Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently gave my 06 pilot in for an oil change only to get a call saying that after changing the oil they couldn't start the car.
They directed me to reach out to someone who specializes in programming keys as they suspected something went wrong with my key, that was triggering the immobilizer.

I went down there with another key to see for myself and realized that it did sound like the empty cranks you get when using an bad key, however none of my keys which i knew to be good would work.
I tried looking out for the Green key icon to see if it would indicate a good key (one or two blinks) or a bad key (continuous blinking)
I realized that the icon didn't com on at all.

After some reading around here I decided to sounds like the main relay had some bad solder joints, however given it's location i realized it would not be practical to try to fix it while at the mechanic, and so i needed to get it back in my driveway.

Ultimately this is what it took to get my car started

One well placed smack to the dashboard, just to the left of the steering wheel, right around where the cabin light and vsa buttons are, after that the green light came on and off we went

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to add that this is not the first time this forum has saved me from costly repairs, I still can't get over the time I was quoted close to 2K for a heater core when all i needed was this
So a big thanks to all the members on here who keep sharing their knowledge and experience

Also i started a new thread and didn't post in one of the other threads dealing with engines cranking but not starting because while those might mention the PGM-FI none mention the specific symptom of the immobilizer lamp not lighting up. I was hoping that by giving it it's own thread, the next person having the issue would find it easily.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Glad you got out of that pickle. :)

Reminds me of my '64 Valiant. Headlight went out, whack it. Crank but no start? Stick a free Texaco screwdriver in the carburetor and off we go. Ah, simpler times.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
One well placed smack to the dashboard, just to the left of the steering wheel, right around where the cabin light and vsa buttons are, after that the green light came on and off we went
Until it does it again. Been there done that. Find the relay which is faulty, pay $20 for the replacement, can call it a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until it does it again. Been there done that. Find the relay which is faulty, pay $20 for the replacement, can call it a day.
I'll probably try and just fix it as seen here

I wonder thought about the potential for the car stalling, as some others have experienced with intermittent relay issues.
I assume that those issues were related to the fuel injector so if the relay crapped out while driving the car would die.
Whereas my issue is related to the immobilizer which from i understand only runs on startup so once it is running i should have no risk of stalling

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'll probably try and just fix it as seen here
Sounds like a plan we'd love to see pictures posted of, including exact main relay location, to help others in the future. So along with your tools and soldering iron, use your camera, too. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts