Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to own a 2009 pilot ex-l from my grandma. It has 200k miles on it and has always been serviced at the dealer. It had a timing belt replaced at 110. What are things to expect? From what I have found, it's a 300k mile engine. I'm coming from a 1999 tahoe getting 12mpg at best. Should I expect to see over 20mpg?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
We get 16 mpg. I can get as high as 20 on long trips. My wife just does a lot of short trips all over town.

With 200k you will be due for a timing belt again.

If you want to see my write-up on this year model for maintenance items and defects:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it will need the timing belt replaced soon. It looks like they charged her around $500 back at the first replacement. Does this sound right?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
So it will need the timing belt replaced soon. It looks like they charged her around $500 back at the first replacement. Does this sound right?
That would be one hell of a deal. Lowest cost for a timing belt job (not replacing the tensioner or water pump) is usually around $600-$700. You should generally replace the tensioner and water pump, otherwise you might have to pay again for the entire service, and those generally require all the labor all over again (technically you can replace the tensioner without removing everything but not all shops will do this.) A typical cost for TB, pulleys, tensioner, and water pump runs around $1000 to $1700 depending on where you take it. Sometimes the dealerships have specials or coupons. If you have one or more Honda dealers, you can call their service departments and ask them if they have any specials for the TB. I recommend OEM parts at the dealer, or use the AISIN kit (has all the parts) if you have a trusted mechanic that can save you enough to matter.

Again, this is all in the link i posted above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I paid a little $1000 inclusive of tensioner and water pump...this was at the dealer but my local Honda-specific repair shop quoted the same. My dealer had a coupon posted on website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts