Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kind of. Instead of getting a bonus this year, boss offered me this 2004 Pilot EXL. It was originally from California and imported here up north. It’s got 150k miles, with a whole bunch of issues.

First week I fixed all the random issues to pass the safety inspection. Then started the maintenance items. Oil, ATF, and VTM4, filters, etc.
And of course, the timing belt and water pump. The belt was original and never been changed! Since lurking this sub, I naturally stopped driving it and parked it in my garage. Being a mechanic noob, and just changed oils before, this job was way too intimidating for me at first. Quotes around me were 2k CAD from the dealer and around 1.5k from independent mechanics. Being a cheap ass, I started doing research for a week watching all the YouTube videos and read every single post on the big O’ t-belt on this sub. After 2 days of working on it after work plus a whole weekend, I finally did it! Put in the Aisin kit, a new drive belt tensioner, and new AC/ power steering belts.
Just drove it around and block for an hour and it runs pretty well, so I think I didn’t mess it up haha.

Next on my list: power steering fluid, transfer case fluid, and brake fluids.

Anyway, just want to say hi to y’all and happy to join the club

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Well kind of. Instead of getting a bonus this year, boss offered me this 2004 Pilot EXL. It was originally from California and imported here up north. It’s got 150k miles, with a whole bunch of issues.

First week I fixed all the random issues to pass the safety inspection. Then started the maintenance items. Oil, ATF, and VTM4, filters, etc.
And of course, the timing belt and water pump. The belt was original and never been changed! Since lurking this sub, I naturally stopped driving it and parked it in my garage. Being a mechanic noob, and just changed oils before, this job was way too intimidating for me at first. Quotes around me were 2k CAD from the dealer and around 1.5k from independent mechanics. Being a cheap ass, I started doing research for a week watching all the YouTube videos and read every single post on the big O’ t-belt on this sub. After 2 days of working on it after work plus a whole weekend, I finally did it! Put in the Aisin kit, a new drive belt tensioner, and new AC/ power steering belts.
Just drove it around and block for an hour and it runs pretty well, so I think I didn’t mess it up haha.

Next on my list: power steering fluid, transfer case fluid, and brake fluids.

Anyway, just want to say hi to y’all and happy to join the club View attachment 138075
New to this too buddy. No worries we'll become expert mechanics with our Pilots and our fellow Piloteers help! Welcome to the Pilot World!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Nice! Tackling a timing belt swap for your first big maintenance task is brave. I've never done one either, but I've spent the past 3 months taking everything else apart on this hunk of junk, so I'm getting brave enough to try it. There's so much good information on this site. Tons of threads from the past decade and a half, and knowledgeable folks who have saved my butt more times than I can count when getting my 04 back in great shape.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice job on changing the timing belt.

You won’t need to change the transfer case fluid since on 2003-05 Pilots it is shared with the tranny fluid which you recently changed.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! Tackling a timing belt swap for your first big maintenance task is brave. I've never done one either, but I've spent the past 3 months taking everything else apart on this hunk of junk, so I'm getting brave enough to try it. There's so much good information on this site. Tons of threads from the past decade and a half, and knowledgeable folks who have saved my butt more times than I can count when getting my 04 back in great shape.
Honestly, I probably wouldn’t attempt this on my daily driver. Being a free car and lots of time, what the hell.
Welcome to the forum. Nice job on changing the timing belt.

You won’t need to change the transfer case fluid since on 2003-05 Pilots it is shared with the tranny fluid which you recently changed.
On nice to hear! I’m kind of worn out anyway. Won’t be touching this pilot for a while.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Wish I had a boss like yours. :)

Good on you for timing belt, fluids, etc., but don't forget things that have to do with air. Check and change engine air filter and cabin air filter (bet you a smiley it really needs it, if it's even been done).

Get a new full size spare (it fits) if you still have the original donut spare. It's over a decade and a half old. At this point, it's about as useful as this from just as long ago. :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts

Check the VIN to make sure the airbags have been replaced.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
Honda Vin Recalls

Did you change the cabin air filter? That one often gets overlooked/neglected.

How old are the tires?

·
Registered
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
One of us didn't jump to the conclusion that it needs to be "checked AND changed."
Either way, it bears repeating.

It bears repeating either way.

:) :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the VIN to make sure the airbags have been replaced.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site
Honda Vin Recalls

Did you change the cabin air filter? That one often gets overlooked/neglected.

How old are the tires?
None of the recalls were done! I think this was imported before the recalls started. I called a local dealer and they didn’t know how to deal with this since the VIN is a US car and doesn’t show up in their Canada database. They have to contact Honda Canada.

yep changed the air and cabin filters.Yes they were gross. Unfortunately when I took off the air filter, the screws were so rusted they just snapped off. My local junkyard pilots all had the same issue. I put in some wood screws before I can find one.
The original donut is in such bad shape I just took it off. Hunting for a single full sized rim on local classifieds! honestly might need a new set of tires too. It’s got good threads but they were from 2013, a little old imo

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
None of the recalls were done! I think this was imported before the recalls started. I called a local dealer and they didn’t know how to deal with this since the VIN is a US car and doesn’t show up in their Canada database. They have to contact Honda Canada.
Let us know how Honda handles that matter.
How far away is the nearest US Honda dealer?

Unfortunately when I took off the air filter, the screws were so rusted they just snapped off. My local junkyard pilots all had the same issue. I put in some wood screws before I can find one.
The Honda P/N for those air filter housing screws is 90091-P36-000.
1992-2008 Honda Bolt-Washer (5X28) 90091-P36-000 | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts

honestly might need a new set of tires too. It’s got good threads but they were from 2013, a little old imo
Something to watch out for is cracks in the tread rubber down in between the tread blocks.
The two most recent sets of tires I had to replace (one Goodyear and the other Michelin) both developed this issue while there was still plenty of tread depth remaining.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Unfortunately when I took off the air filter, the screws were so rusted they just snapped off. My local junkyard pilots all had the same issue. I put in some wood screws before I can find one.
Picked up a set on Amazon a few months ago. Temporarily I would use some metric bolts rather than wood screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up a set on Amazon a few months ago. Temporarily I would use some metric bolts rather than wood screws.
Let us know how Honda handles that matter.
How far away is the nearest US Honda dealer?

The Honda P/N for those air filter housing screws is 90091-P36-000.
1992-2008 Honda Bolt-Washer (5X28) 90091-P36-000 | Majestic Honda Automotive Parts

Something to watch out for is cracks in the tread rubber down in between the tread blocks.
The two most recent sets of tires I had to replace (one Goodyear and the other Michelin) both developed this issue while there was still plenty of tread depth remaining.

Honda Canada will contact Honda US and get the appropriate info/parts etc. They will schedule an appointment soon. I'm a couple hours from US, but given the situation, I don't think border crossing will be easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts