Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife 2019 Pilot EX-L is making a grinding sound, when I start the car using the remote start. In fact, it’s making the same noise like in this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like the AC compressor clutch engaging. Not sure it why it would be related to remote start. Does it happen when you start the vehicle normally? My Ridgeline has made the same noise a couple of times.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
It help if we knew what side of the engine it's coming from. If it's the drivers side, the starter may be trying to engage again after the engine has started.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
The comments on that youtube video say that the culprit was a bad AC compressor, which is the same thing Cbayman says, so I'd put my money on that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It help if we knew what side of the engine it's coming from. If it's the drivers side, the starter may be trying to engage again after the engine has started.
Wouldn't it make a really loud screech if the starter turned on?

·
Registered
813 Posts
D
My wife 2019 Pilot EX-L is making a grinding sound, when I start the car using the remote start. In fact, it’s making the same noise like in this video.

Is the Pilot in this video messed up or something(besides the grind)? My Pilot doesn't take that many cranks to turn on. Or could it just be the cars without auto stop/ start?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Pilot only does it when the car sits for a few days. I don’t think it does when I do the push to start.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Have you sat in the car and started it with the remote. It may just sound different when you’re not in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Pilot touring started making the same noise a few months ago either with the push button or the remote start. It's more frequent lately but does not happen every time it's started.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am confirming I have this exact same sound on my 2018, every start up. I've noticed it ever since the temps started climbing in the spring. My climate control is always on auto, so it would make sense to hear it every time.

My question is, is this indicative of a problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same sound on my 2016 Pilot. It happens when I turn on the AC. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the compressor (under Warranty). It did not solve the issue. It is still making the sound but now I feel the car shake at times. I will need to take it back. I also have issue with the AC, I turn it on for the front vent only and the rear vent blows hot -but that's for another day.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have the same sound on my 2016 Pilot. It happens when I turn on the AC. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the compressor (under Warranty). It did not solve the issue. It is still making the sound but now I feel the car shake at times. I will need to take it back. I also have issue with the AC, I turn it on for the front vent only and the rear vent blows hot -but that's for another day.
I have a 2013 Ford Edge with dual zone climate. One day the heater was blowing at max on one side, and ac was max on the other side. Turns out it was the blend door actuator(the thing that changes the temperature). I just duct taped the passenger side to cold all the way and that fixed it😅. I’m not sure if that’s the same issue with your pilot but I was just helping you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Edge with dual zone climate. One day the heater was blowing at max on one side, and ac was max on the other side. Turns out it was the blend door actuator(the thing that changes the temperature). I just duct taped the passenger side to cold all the way and that fixed it😅. I’m not sure if that’s the same issue with your pilot but I was just helping you out.
I appreciate it! I was looking around on the internet and came across someone was having the same issue with the AC vents. They said the mechanics replaced the heater box and core. So I think I'm gonna run and tell them that and hopefully that may be the issue. But with this sound I cannot find post anywhere that has a solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The noise is much clearer on my first video.

The 2020's that I have tested on the dealer lots made the same noise on a cold start. I must have started 8 different Pilots, and Ridgelines. Don't let them start the vehicle with the remote start from afar otherwise you won't hear the grinding noise. They have to be sitting without being started for a few days in the warm weather. On cold winter days it happens the next day.

Jr

1 - 20 of 23 Posts