Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit over 8000 milks on my pilot so far and have had this odd no start problem 4 times so far. The 2nd time it happened I called the dealer and they suggested Dry Gas becaue the tech swore it was water in the gas. I usually get Mobil but from tyime to time I settle on Speedway and Sunoco. Anyways it probem went away even before I used the Dry Gas solution. Well, I think its all cleared up and with no warning it happens again. It take 2-3..4 cranks beforet he thing starts. I think its a fluke and for a couple months it does no happen.

The wife and mother in law take the kid to see the GrandParents in NC from MI and wouldn't ya know it the dang thing fails again! I will be scolding the dealer in the morning but has anyone figured out what this issues is and what's causing it? I read a lot of the post but it looks like no solid resolution has come from this problem.

My family is in NC for another couple days and Honda had better get this fixed or the local dealer will have this thing sitting back on his lot as a LEMON! This is not just annoying it's dangerous!!!!:3:

·
Registered
199 Posts
There's LOTS of posts on this problem. Look in the Problems forum and go to any of the threads that discuss the starting problem. No one has figured it out; dealers all over the country have tried a dozen different fixes but none have worked so far. The official answer from Honda is to live with it. The list of all the things tried, the letter to Honda from some Honda-Pilot forum members, and answers from Honda are all posted in the threads mentioned above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Birdman but I already mentioned that I read the post before adding my own. It seems like the issue is still an active one, which pretty much puts me in the frame of mind that the next time this happens I will be driving something else! Oh well!:mad:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ttextreme said:
. . . . . the next time this happens I will be driving something else! Oh well!:mad:
I chalk it up to a minor inconvenience cause by the search for greater MPG and/or lower emissions.

I am guessing that under some set of conditions the ECU makes a momentary miscalculation on the fuel mixture needed to start the engine. Once that happens it takes a few cranks to recover.
From my experience here it always recovers and has not left anyone stranded. A few have felt it got better with age, (probably due to the ECU learning). Others have related it to the transition between winter and summer fuel.
As for me, we have had it a few times (guessing 5, wife drive the Pilot) in 20,000 miles. Only once took a third crank.

One note, if the first crank does not start, make sure the second is longer! (Up to 15 seconds)

·
Registered
991 Posts
N_Jay said:

I chalk it up to a minor inconvenience cause by the search for greater MPG and/or lower emissions.

I am guessing that under some set of conditions the ECU makes a momentary miscalculation on the fuel mixture needed to start the engine. Once that happens it takes a few cranks to recover.
From my experience here it always recovers and has not left anyone stranded. A few have felt it got better with age, (probably due to the ECU learning). Others have related it to the transition between winter and summer fuel.
As for me, we have had it a few times (guessing 5, wife drive the Pilot) in 20,000 miles. Only once took a third crank.

One note, if the first crank does not start, make sure the second is longer! (Up to 15 seconds)
I never thought of it that way but this makes the most sense... Now to get Honda to own up to it!!!

I have never been stranded yet either, It always starts on the second try, funny thing is it has been starting on the first try for over 5 months, go figure....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I got in touch with the dealership and had the Pilot towed in. The problems was not related to fuel at all but the imoblelizer system. This bad unit didn't recognize the chip in the key. Its up and running now so I am going to keep an eye on this part for a while and hopefully nothing stops working again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts