Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want my Pilot with leather, thus leaving me without the option to purchase the GPS system from Honda, which I really like. So I have been doing a lot of research and found that the next best thing is the Garmin Streetpilot III deluxe (yep it even has our name). Now the retail price and what most stores are selling it for is $999.00, but I have found an electronics store that will sell it for $728.00 with full unlock code for all the maps.

My question is, has anyone used this system or know someone that has it. Most of the reviews that I have read are all pretty good, with nearly nothing really bad to say about the system. If anyone has another system or suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it.

LINK TO PRODUCT: http://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have it a week

I have a Garmin Streetpilot III for a week and decided to return it. Because it too small to read, not enough space to upload data from cross states. I went back and got CoPilot from www.travroute.com for my laptop instead.

:cool: 2003 Pilot SS EX-L RES,Fog Lights with Lower Trim,Crossbars for Roof Rails,Half Nose Mask,Rear Splash Guards,Running Boards,Rear Back-Up Sensors,Wheel Locks,Auto Day/Night Mirror,Wood-Grain Trim Panel—All Interior Trim,EX Emblem, VTEC Emblem,Gold Exhaust Finishers,AutoShade Ventvisor,Fender Flare, Signal Mirror, Co-Pilot GPS, Bi-Xenon HID

·
Registered
138 Posts
FLPilot - Do a search and you will find all kinds of info and opinions about the Garmin Street Pilot. Personally, I have the Honda Nav and I love it! Then again, I also like the leather seats too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista. It is smaller than the Street versions. I use it mainly for marking my car when we go on long hikes. There is a car mount for it I am planning on getting in the near fututre.

I've used the Vista on a couple trips just setting it on my dash and it works petty well. If you live in a city I could see the display being to small.

The best part of having a GPS w/ maps is when there is a wreck or somethig stopping traffic ahead of you. Just fire it up and hit the back roads.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
GPS

FLPilot,
I use the Garmin GPS V on my motorcycle and LOVE it. Eventually I would like to get the SP III (for the Pilot) as it offers everything the GPS V has plus color, larger display and larger memory. The greatest feature of the V and the SP III is the autorouting. Once you use it, you will never settle for anything less.

As for pricing, the best prices I have found are at www.tvnav.com.
Good people to deal with!! You must call them for the best price (less than what is shown on their website).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
FLPilot said:
So I have been doing a lot of research and found that the next best thing is the Garmin Streetpilot III deluxe (yep it even has our name).

If anyone has another system or suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it.
In addition to doing a search here, there is even more good info on our sister site www.acuramdx.com

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will be going with this unit even though it might not be as big as my laptop screen. I thought about it and I hate lugging around the laptop now and I only do it a few times a week. Thanks for the info on that company colorider. I called them and they said the best they could do was $760.00

I found a guy that owns an electronic store and sells them on ebay for $728.00 He is registered as an authorized dealer with Garmin. I asked him to give me a better price on two or more so I should have some info on that in a few days. Also a little birdie told me that there might be a $100 rebate through Garmin starting on April 6th. I will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GPS

The Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe is very user friendly to anyone computer-savvy enough to be reading these posts. Been using it for about 9 months - it has proven to be extremely useful when navigating unfamiliar territory or when trying to find specific addresses. We find the color display very easy to read, and the voice prompts ("Exit right in 1.3 miles", "Exit right in .5 miles", "Take ramp right") are unambiguous. The memory is finite: the included memory card allows you to use your PC to select and then download (from the included CD) roadmap data on which sections of the country to which you want to have access. It covers a lot of territory: based in San Diego, we routinely keep maps for all of CA, AZ, NV, UT, NM and about 1/2 of TX and CO. I suppose if you expect to circumnavigate the US you'd need to either buy another few memory cards or bring your CD/USB-equipped laptop (of course you would want the laptop to keep current with honda-pilot.org). The SPIII is obviously portable and transitions immediately to other vehicles. We did a net search and also found it for about $728 - there's no reason to pay the $999 list price.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes we too have a Garmin StreetPilot III. Since Christmas. Love it.

It has complete maps including all of the state of Kentucky which the NAV system built-in to the Pilot did not have. (Plus the kids wanted the RES).

Hey BillR long time no hear. Nice to 'see' you again

·
Registered
900 Posts
My kids like to point out that we use the StreetPilot in the Pilot and I also have a Palm Pilot. I think I have a pen called a Pilot too... too bad I am not a airline Pilot...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion also going on in this thread:
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1295

Regarding comparing builtin NAV to a portable unit like the SP3,
Yes the Integrated NAV would be nice. I would not have to reach all the way to the dashboard to touch a button, and the integrated NAV's screen is larger. Also I don't like to leave it on the dashboard when parked, as it's a theft invitation. So I'm constantly putting it up and down. But yes the Garmin StreetPilot is very easy to update - and flexible. Just download the updates and use USB attachment to update the memory card.

·
Registered
120 Posts
To follow up on the Street Pilot. I looked at the unit Bill posted and noted it has a 64 MB transfer device, while the StreetPilot has 128 MB. While this doesn't even come close to the DVD based systems, it does allow for a lot. We have all of KY stored in the unit, the I-75 Corridor and most of Florida. The built in memory contains all the major highways of the United States. The download is only for the detailed information, including points of interest, restaurants, etc. Finally all the maps are on one CD. We are planning a trip out west and will be taking the CD and a laptop along so that we can update the unit as we move around. A nuisance for some, but pure pleasure for a geek. Transfer rate is painfully slow if you use the serial cable, but not too bad over USB. About 10 minutes if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
havasu said:
My kids like to point out that we use the StreetPilot in the Pilot and I also have a Palm Pilot. I think I have a pen called a Pilot too... too bad I am not a airline Pilot...
Were you watching the Seinfeld sitcom pilot episode on the RES??? I had the Passport radar detector in my Honda Passport on my way to mail my U.S. Passport application (honestly)!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pilots

Seinfeld no, we never caught on with him. But maybe the Pilot for Northern Exposure, Ed or West Wing. Hey, do you suppose the could find a pilot for The Lone Ranger? Now that would be something. Just curious, are you old enough to remember those shows from your childhood? I am. I used to have to take a nap, on Tuesdays, I think, in order to stay up and watch "The Bounty Hunter" with Steve McQueen, and "The Rifleman with Chuck Conners. The other guys came on during the day so I was able to watch all of them as well. Your avatar always reminds me of those old shows.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts