Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Piloteers,

Ahh, it feels good to be able to say that at last. :2:

We took delivery of our new Evergreen EX-L RES two weeks ago.
As we mentioned in an earlier thread, we took bids from a bunch of dealers and Faulkner Honda of Harrisburg, PA was the winner-- at $500 under MSRP. Yowza !

File this under the heading "No Kidding":
I can't tell you what a move-up the Pilot is from a Jeep Cherokee Sport (the "boxy" old Jeep that's been taken out of production). With the exception of low-range 4WD gearing, everying about the Pilot beats Mrs. BlackLion's Jeep, hands down.
Duly filed.

Some comments from us new Pilot owners:

* Smoooooooth, quiet, yet gutsy, engine and drivetrain.
* Comfy seats, nice instrument cluster.
* When closing the doors, instead of a metallic "clunk" you get a reassuring "whump" noise. Sounds like you're closing an encyclopaedia in a library reading room.
* Despite all the snow here in DC, we have had only limited experience driving the Pilot in the white stuff. We've only had to manually lock-in the 4WD once-- while backing-out of a partially plowed-in parking spot.
* Storage room, galore. The thing feels as wide as a ballroom.
* Rear storage "locker" is great for keeping umbrellas, ice-scrapers, shovels, etc. out of the way but handy. Shovel ? Yep. Can you say "another 4-8 inches for the DC area" ?
* Love the extra lower trim that came with the foglights ! It's a great addition to the Pilot's frontal appearance that a lot of you folks unfortunately don't have.

Now . . . some perhaps-negative comments / questions:

* Where do we find the key-code strip that should have come with the 3 sets of keys ?
* Don't like the map-storage options. We have a slew of those large, red-cover state "gazetteers" and equivalent-sized local atlases. Those just don't fit nicely in the doorwells or seat-back pockets. Suggestions, anyone ?
* Mrs. BlackLion dislikes the location of the power doorlock switch on the inside vertical of the door. She prefers her Jeep's location for that switch-- on the door armrest.
* Rear hatch has to be closed with some heft. (one more for the "No Kidding" file) Actually, having gotten used to slamming the Pilot's hatch, subconsciously (over)applying the same effort on the Jeep's rear hatch will startle the h--- out of you.
* Pilot's rear hatch doesn't open as high as I would like. At least with the Jeep's hatch I didn't have to duck slightly.
* Front seat headrests are hard as a rock. Is this perhaps a safety issue in an accident ? You MDs out there can sponsor the "whiplash vs. rear-cranial concussion" debate.

Don't worry; these negatives are all just piddly-stuff. We love this Pilot !

We would like to find that key-code strip, however . . . .

A year ago I had my heart set on getting an MDX. Now, I've got everything that's good about the MDX and $8-large in savings to boot !

And to think that we even *considered* getting a Highlander, or an Envoy, or a TrailBlazer . . .

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
BlackLion,

I've enjoyed reading your thoughtful posts the past few months in your quest for a Pilot. I have to agree with your comments since I went from Jeep Cherokee to Jeep Grand Cherokee to Pilot, especially about the huge interior (although I still have the Jeep GC).

When you take the family on a long trip, anyone sitting in the second row will thank you for the upgrade - that second row in the Jeep can be a pain in the back.

If you can't find your keycode with your paperwork, call your original Dealer, they should have it and the radio code in their database or they can get it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blacklion -

I'm totally with you. I went from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to a Jeep Cherokee Sport to a Pilot EX. I hated that Sport from the second week I owned it, through the next 36 months until I gleefully dumped it off back at the dealer.

Compared to the Sport, the Pilot is a luxury ride like no other - the spacious interior (#1 concern for me, being 6'3" and 250 lbs), the smooth ride, the almost non-existant road noise, the quality of the stock audio .... the list goes on and on. The amazing thing, I think at the end of the day, I'm only paying about $50 more a month to drive the Pilot.

I've always liked Honda's porducts, particularly the Accord (which my wife drives), but was always suspicious about their SUVs because I labored under the misimpression that they were either underpowered or too small for a big guy like me .... boy did Pilot prove me wrong.

Enjoy driving again - I know I do !

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
BlackLion said:
Fellow Piloteers,

* Where do we find the key-code strip that should have come with the 3 sets of keys ?

* Pilot's rear hatch doesn't open as high as I would like. At least with the Jeep's hatch I didn't have to duck slightly.

Great you got the best vehicle out there:2: :2:

The dealer should have given you the key-code strip. Go back and ask for it.

The rear hatch in my pilot opens all teh way up. Not sure why you have you duck...check on another pilot..maybe on the dealers lot when you go for the key thingy

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Re: Got our Pilot ! -- we have some comments

ramirami said:
The rear hatch in my pilot opens all the way up. Not sure why you have you duck...check on another pilot..maybe on the dealers lot when you go for the key thingy
Won't hurt to check for a malfunction, but I think BlackLion is right. Compared to the tailgate on the Jeep, the Pilot doesn't swing up as far. And if your over 6' and own both, you'll notice the difference. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Got our Pilot ! -- we have some comments

tim.s said:
Compared to the tailgate on the Jeep, the Pilot doesn't swing up as far. And if your over 6' and own both, you'll notice the difference. ;)
He is right. The Jeep rear hatch swung above the horizon of the vehicle roof ... the Pilot's does not. It requires a little ducking compared to the Jeep. Not a big issue, and given the amount of force required to shut the hatch, I almost prefer the way the Pilot has it (though I did bump my head a few times the first week).

·
Registered
276 Posts
BlackLion said:
We took delivery of our new Evergreen EX-L RES two weeks ago.

YES! Finally, another Evergreen Piloteer! :D :rolleyes:

We are the last of a dying breed......I hear this color is being discontinued soon.

Do you have the gold package? I was thinking of adding the fog lights to mine as well (do you also have the front "bumper" on yours?)....do you have a picture you could post here so that I can judge?

Check out mine:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts