Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite sometime now, I've been getting squeaking noise from one the brakes on the rightside and when I decided to give it a look, I found this one noticeable groove on the front right brake disc. All the other discs are smooth as glass, with no noticeable surface grooves or distortion at all. The groove is about a quarter of the way in from the outer edge of the disc and it must go all the way around since I can see it at the upper portion of the disc and the lower as well. And I don't know if this makes sense, but the inner part of the groove looks to be smooth as well, not rough.

The groove isn't that deep nor that wide at all. But I can certainly see it and also feel it when I run my finger over it. (Oh, btw, if you ever need to touch your brake discs, make sure to have had parked your car for a while before doing so, unless you like squealing like a little girl. People think you're a weirdo when you make this noise hunched over one of your tires in a parking lot :eek: )

I'm wondering if it's possible that a very small rock or debris had been caught between the disc and the brake pad and that was the cause of this groove? If that's the case, perhaps it's possible that the debris might be embedded into the brake discs since I'm getting this squeaking noise when I apply the brakes at relatively low speeds, say below 25MPH (40KM/H)? And yes, I get the noise even when the car's not "cold".

I'm taking my Pilot in for one of its scheduled service next Monday and I plan to show the groove to the service advisor and see what he says. Just in case he writes it off as being nothing to worry about, despite the brake squealing, what are some of the points concern I can present to him to get him to have a technician inspect the brakes thoroughly? I mean, a groove forming on a brake disc isn't normal, is it? Thanks for your time and input.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Groovy Brakes

RipRock

You're right - a little piece of debris got between your brake pad and the rotor and caused some minor damage - This very common on disk brakes, expecially on cars that are used in dusty, dirty or snowy environments. It normally does not cause any problems and normally does not cause the brakes to squeal.

If you want to inspect the brake pads and rotors it is very easy to remove the pads to inspect both the pads and rotor - If you decide to do so I recommend that you thoroughly clean both the pads and the rotor with spray 'brake cleaner' before reassembling - Do not touch the pads or rotor during the reassembly process or you will get the oil from your fingers on the brake assembly (which never does it any good since at the very least the oil will attract dust, and dirt and other not so good stuff).

JJ

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Groovy Brakes

raleighpilot said:
RipRock
- If you decide to do so I recommend that you thoroughly clean both the pads and the rotor with spray 'brake cleaner' before reassembling - Do not touch the pads or rotor during the reassembly process or you will get the oil from your fingers on the brake assembly (which never does it any good since at the very least the oil will attract dust, and dirt and other not so good stuff).

JJ
Yes clean everything with "Brake Cleaner" (Only Brake Cleaner!), but as long as your hands are not greasy you can relax about touching the rotors and pads.
Remember these parts are exposed to the environment, so they are not kept "clean" in use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts