Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 44K on my 2017 Touring. This is the second windshield chip. First resulted in a replaced windshield couple of years ago. Not sure bad luck or susceptible windshield.

My previous car, Avalon, was with me for around 100K. 600 miles round trip every few weeks, and never had a crack or a chip.

I know, I know, very small sample number, but can't help comparing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Around 44K on my 2017 Touring. This is the second windshield chip. First resulted in a replaced windshield couple of years ago. Not sure bad luck or susceptible windshield.

My previous car, Avalon, was with me for around 100K. 600 miles round trip every few weeks, and never had a crack or a chip.

I know, I know, very small sample number, but can't help comparing.
Mine hasn't chipped, but I have a lot of pin head size pits. It's really bad when facing into the sun. Went to my dealer & the svc mgr agreed with me that it was unusual and excessive for only 7000 miles. He elevated to the dist mgr, but he voted not to replace the windshield. If it continues to get worse, I might replace it at my cost. Wierd thing, I looked online for an OEM windshield, and although the EX-L, Touring & Elite all use the noise suppression glass, they all have different part numbers!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the windshield on my 19 EX-L replaced, with under 10K miles. It had a chip or 2 I knew I should take of, but it turned into a crack before I acted. The windshield was replaced by Safelite who did a great job. I was pretty worried with the camera on there but all turned out well. I had to bring the Pilot in to their shop to get the job done, because of the electronics. They did install a Honda windshield, and it seems that after being re-calibrated the lane keep assist works with fewer BRAKE warnings in curves when vehicles are in the oncoming lane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife's 2016 Pilot EX-L just got a chip on the windshield. How much did it cost to have it replaced? I got a quote for $315, but I don't think the replacement is OEM. Any help is appreciated. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's 2016 Pilot EX-L just got a chip on the windshield. How much did it cost to have it replaced? I got a quote for $315, but I don't think the replacement is OEM. Any help is appreciated. Happy New Year!
We used safelite, they worked through the insurance. They used an OEM Honda windshield, and did a good job, I would highly recommend.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Anyone ever think of trying to cover the windshield with a clear plastic sheet? Like the stuff you use on headlight resto. Basically like car wrap. I bet if it went on real smooth it would work and save a lot of chips. Thoughts!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Anyone ever think of trying to cover the windshield with a clear plastic sheet? Like the stuff you use on headlight resto. Basically like car wrap. I bet if it went on real smooth it would work and save a lot of chips. Thoughts!
Back around 2010 I had a windshield film applied to our new Chevrolet Traverse. I had the 3M film applied at the time on the front bumper and hood and the installer had just been certified by a company to do the windshield film (Not 3M). It actually worked pretty well for the first year, but then scratches started showing up, there was distortion when the sun hit it just right, and you had to be careful when cleaning bugs and other road debris off it.

I found out that it was supposed to be replaced every year or so at an additional charge of course. I had it removed when it got to be too distracting while driving and didn't replace it. I was living in Texas at the time and don't know how much the 100 degree plus days might have also affected it.

NASCAR was using something similar, but they were a multi layer product and each layer could be peeled off during a pit stop around that time period. I don't know what products they use now, or what is available for consumer vehicles to protect the windshield. If I recall, mine was from a company in Denver.

NASCAR Windshield Protective Film 2008

Do a Google or other search for "Windshield protective film for cars" and you will find some products. I haven't looked at any of them, but apparently they are still an option from some companies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts