be appreciated. Which mount and why?
I have a 2019 EXL with 15K miles. No accidents of any kind, just easy city driving. I have been hearing a chirping sound for a couple months which I assumed were belts due to the cold weather. Took it in yesterday for the second round of maintenance minder and the dealer couldn't replicate the noises. I persisted and had them review my videos again where the audio showed the chirping noise surface when shifting from Park to in gear (reverse, D, L). Shifting to N or back to P and the noise goes away at idle in the driveway. Under power the chirping noise is present until certain RPMs and speed is achieved but coming to a stop and idling in gear the noise comes back. Before I left the dealer, I replicated the noise and the service manager suspected the electronic motor mount. They pulled it back into the shop and disconnected the motor mounts one by one to troubleshoot. Allegedly you can just unplug the electronics from them and they are disabled. Said it was a rear motor mount that needs to be replaced. Covered under warranty. I need to research more on why this is occurring but it is odd that as soon as the service manager heard it, he went straight to motor mount, which makes me assume this is becoming more prevalent.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2019 EXL with 15K miles. No accidents of any kind, just easy city driving. I have been hearing a chirping sound for a couple months which I assumed were belts due to the cold weather. Took it in yesterday for the second round of maintenance minder and the dealer couldn't replicate the noises. I persisted and had them review my videos again where the audio showed the chirping noise surface when shifting from Park to in gear (reverse, D, L). Shifting to N or back to P and the noise goes away at idle in the driveway. Under power the chirping noise is present until certain RPMs and speed is achieved but coming to a stop and idling in gear the noise comes back. Before I left the dealer, I replicated the noise and the service manager suspected the electronic motor mount. They pulled it back into the shop and disconnected the motor mounts one by one to troubleshoot. Allegedly you can just unplug the electronics from them and they are disabled. Said it was a rear motor mount that needs to be replaced. Covered under warranty. I need to research more on why this is occurring but it is odd that as soon as the service manager heard it, he went straight to motor mount, which makes me assume this is becoming more prevalent.
Very intresting post. I'm very curious to know how disconnecting a motor mount will help with diagnosing a bad one. Thanks for your post!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
3 Posts
Very intresting post. I'm very curious to know how disconnecting a motor mount will help with diagnosing a bad one. Thanks for your post!
From my very limited research, by just unplugging it (not un-mounting it), the electronics are no longer talking to the ECU or whatever is communicating with motor mounts. So if there are compensators, or absorbers (technical terms :)), that typically move or work, unplugging them causes them to act like a standard motor mount and the noise goes away... I think. As you unplug a mount, one by one, when the noise goes away, you may have found the bad one. I also just talked to an Acura service manager and he has had a handful of failed electronic rear motor mounts on MDX's and RDX's that had no collision damage.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my very limited research, by just unplugging it (not un-mounting it), the electronics are no longer talking to the ECU or whatever is communicating with motor mounts. So if there are compensators, or absorbers (technical terms :)), that typically move or work, unplugging them causes them to act like a standard motor mount and the noise goes away... I think. As you unplug a mount, one by one, when the noise goes away, you may have found the bad one. I also just talked to an Acura service manager and he has had a handful of failed electronic rear motor mounts on MDX's and RDX's that had no collision damage.
Looks like I have some testing to do. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
All very interesting... My '19 touring has been plaqued w/odd vibrations. The weirdest/worst vibration was from 30s-70s, felt kinda forward/back in the car vs usual steering wheel back & forth. Put S-VCM on, gone. Seems like that would imply motor mount(s)?

But there's also something else also going on. If motor mount(s) are bad, what else has been affected?? Drive-shaft? Tranny? Wheel bearing?

OH, I've talked to some of you in other threads, sorry about the repeat.....

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All very interesting... My '19 touring has been plaqued w/odd vibrations. The weirdest/worst vibration was from 30s-70s, felt kinda forward/back in the car vs usual steering wheel back & forth. Put S-VCM on, gone. Seems like that would imply motor mount(s)?

But there's also something else also going on. If motor mount(s) are bad, what else has been affected?? Drive-shaft? Tranny? Wheel bearing?

OH, I've talked to some of you in other threads, sorry about the repeat.....
The best way I could describe one noise I had that would make you think you had drive train issues is a soprano range vibration sound ~verrrrrrrrrt. It would occur whe accelerating but more often decelerating.
I replaced both front and back engine mounts, vibrations and ~verrrrrrrt sound fixed. The S-VCM did not prevent the sound but helped in fixing my ill behaving transmission.
I am still curious about how the electronics work in the front and back engine mounts. Are they always on or only during VCM operation. When we use VCM didablers, does this stop our engine mounts from absorbing vibrations. Especially on start up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I am still curious about how the electronics work in the front and back engine mounts. Are they always on or only during VCM operation. When we use VCM didablers, does this stop our engine mounts from absorbing vibrations. Especially on start up

I asked you that question about the VCM disabler when you first posted about replacing your engine mounts. I guess you haven't been able to find out any further information on how they work?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still curious about how the electronics work in the front and back engine mounts. Are they always on or only during VCM operation. When we use VCM didablers, does this stop our engine mounts from absorbing vibrations. Especially on start up

I asked you that question about the VCM disabler when you first posted about replacing your engine mounts. I guess you haven't been able to find out any further information on how they work?
Obviously not. Haven't looked or talked any more about it.
All I can say at this point is my Pilot is like a different vehicle since I replaced both front and back engine mounts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts