Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heated steering wheel was part of the deal when I purchased my 2019 Pilot. The EX-L doesn't come with the HSW, but is available as a dealer installed option. Took the tech about 5 hours to do the install, as I guess that was the first one he had done. Another tech at the dealership supposedly had done several(Odyssey & Pilot are similar), but was off today. The end result was fine & I drove away happy with warm fingers!!
Funny, I had done a HSW on my 2018 Odyssey myself & it took 2 hours. The Odyssey even has an extra step that the Pilot does not have - shift paddles. If anyone is thinking about doing it yourself, take pictures during the disassembly & be aware that it will still have to make a trip to the dealer to have the steering position sensor calibrated. When I did the Odyssey myself, the dealer only charged me $40+tax for the calibration.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have also been considering this for my 2017 EX-L. My question is was the $500 (parts and labor) worth 90 seconds of heat? I am told by others on here that the dealer accessory add on provides only 90 seconds of heat and then it shuts off, whereas on the Elite and Touring models (with built in HSW) lasts much longer.

Just trying to justify the price. Thought about doing it myself but the install PDF is something like 56 steps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have also been considering this for my 2017 EX-L. My question is was the $500 (parts and labor) worth 90 seconds of heat? I am told by others on here that the dealer accessory add on provides only 90 seconds of heat and then it shuts off, whereas on the Elite and Touring models (with built in HSW) lasts much longer.

Just trying to justify the price. Thought about doing it myself but the install PDF is something like 56 steps.

Nope, mine stays on until you turn it off or you turn the car off. If any owner's HSW is shutting off after 90 seconds, then it's not installed correctly. There are two part numbers for the switch only, depending if the switch plastic is piano black(glossy), or graphite(flat black).

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wonder if they improved the design for 2019. You've got a newer steering wheel than what I would get for my 2017.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wonder if they improved the design for 2019. You've got a newer steering wheel than what I would get for my 2017.

I know the appearance of the 2019 wheel is significantly different from previous years. Other than that, I have no clue. But I would investigate it thoroughly before I'd believe anything written on an automotive forum. If the control unit is the same part number as the the Elite, then it would have to function the same. I swear, some of these posters must work as salespeople for Toyota!
Edit: that remark about Toyota salespeople was not intended for you, Jmiller, just some unnamed posters.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Owners that have a 2016-2018 heated steering wheel installed care to comment on duration of heat? I thought someone on here had one installed and timed it with a stopwatch and it was only 90 seconds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I own a 2017 EX-L with a heated steering wheel, it stays on until I turn it off. It was standard on my model in Canada.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Going to keep an eye on this thread for 2019 installation of the heated steering wheel...Not sure i $500 is worth it...but I love mine on my GMC Sierra...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to keep an eye on this thread for 2019 installation of the heated steering wheel...Not sure i $500 is worth it...but I love mine on my GMC Sierra...
I wish it was a little cheaper, but still well worth it to me. I've seen them on Ebay from a wrecked Elite, but be very cautious as the Ebay seller probably won't include the all the additional parts required. And you still have to visit the dealer to have the steering position sensor calibrated. I did the HSW on my Odyssey myself & took 2 hours, and dealer charged me $40 to calibrate the steering position sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts