Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About one week ago, I started to hear an unusual grinding noise from the engine when the tachometer was between 1.5 and 2.5. The noise abates when I'm cruising. Has anyone else experienced this? Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
is it a metal on metal tapping, knocking, pinging sound?

It could be the throttle cable bracket.
Do a search here or at ACURAMDX.org to find more on this topic

·
Registered
143 Posts
rosesav said:
About one week ago, I started to hear an unusual grinding noise from the engine when the tachometer was between 1.5 and 2.5. The noise abates when I'm cruising. Has anyone else experienced this? Any words of wisdom?
I had the same problem. Noticed the same grinding noise under the hood between 2000 and 3000 RPM last week, so I took it in to the Honda dealer today. They had to replace the belt tensioner (under warranty). Now it sounds normal and the problem appears to be solved. An Acura MDX owner posted the same problem/solution in their web thread.

P.S. I first tried to adjust the throttle cable bracket as suggested, but it did not work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer came up with the same diagnosis: the timing belt tension was loose due to a break in a hydraulic seal. It's fixed now. For me, the grinding noise started after an ice storm in the Northeast. I wonder if the weather had any part in the problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
About one week ago, I started to hear an unusual grinding noise from the engine when the tachometer was between 1.5 and 2.5. The noise abates when I'm cruising. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, a few of them..

If any of you experience this same type of noise than have the problem noise diagnosed asap...this problem should'nt be taken lightly and could cause considerable motor damage..

This is my first post in this forum, but heres my quote from another honda forum I belong too...

"The problem part involved is called a "hydraulic timing belt tensioner" This is a very serious issue.. It could cause your timing belt to "slip" causing the valves in the motor to actually make contact with the pistons creating MAJOR motor damage...

Honda is well aware of this failure, although no "official TSB" has been released to the Honda dealers yet, and I feel a nationalwide recall will be in the making.. I have seen 4 different **** (other Honda model) in the past week that have this problem.. as posted, the failed part is on a nat'l backorder status and is not readily available.. That should give you a clue to how widespread this problem is..

If you suspect you have a problem vehicle, exhibiting signs of "engine knock,tick, or some unknown motor noise that wasn't there previously, then please have your vehicle checked out at the local dealer to confirm there isn't a major problem..."

BreakStuff

Hi everyone!.. my first post :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
BreakStuff said:

Yes, a few of them..

If any of you experience this same type of noise than have the problem noise diagnosed asap...this problem should'nt be taken lightly and could cause considerable motor damage..

This is my first post in this forum, but heres my quote from another honda forum I belong too...

"The problem part involved is called a "hydraulic timing belt tensioner" This is a very serious issue.. It could cause your timing belt to "slip" causing the valves in the motor to actually make contact with the pistons creating MAJOR motor damage...

Honda is well aware of this failure, although no "official TSB" has been released to the Honda dealers yet, and I feel a nationalwide recall will be in the making.. I have seen 4 different **** (other Honda model) in the past week that have this problem.. as posted, the failed part is on a nat'l backorder status and is not readily available.. That should give you a clue to how widespread this problem is..

If you suspect you have a problem vehicle, exhibiting signs of "engine knock,tick, or some unknown motor noise that wasn't there previously, then please have your vehicle checked out at the local dealer to confirm there isn't a major problem..."

BreakStuff

ahh damn, I just heard this grinding noise too!! But only after I started the Pilot and was still in park? Is this the same thing?

rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gopilot said:

ahh damn, I just heard this grinding noise too!! But only after I started the Pilot and was still in park? Is this the same thing?

rob
Yes, it makes the grinding noise even in park. The important thing is look at the tachometer. If the needle is b/w 1.5and close to 3.0, it's probably the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
gopilot--- On mine, the engine idled/started quietly. It was only after accelerating the engine past 2000 rpm when the noise became apparent.

Breakstuff-- great post. I too am hoping that the noises I heard due to a faulty belt tensioner did not damage the engine in any significant way. For that and many other reasons, I recently increased my 3/36 warranty to 7/100.

rosesav-- glad to hear you got it fixed and I'm not the only one out there. I cannot relate any specific weather event to this malfunction, however. The dealer stated that mine was the first Pilot they had seen with this problem. However, they have repaired a few Odysseys with bad belt tensioners.

I have close to 10,000 miles and 9 months of driving on mine. Without a recall, I will be interested to see how many others may fail as time goes on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
BreakStuff said:

Yes, a few of them..

BreakStuff

Thanks for the heads-up BreakStuff.

Glad you joined us at this forum. Welcome!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks guys for this great info.. I will be going to my dealer soon..

rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow. this is scary. Please let me know how things unfold with the engine noise/belt problem. Seems like the starter issue is out of the way and only hit earlier made pilots. I'm within days of picking up mine. Any recalls?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grinding ????

My Pilot with 6000 miles makes a sharp rattle or knocking sound when accellerating, under moderate or greater load, between 2300 and 3000 RPM. I've had it to the dealer 3 times for this (and other things) and they tried to tell me it was inhearant to v-6 engines... I wouldn't buy that, so they told me they didn't know the cause and couldn't fix it....

To me it sounds like a vale lifter or something.... Piston / valve contact? -- wouldn't have lasted this long if that were the case.

curious, slightly worried...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Grinding ????

A320Pilot said:
My Pilot with 6000 miles makes a sharp rattle or knocking sound when accellerating, under moderate or greater load, between 2300 and 3000 RPM. I've had it to the dealer 3 times for this (and other things) and they tried to tell me it was inhearant to v-6 engines... I wouldn't buy that, so they told me they didn't know the cause and couldn't fix it....

To me it sounds like a vale lifter or something.... Piston / valve contact? -- wouldn't have lasted this long if that were the case.

curious, slightly worried...
Have you performed the "throttle cable bracket" fix yet? You can find out about it here, http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=24047#post24047 If your Pilot still makes the same sound after, it sounds as though you and I have the exact same problem.

I'm really at a loss with this noise. I've tried different brands of gas, and premium more than a few times and I still get the noise. I even had the technician sit in the car with me when we went for a drive and even he drove the car himself and even as the sound was being reproduced right there then, he told me that he didn't hear anything unusual.

I'm just at a loss with this noise. Occassionally, the subtle pinging turns into a rather noticeable crackle and I let go of the gas right away, for fears of doing some realy big damage. I'm thinking of taking a test drive with another Pilot or two at the dealer to see if I can hear the same noise on those Pilots to see what I can find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Solved! I think.

OK. I did the throttle cable bracket bend -- and no more rattle/tap-tap/knock noise!

For now, I think the problem is solved. I'll still bring it to the dealer at the appointed time and show them what I did, with 'your' help, and what their shop forman could not figure out in 3 visits.... Need an oil change anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Gang,

I just experienced the same problem with my Pilot when it reached 10,000 miles. My wife noticed the noise at first, and I am very proud of her in bringing it to my attention!:)

Took it to our local dealer in Cary NC, and the service manager immediately diagnosed it as the hydraulic timing belt tensioner. He said do not drive it until we fix it ASAP!! He also mentioned that he has seen this in other Pilots but not in any Odyssey's?? I think that is strange since they use the same 3.5 liter V-6 and build them in the same plant in Canada!

They did not have the part in house and it took them 2 days to get it and replace it all under warranty. They also had to replace the water pump since it was making noises as well. My last 4 digits of my VIN is 2001, so mine was an early production run.

:confused:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cary03Pilot said:
Hey Gang,

I just experienced the same problem with my Pilot when it reached 10,000 miles. My wife noticed the noise at first, and I am very proud of her in bringing it to my attention!:)

Took it to our local dealer in Cary NC, and the service manager immediately diagnosed it as the hydraulic timing belt tensioner. He said do not drive it until we fix it ASAP!! He also mentioned that he has seen this in other Pilots but not in any Odyssey's?? I think that is strange since they use the same 3.5 liter V-6 and build them in the same plant in Canada!

They did not have the part in house and it took them 2 days to get it and replace it all under warranty. They also had to replace the water pump since it was making noises as well. My last 4 digits of my VIN is 2001, so mine was an early production run.

Yep, looks like you were part of the water pump and timing belt recall.. Great that your wife caught it, or else could have been bad! Why did Honda not send you a letter? I would ask them this..

rob

:confused:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Cary03Pilot,

I'm glad that your dealer spotted the problem right away for you and is working to resolve the problem. So, was the noise your wife described indeed the pinging/tapping noise, especially noticeable above 2K RPM and more so if you're stepping on the accelerator a bit harder than usual?

·
Registered
10 Posts
RipRock,

"So, was the noise your wife described indeed the pinging/tapping noise, especially noticeable above 2K RPM and more so if you're stepping on the accelerator a bit harder than usual?"

The description above says it all! If you are hearing this please have your dealer inspect ASAP!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Cary03Pilot said:
RipRock,

"So, was the noise your wife described indeed the pinging/tapping noise, especially noticeable above 2K RPM and more so if you're stepping on the accelerator a bit harder than usual?"

The description above says it all! If you are hearing this please have your dealer inspect ASAP!
Thanks for your timely answer, Cary03Pilot. Will do. I just hope I haven't sustained any valve leak problems from this, IF I do have the hydraulic timing belt tensioner problem.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Flooder Noise?

I called up my dealer today to arrange for another appointment to bring my Pilot in to have the timing belt and its components checked out (I had to cancel the last one I had due to work). My request was the same as the last, which was that I'll pay to have it inspected and if there's something wrong, then it'll be a warranty issue.

The advisor mentioned that he's had a couple of Oddy owners complain of the samethings and turned out, after a testdrive, it was the flooder noise. He told me that the technicians who went along for the drive spotted it right away and that that's probably what I'm hearing. He went onto say that the flooder noise is something normal with the V-6 engines in Honda cars.

He still did encourage me to bring my Pilot in for another testdrive though (I already had a technician go for a drive with me during which he said that he didn't hear anything unusual), just to be sure.

I made the appointment well into next week since we're getting all this snow, yes, snow!!! and the roads are very mushy and there's alot of splashy road noise which is making the pinging/tapping noise kind of hard to hear right now. It was never loud in the first place, but still, definitely there.

But anyone ever heard of this "flooder noise" before? If so, what exactly causes it? Anything to be concerned about at all?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts