Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in a Group buy via Tim for the trailer hitch package kit? Kit includes trailer hitch, wiring harness, transmission and power steering coolers (hitch ball not included).

Regular Price $525. Less 10% discount would be $472.50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Count me in.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep - Me Three!

Ed F
H-Blue

·
Registered
61 Posts
Optional Source

If you folks can't get enough players to get Tim's deal, handa-accessories.com has it for about $441 plus shipping. For me it was $44 for shipping, $485 total. Not as good as Tim's group buy price, though.:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Five more?

Got to make a move on the hitch (just bought a boat this weekend). At last count, we've got 5 people interested in purchasing - any chance we'll get 5 more?

Now's your chance folks!

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Count me in ...

PrG

·
Registered
26 Posts
DIY?

Is this thing a DIY? I may eventually need the towing capabilities, but near term I would like to use it with a bike rack attached to the hitch. Might be overkill though...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
http://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.htm

Your right, to do the whole package just for a bike rack is a bit much. Follow the link for great PILOT specific, economical, hitch solutions.

PrG

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's nice to see some other alternatives, but the price of the hitch itself isn't that much different from the price of the Honda hitch. That site lists the hitch for around $120, plus $20 shipping - if you add the receiver ($20) you're around $160. H and Accessories lists the hitch for $178 plus shipping.
Where the difference REALLY comes-in, is the inflated prices for Honda's trans and p/s coolers ($180 and $160 each). The etrailer site lists the wiring for $30 and the trans cooler for $50. Not knowing what an aftermarket p/s cooler costs, I can only guess that judging from the trans cooler, it would be in the $50 range. Those two alone save you over $200!

Thanks for the etrailer post!

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes ... but if you're just getting a hitch to put a bike rack on and not to tow than why go through the trouble with a trans fluid cooler and wiring?

PrG

·
Registered
385 Posts
gewf631 said:
Where the difference REALLY comes-in, is the inflated prices for Honda's trans and p/s coolers ($180 and $160 each). The etrailer site lists the wiring for $30 and the trans cooler for $50. Not knowing what an aftermarket p/s cooler costs, I can only guess that judging from the trans cooler, it would be in the $50 range. Those two alone save you over $200!

Thanks for the etrailer post!

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L
Whats even more annoying is that (not only are the "etrailer" coolers way cheaper) they are way more substantial than the Honda ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the link PRG...Which one is better, the Hidden Hitch or Max Frame? Are these as good/better than the one Honda offers? Finally, if I just get the hitch now for my current meager needs of hauling bikes around, can I add the PS coolers and wiring later (say in a few years)? Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here's a couple other options...

Hitches for Less
Hitch (Draw-Tite) is $110, wiring is $23, trans cooler is $40-$60, shipping to Chicago-area is $30

Hitches 4 Less
Hitch is (Hidden Hitch) $180 Odyssey wiring is $32, shipping is FREE

and for comparison, the etrailer site lists these prices...
$120 Draw-Tite
$100 Hidden Hitch
with shipping (to Chicago area) running about $20

My Internet search for brand-preference have come-up empty. Hopefully there's someone on this board with some experience. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Hidden Hitch, with the pricier trans cooler (they're listed as "High Performance", so they must be better <VBG>).

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L

·
Registered
385 Posts
Run a "search" of this site. I recall someone having some "fit" problems (I think) with the Draw Tite. Anyway, there were photos posted of the Hidden Hitch (which BTW is not so hidden when their large decal is visible for free advertising).

I'd set you up with a link, but its too painstaking to navigate right now with the site being sooo sloowwww.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I decided to get the drawtite hitch with Redskins hitch cover from etrailer.com. It seemed to be the best overall deal after you factor in shipping ($21.70) for a total of $174.60. I will get the coolers and wiring later since I only need it for hauling all the kids bikes for now. Anyone have a hitch mounted bike carrier that they prefer? I am leaning towards the "matching" drawtite foldable 3 bike carrier...

·
Registered
385 Posts
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&thre [url]http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261&highlight=drawtiteadid=261&highlight=drawtite[/url]

·
Registered
166 Posts
About those coolers...

Since I was in a searching mood, I decided to see what I could find for trans and p/s coolers.

Prices seemed to hover around that $50 mark - more money usually means a larger cooler and/or a better warranty.

Summit Racing carries a line by Perma-Cool that integrates 2 coolers into one housing. Here's an example of one that lists for around $100 with a lifetime warranty.

Question for those of you who installed the Honda cooler(s) - how big are they? Judging from the installation instructions posted on the H and A site, they sure don't seem like much. The only advantage is that they mount right-up.

Thanks everyone,

Ed F
Havasu Blue EX-L

·
Registered
26 Posts
Allright, changed plans again...After seing those pictures at the link provided by davemc, I ordered the Hidden Hitch instead. Looks like it is a nice fit, and its only $99.95 at etrailer.com! Thanks for the link davemc!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts