Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we're starting a little 3-week odyssey this weekend--driving from New Hampshire to Chicago to Texas and then back to NH. So all of you Piloteers out there better wave when you see us! This should give us a chance to really road test it as I only have 1300 miles on it so far!

I actually do have a question though--all of our other Hondas have recommended an oil change at the first 1000 miles. The Pilot manual states 7500, if I remember correctly. With the mongo road trip in mind (and the extended interstate cruising), should I still stick with this? I'm inclined to follow the manual, but was wondering on the consensus here.

oh....did I mention we have a 6-yr old and a 7-yr old? what fun we're gonna have!
:2:

·
Registered
240 Posts
WOW!:D Best of luck in your travels. My wife and I will be taking the Pilot on our extended vacation as well. In September, we will drive from New Bern to Knoxville, Tennessee and then from Knoxville to Atlanta, Georgia. Then again from Atlanta to Orlando, Florida. Then again from Orlando to Miami!:eek: :p :p Then finally from Miami to New Bern!

All this in the Pilot while it tows the S2000!:p ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
First oil change (long)

Aggie Piloteer said:
I actually do have a question though--all of our other Hondas have recommended an oil change at the first 1000 miles. The Pilot manual states 7500, if I remember correctly. With the mongo road trip in mind (and the extended interstate cruising), should I still stick with this? I'm inclined to follow the manual, but was wondering on the consensus here.
Aggie,
There has been a lot of debate on this issue and it seems to have boiled down to two camps:
1) These are the Type A personalities... those that come from the old school who believe that breaking in the engine requires that the piston rings seat or wear down to conform to the cylinder walls in order to make a perfect seal. This wear period, usually the first 500-1000 miles generates a significant about of metallic particles suspended in the oil. This is good! It provides an abrasive for the rings to seat quickly. But, you don't want it in there for too long.

So, this camp believes it is best to change your oil around the 1000 mi. mark and again at the 3000 mi. mark, then normally thereafter. Also, not to use synthetics for the first 10K mi or so as they can prevent some of the fine wear that makes all of the parts (bearings, rings, various friction points...) fit perfectly.

2) These are the Type B personalities... this is the new-age camp that believes technology has surpassed the belief that the parts need a good break-in period because they were made nearly perfect at the factory. And with modern filters and oils, little to no wear is generated anyway. So they just drive, change the oil when when book says so and don't worry.

A subgroup of Camp 2 also believes that engine manufacturers now put in a special break-in oil that is designed to quickly break-in the engine, and for that to be effective it must be left in the engine for at least 3000 mi. After that you can put in anything you want, including synthetics.

IMHO, I don't know what to believe. I come from Camp 1 as I used to build engines in college for beer money. But that was 12 years ago and I working on classic engines. Part of me wants to believe Camp 2 because the technology in engine manufacturing has advanced so much, especially in the areas of lubricants.

One thing I can tell you, if a dealer tells you something, you can probably drive to the next dealer and they will tell you something completely different. So I would take their opinions with a grain of salt.

When my mother-in-law bought her 98 Accord, the service manager gave her a coupon to have the oil changed for free at 1500 mi. He told her it was best to get the "dirty oil out early". But that dealer changed ownership about a month later and she decided to take it to another dealer who refused to change the oil before 3000 mi. Told her changing it early would ruin the engine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
From the Honda Ownerlink:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Stick with the manual

To reiterate, there are additives in the crankcase to aid in proper break-in which will prolong the engine longevity. Trust the Honda engineers, they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My same post in the other thread...

if you follow the severe conditions schedule (as I have always done with my hondas) the first change happens at 3750.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks everyone, for confirming what I suspected.....I will leave it alone at least until 3750. We tend to follow the severe schedule up here too.

Happy Trails!

:4:

BTW, about 2 minutes after I posted the original question, I found the "Maintenance section" that was more appropriate. Duh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts