Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L gray
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered a loud grinding/vibration when breaking on ice? It feels like a brake assist type thing to prevent sliding, but it sounds terrible and it feels like something is wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
If you keep braking hard on ice/snow, I'd get used to it.
My pilots, Gen 1 and Gen 2 both do it.

You're not going to ask how I know, are you? LOL

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Has anyone encountered a loud grinding/vibration when breaking on ice? It feels like a brake assist type thing to prevent sliding, but it sounds terrible and it feels like something is wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
If your Pilot is Maintained properly, no problem with it.

How about an intro post? May a pic- of the Pilot.

How many miles, etc.

Welcome to the club. After 25 posts you'll get the secret handshake LOL

Reactions: NewToThisPilotGame

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L gray
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How many miles, etc.

How many miles, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I'm not a big internet guy. I don't do forums, so I don't really know the ins and outs.
My pilot is in pristine condition, 126k miles. I'm the second owner, the first had every single record of every service, needed or not. I've only had it about 5 months, zero issues whatsoever. It has brand new pads and rotors. About 1k miles on them. I don't have any photos, but I'll try and get some. It's covered in a foot of snow currently. Lol. But there's a push back like a brake assist, and a loud grinding/vibrating. It only does it on ice/snow. Everything I've looked up says it's the brake assist. But I didn't think it would be so loud. Can't wait for the handshake!! Thank you for the reply! ✌🏻

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well, now I'm curious...🤔 Hahaha!
What year, trim model do you have?

The Phrase 'don't ask me how I know', is an internet thing mostly too.
I have NOT skidded and crashed a car, or one of our Honda Pilots.

No problem with not being an internet guy. You did find the 'faces'!

Let some others chime in, but I think that's what the Honda Pilots do/sound like/ brake pedal feel like when it keeping the wheel from skidding or locking up.

Reactions: NewToThisPilotGame

·
Registered
148 Posts
I drove a car that always sorta shuddered and croaked when the ABS was activated in a sudden way that it couldn't handle smoothly. For me, it was a Ford F150 driving in storm drain channels for work, where patches of algae grew in water that was barely moving and maybe half an inch "deep", on smooth concrete. Probably the same as ice for coefficient of friction. I am not 100% positive of course, but it always did it and there was no reason to suspect any mechanical issue, so I figured it was just the response of the ABS system to an 'extreme condition', letting go a bit, then tightening up again and locking the wheels cause so slippery, so letting go a little bit, then repeating.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,267 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Partner, sounds like the ABS is working properly. You should feel pulsating/vibration in the brake pedal when ABS is activated, and the noise you hear will likely be the ABS modulator under the hood. I've never had ABS actuate in my '06 Pilot, but have with other cars I've owned from various manufacturers. Each one sounded different when the ABS modulator activated.

If you want to test your ABS system to compare with what you're experiencing in icy conditions, find a gravel road (no ice or snow) and get up to at least 30mph (many ABS systems will not activate below 10-25 mph). Find a straight stretch, and at 30mph stand on the brakes hard and see if you get the same result. I expect you will. The thing to remember about ABS, it's designed to work when you keep your foot on the brake and safely stop you. Some folks make the mistake of letting up on the brake pedal when they feel ABS activate. Although ABS is not 100% foolproof, it greatly reduces your chances of entering a skid by not letting the wheels lock up. Basically, it pumps the brakes for you multiple times a second to avoid lockup and maintain steering, as the front wheels must rotate to be able to steer.

Let us know how your gravel road/straight line test works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts