Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
about 2 weeks ago I got my fuel injectors done in my Pilot because of the dreaded emissions system problem...well guess what happens today, yep you guessed it, lights back on!! I tried to call the dealership and service had closed 30 minutes prior. I took it to my Auto Zone and they broke out their brand new code reader and sure enough same exact code. I am furious. I've had my car not even 2 months, just took my 45 day tags off last week... I hope Monday someone is ready to make this right because my thoughts on Honda right now are not to great.
The injectors are replaced as kit which includes all 6 injectors and some other necessary parts, so they should have all been replaced. There is also a software update for the PCM which corrects erratic emissions warnings due to the P0420 and P0430 codes. Although rare, it is also possible that one or more of the new injectors are faulty. I am sure your service department will figure it out.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD Black
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The injectors are replaced as kit which includes all 6 injectors and some other necessary parts, so they should have all been replaced. There is also a software update for the PCM which corrects erratic emissions warnings due to the P0420 and P0430 codes. Although rare, it is also possible that one or more of the new injectors are faulty. I am sure your service department will figure it out.
Maybe the update wasn't done... who knows?

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
The fuel rail is re-used but the fuel feed line needs to be replaced due to the one time crush/style washer inside.
I thought the same, but there is no crush washer in this conection. Must be another reason they recommend replacing the pipes.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
I thought the same, but there is no crush washer in this conection. Must be another reason they recommend replacing the pipes.
View attachment 148610
View attachment 148612
Anytime there is fuel connection, especially at high pressures, Honda recommends new parts and I am sure it is more of a liability issue than anything else. IMO if you are disconnecting a line and installing it back the same way, it can be reused as long as it is not damaged during the removal process. You do a leak check on the connections after assembly anyway. The guy on the video clip that was posted a while back, reused his fuel pipe and had no leaks afterwards. If it was a huge concern, you would be replacing the fuel rails and the pipe and also the connector to the HP fuel pump so that both ends of the connectors are new. Pretty expensive part to be thrown away.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Anytime there is fuel connection, especially at high pressures, Honda recommends new parts and I am sure it is more of a liability issue than anything else. IMO if you are disconnecting a line and installing it back the same way, it can be reused as long as it is not damaged during the removal process. You do a leak check on the connections after assembly anyway. The guy on the video clip that was posted a while back, reused his fuel pipe and had no leaks afterwards. If it was a huge concern, you would be replacing the fuel rails and the pipe and also the connector to the HP fuel pump so that both ends of the connectors are new. Pretty expensive part to be thrown away.
Yep. I replaced because it was recommended. Last thing I needed was to do all that work only to have a leak issue. The polyethylene glycol lubricant came with the new pipes. I would have not known to lubricate the mating conections and the threads if I had not ordered this part new.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
He said this has never happened to him before.
When I hear that, it's either they are Green as ever and it's honest, OR- it's classic replies coached and taught from any company to say to try and de-escalate things.

Uh-Oh. Typical. Possibly find another service writer/tech?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
When I hear that, it's either they are Green as ever and it's honest, OR- it's classic replies coached and taught from any company to say to try and de-escalate things.

They still haven't called back so I may be escalating this to either another dealership or someone higher up

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
248 Posts
They still haven't called back so I may be escalating this to either another dealership or someone higher up
Just take it to them and tell them to fix it. They will probably not call you back.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Sometimes they're just honest. I had a service writer tell me that he wouldn't recommend having one of their techs troubleshoot a rattle, because they'll cause other issues. I haven't been back to that particular shop.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not you Raven, but FWIW I took my Pilot to another Honda dealer 60 miles away after my local dealer claimed twice that that a fuel pump chirp was "normal" engine noise ... even after I showed him a TSB on the problem. When he played dumb a 2nd time regarding a rear tire wear TSB on my CRV, I made the 60 mile drive again where the issue was fixed correctly without any hassle. Good luck. Hope you don't have to resort to the same option I did and yours was an understandable mistake that gets fixed soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm not you Raven, but FWIW I took my Pilot to another Honda dealer 60 miles away after my local dealer claimed twice that that a fuel pump chirp was "normal" engine noise ... even after I showed him a TSB on the problem. When he played dumb a 2nd time regarding a rear tire wear TSB on my CRV, I made the 60 mile drive again where the issue was fixed correctly without any hassle. Good luck. Hope you don't have to resort to the same option I did and yours was an understandable mistake that gets fixed soon.
I'm trying to give them a chance to make it right however here we are another day with no call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
about 2 weeks ago I got my fuel injectors done in my Pilot because of the dreaded emissions system problem...well guess what happens today, yep you guessed it, lights back on!! I tried to call the dealership and service had closed 30 minutes prior. I took it to my Auto Zone and they broke out their brand new code reader and sure enough same exact code. I am furious. I've had my car not even 2 months, just took my 45 day tags off last week... I hope Monday someone is ready to make this right because my thoughts on Honda right now are not to great.
Welcome to the Earth Dreams I-VTEC V-6 Direct Injection Technology! I have a 2016 Touring Pilot and at 80k got the dreaded emissions fault. Dealer replaced the fuel injectors from carbon build up. Luckily this was covered under warranty. After that Honda realized their is an issue and has extended the warranty period. Unfortunately this will be a problem in the future.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts